Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Report birth after relinquishing citizenship  (Read 370 times)

• Liked: 0
Report birth after relinquishing citizenship
« on: July 13, 2015, 04:07:19 PM »
My application for UK citizenship has just been approved (yay!). I intend to relinquish my US citizenship on taking British citizenship.

However, I realised after I sent my application that I've never done a consular report of birth abroad for my youngest. Obviously we'll need to do this to get her a US passport.

Do I need to do the consular report before I have my citizenship ceremony/relinquish my US citizenship? I believe her right to US citizenship is based on my citizenship at the time of her birth, so I don't see any reason that it would matter . . . but I don't want to mess things up, so I'll squeeze in the embassy appointment before the ceremony if I have to.

I wish this had occurred to me before I sent off my naturalisation application, but oh well, no use crying over spilt milk. Thanks in advance!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Report birth after relinquishing citizenship
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
I think you are correct, but give the Embassy a call just to double check.  You get to talk to a human there.   :)

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:29 PM »
Thank you for your advice! Have been unable to get through to the embassy, unfortunately -- phone tree led me to somebody who refused to answer but gave me an email, and emails have also gone unanswered! So we've scheduled an appointment to report the birth before I go to my citizenship ceremony.

We've run into another problem with childcare -- everybody who can babysit our oldest child seems to be on holiday at the moment. Will they allow him into the embassy for his younger sister's appointment? He's five, so not exactly a potential threat . . . but the website says only the applicant and the parents of a minor applicant. Anybody know?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:48:34 PM »
You can definitely bring your other children with you.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:45 PM »
Quick reply! Thank you so much for your help, I was working myself into a panic. :)

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab