Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did you meet your spouse?  (Read 15265 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: How did you meet your spouse?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 10:21:52 PM »
You shouldn't be looking for a partner simply because of the country he/she comes from. As anyone here can tell you, it's not a fairy-tale story. Being interested in the British accent, or literature, or comedy, what have you, is a ludicrous reason to seek a British partner. Your life will remain much less complicated if you appreciate the American men around you. At best, you sound whimsical. At worst, ditsy.

I live in Texas.  I have next to nothing in common with the American men around me.  My politics, my tastes, my hobbies.... you name it, and despite being born and bred here, the culture didn't rub off onto me.  :)

Because of past and present friendships and relationships, I do know that I have far more in common with Brits, whether I meet them here, there, or online.  I have been a serious Anglophile all my life, but truly never thought about marrying a Brit until I met my former fiance.  I apologise if I came across whimsical and ditsy to you, but in fact, I am intelligent, resourceful, and thoughtful.  I'd never have made it this far in life otherwise.

• : Anglophile/Jersey Girl :
    • el yeoj
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 10:44:35 PM »
Have you guys seen the Google ads on the side?  Haha!  ;D
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
-Albert Einstein

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 09:28:26 AM »
yeah.....right before bed last night i got the crooned....... 'i love you daaaaaling'.

*sigh*  all i did was smile and think of this thread.  :)

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 09:29:52 AM »
also, i fell in love with london before i fell in love with my husband.  that happened a few years later......so i think my parents knew by hook or by crook i'd be marrying a brit and living here for a while.  ;)

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2004, 04:39:07 PM »
Just make sure you understand that being in a long distance relationship takes a lot of work. Once you meet you do not want to be apart. Most often one can't stay with the other. Money is involved with visas, flights and phone bills. I never went looking and found a good guy. Many are not! Be wise and listen to your mind, falling in love is a drug.

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 06:57:29 PM »
I had always known I would fall for a foreigner...I just never felt at home with Americans.  I just wish that someone had told me how hard it is to have a international relationship with family and friends strewn across three continents!  It would have been much easier in many ways to fall for the next door neighbour!  Oh well, as ukladybug says, "love is a drug"!!!!
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• Liked: 12
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2004, 09:35:39 PM »
Just make sure you understand that being in a long distance relationship takes a lot of work. Once you meet you do not want to be apart.

That's so true! It's amazing what being in love will make you sacrifice, even leaving your own country and everything you know without even really knowing what you're in for. It goes against your better judgment. It's a TON of work and sometimes very painful. I still have moments where I think about where I am now and can't believe that I'm actually here! Just be extra extra careful in an international relationship that the one you meet REALLY is worth giving up your life as you know it for, or you'll get the much shorter end of the stick if it doesn't work out.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 10:01:44 PM by Honeybee »
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 10:58:21 PM »
yeah.....right before bed last night i got the crooned....... 'i love you daaaaaling'.

I love it when my husband says that to me as well.....I also love when he calls me 'lovey' (imagine in a Yorkshire accent) ;D
If I married an American, I probably would have never been called these things in that way. I absolutely love hearing it!   :)

My husband and I met in a chat room on AOL 6 years ago called; Stressed out adults.  ;D ;D  Actually he was talking with my sister when I grabbed the key board from her and was just completely myself, a bit on the exaggerated side though, cause my thought was I was never going to meet him or see what he looked like so I thought I'd have fun with it.....HA! little did I know that a year and abit later, we would be married and I would be living over here in the UK.  ;D
But I wouldn't have changed it for the world about how we met and got to know each other.
We were apart for most of that year, writing letters and phone calls which on his phone, tallied up to be about £1500 and on my phone about $450. But writing to each other and talking to each other on the phone helped us 'stay together' while we were apart.

Moll
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 02:11:15 PM by SIandMoll »

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 10:20:45 AM »
Snowbunny: you are entitled to your opinions or thoughts ....we welcome ditsy thoughts with open arms ;D

I didn't travel over to the UK with the intention of meeting up or marrying a Brit. I was given an opportunity to study/work abroad and I took it. I met hubs in the flat where I stayed.

if you could I would advise to come over and stay for a bit (LEGALLY of course)  ...there are many of volunteering/intership programs out here. My first experience in the UK was working in the Rhonda Valley on a Easter holiday Playscheme.

There's many online places that offer friendship/dating like yahoo groups as well.

anyway good luck. :)
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2005, 11:23:41 AM »
If we're going to revive this thread please keep it civil. There is no point dredging up a thread from last November just to have a pop at someone.

Thank you.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 11:32:46 AM »
If we're going to revive this thread please keep it civil. There is no point dredging up a thread from last November just to have a pop at someone.

Thank you.

Here here, Britwife.  Everyone was getting so nasty with each other there for awhile (Mercury in retrograde or whatever :P) -- it wasn't much fun to visit the site.  Now that people have started to play nice again -- please let's keep it civil (as you said). :)  Just be nice.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2005, 01:13:34 PM »

Thank you.
I agree Carolyn_b but couldn't this be addressed through PM ...I've noticed that there have been some episodes of posts being deleted..why couldn't that be done??? I'm not having a go or anything ..mind you :-[

...it's a good topic to address as I've known a few people that become enchanted with a different culture and don't properly research things and get entangled with someone only find out things the hard way... :P 

Peace
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Baa!
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2005, 04:15:37 PM »

Thank you.

Sorry, it was late when I wrote my reply, and I didn't look at the date of the original post.  I saw Alicia's comments and I thought it was more recent. 

I wasn't trying to have a "pop" at anyone.  I really just thought the manner that Snowbunny was being addressed was unjust.

I've deleted my post to avoid further conflict.
"Anyone who burns his backside must himself sit upon it." - Scottish Gaelic Proverb

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2005, 04:40:44 PM »
I met my hubby in a IRC chatroom..in March of 1997......he was married..I was married........both unhappily married..we got unmarried and here we are 8yrs later and we have been married for 7 yrs......

I have always been fascinated with the UK and Europe...I used to read alot as a kid and it was mainly historical romances and history books and they were always set in the UK......I loved them...

I always wanted to find my Prince Charming.........and I did....or at least I think of him that ways not today I'm pissed off with him today.......... >:( :(

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2005, 05:33:27 PM »
I always wanted to find my Prince Charming.........and I did....or at least I think of him that ways not today I'm pissed off with him today.......... >:( :(

aww, some days they are Princes, other days they are frogs. I hope things work out. Don't stay pissed at him for long, give him a kiss and he'll turn back into a Prince.  ;)

I met my husband 20 years ago in a marina bar-cafe. I can remember it as if it was yesterday. He walked through the back door of the cafe and I took one look at him and knew he would be my husband. Within 15 minutes we were introduced by mutual friends and we've been together ever since. Many people told me it wouldn't last as we are polar opposites and don't have much in common. he he

Surely, we've had our up and downs through the years, but we stick it out because we're best friends and sincerely care about one another. The interesting bit is that I keep falling in love with him, over and over again! We absolutely adore each other...but of course there have been days I wanted to strangle him!   

In reference to previous posts, I have always preferred foreign men over American men. My guy is from Germany and the majority of my boyfriends previous to him were foreigners as well. If you prefer foreign men and/or British men...go for it! You shouldn't settle for anything less than what you want and what attracts you.

Best,
K

"The artist is not a person endowed with free will who seeks his own ends, but one who allows art to realize its purposes through him. As a human being he may have moods and a will and personal aims, but as an artist he is 'man' in a higher sense - he is 'collective man', a vehicle and molder of the unconscious psychic life of mankind"
--Carl Jung

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab