Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: "have you ever been issued a visa"  (Read 617 times)

• Liked: 0
"have you ever been issued a visa"
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »
My husband and I disagree on this so I wanted to ask experts.  When I have gone for visits ( 2 or 3 weeks at a time) to the UK my passport is stamped on the Visa's pages and not looking at it right now but I think the stamp even says "visa" but that is not what they mean by this question correct?  That does not qualify as a visa...right?

• Liked: 4985
Re: "have you ever been issued a visa"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:28:55 PM »
He's right.  Those stamps as a visitor are visas issued at the border.  If it asks if you've been granted a visa for leave to remain, then no.  But if it's any visa at all, the visits as a tourist count.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
Actually, I'm the one that kept saying to him that "it says right there, VISA" so I was right! Just wasn't sure of it ha!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »
Whew!

• Liked: 38
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »
Wait oh my god what?!

I have visited the UK for about three weeks this last year and my passport was stamped at the border. On my tier 4 application, it asked if I had ever been issued a visa before and I put no??

It then asked if I ever visited the UK and I said yes and gave the correct dates.

Will I be denied for saying no? I didn't know that a stamp was an actual visa issuing.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:27:46 PM »
Wait oh my god what?!

I have visited the UK for about three weeks this last year and my passport was stamped at the border. On my tier 4 application, it asked if I had ever been issued a visa before and I put no??

It then asked if I ever visited the UK and I said yes and gave the correct dates.

Will I be denied for saying no? I didn't know that a stamp was an actual visa issuing.

No, it shouldn't be a problem.

Whether you should count a visitor visa stamp as being 'issued a visa' for that question on the application form has been a debate here on UK-Y for years - some say yes and some say no.

There doesn't seem to be a solid, definite answer on whether they mean visas applied for before arriving in the UK or also visitor visa stamps, so really it doesn't matter which you put.

As you said, you have to list all your trips to the UK anyway, so they will see that you entered as a visitor and were issued one at the border, even if you ticked 'No' for that question on the form.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
I would have left mine that way too Charmkac if I hadn't asked here.  My husband kept insisting it wasn't a visa and so I did it the way he said. If it's 'yes' then it's a repetitive question because only one question in between later it asks you to list the dates of up to your five our most recent visits to the UK giving the exact same info. I wondered about that but it is stamped in the passport on the visa's page. Oivey, this should be straightforward and the questions are short enough for you to think they are, until they aren't!

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »
Okay so you are saying that I should be fine and even if I pressed yes to that question it only asks when I was in the UK?

So basically I already answered it?

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 09:14:44 PM »
Okay so you are saying that I should be fine and even if I pressed yes to that question it only asks when I was in the UK?

So basically I already answered it?

Yes - people answer either 'yes' or 'no' all the time, even if they have visited the UK, and it's never mattered - it shouldn't affect anything.

The applications asks:

- Have you travelled to the UK in the last 10 years?
So you list all visits to the UK in the last 10 years (you will have been issued with a visitor visa for each of these trips), as well as any times you've lived in the UK on other visas.

- Have you travelled outside your country of residence (excluding to the UK) in the last 10 years?
So you list all the trips outside the US you have made in the last 10 years that haven't been to the UK.

- Have you been granted any UK visa/EEA Family Permit in
the last 10 years?
So you list all UK visas you have been granted in the last 10 years.

Now the confusion comes in the interpretation of 'granted' - most people will assume that means any visas that they have physically applied for which involved filling out a visa application, but technically your visitor stamps are also visas.

Ultimately though, the point of the third question is to find out if you have lived in the UK on other visas in the last 10 years - work, student, fiance, spousal etc.. So, as long as you list those types of visas (if you've had any), that's the most important thing. The visitor visa stamps are more of a grey area and whether you answer yes or no, it's never made a difference before.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
Thank you guys. I hope I won't be denied off of something as teeny as that. I always find something new to have anxiety over. Cannot wait until they give me a decision

Sponsored Links