Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did you meet your spouse?  (Read 15262 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: How did you meet your spouse?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2005, 08:49:13 PM »
I agree Carolyn_b but couldn't this be addressed through PM ...I've noticed that there have been some episodes of posts being deleted..why couldn't that be done??? I'm not having a go or anything ..mind you :-[

...it's a good topic to address as I've known a few people that become enchanted with a different culture and don't properly research things and get entangled with someone only find out things the hard way... :P 

Peace

And every time posts are deleted or a thread is locked, a new thread is started to discuss the whys and wherefores ...

Thankyou Hummingbird for deleting your post voluntarily and thank you everyone else for staying on topic.

On with the dance! I mean the thread!  ;D

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2005, 09:23:25 PM »
*sigh*

Hummingbird sorry there mate... like I said I wasn't having a go ...I saw SIandMol's response and responded to the topic wasn't paying attention to dates ..I didn't know there was a statue of limitations on responding to post :-[
argh well it's only a forum *shrugs*

back on Topic:

I never specifically looked for foreign men ...I just never tended to look :-\\\\ and I didn't want a long distance relationship because most of my classmates in college were dating their armed forces bf's only to have too much to deal with the trust issues. Relationships are hard enough to tack on more variables to complicate things :P

I have to say it is true you do marry your parents :-[...Phil is completely the opposite on some thing but there are some qualities that are similar to my dad :o  the weird inventor trait is similar . When we spend time with the In laws I have seen some idiosyncrasies that I share with his mum  :-\\\\:-X

But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Baa!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2005, 10:51:57 PM »
*sigh*

Hummingbird sorry there mate... like I said I wasn't having a go ...I saw SIandMol's response and responded to the topic wasn't paying attention to dates ..I didn't know there was a statue of limitations on responding to post :-[
argh well it's only a forum *shrugs*

Oh, no worries, Alicia!  I did the exact same thing -- it was late and tiredness prevented me from thinking to check the date of the orignial post.  I just assumed it was current because others had responded recently, and my "defense mode" kicked in lol

Now I think it's time for a round of drinkies...*pours virtual wine for everybody* (or beer, depending on preference! ;D)
"Anyone who burns his backside must himself sit upon it." - Scottish Gaelic Proverb

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2005, 09:18:28 PM »
I'll drink to that!

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2005, 10:24:19 PM »
OH!  My husband doesn't say that.  He won't grow his sideburns slightly longer either.  Damnit. 

Jamie only said it once! Blah.

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2005, 01:25:38 AM »
I met my welsh boy on match.com.  his profile said he loved curly hair and I had to say hello.  before I noticed he was from the UK!  I had no intention of actually meeting anyone on that site, except just to have a chat with.  It was a bonus he was british and had a fabulous accent!  We know more about each other because of the distance between us.  We have spoke on the phone everyday since the day we met (except for my 3 days at burning man!).  And got married after 7 months!!!

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2006, 10:25:59 PM »
We met at a democrat conference in DC, she was the smart one cute one, the next year she came to work with me in Scotland, i happened to have a spare bedroom and well the rest is history. She arrived in MArch 2004, we got engaged in August and married in the states in November, had our first child July 2005 and number 2 is due in December this year.

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 04:04:53 PM »
We met randomly on AOL in Oct/Nov 1998...wasn't looking specifically for a relationship or a  Brit, but was into British culture and he read my AOL profile and decided to IM me. The rest is history  ;D
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

• Liked: 1
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »
My husband and I met in a UK Yahoo chat room. I had gotten home from work, was hanging out at home bored out of my mind, and visited a few chat rooms. On a whim, I went into a UK chat room, and he IM'd me. He was a perfet gentleman (which i'd say is somewhat rare). Needless to say, we fell head-over-heels.  ;D

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2006, 09:04:20 PM »
At a SciFi Fantasy club meeting in a bar on a University campus here in the UK.  He came up and played 20 questions with me, and I was totally uninterested, until he mentioned that he and his friends went out dancing often on Fridays!   ::)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2006, 01:33:53 AM »
I was bored one night so I was surfing the net I was also waiting for 1 of my friends to come online but they were late as usual. so I went into a yahoo chat room just to see who was in there if anyone else I knew was online. I wasnt looking for anything online if anything maybe a new friend to chat with who cud be on time. my dh had a unsual user name so I sent him a pm he was a perfect gentleman. which was surprising cause as we all know most men arent online. I was totally floored when I found out he was a Brit & interested in me! we talked online for hours that night about everything & anything. after that fortunate night we talked on the computer on a daily basis. then after a while we started talking on the phone at a set time everyday. we both had microphones but he had web cam I didnt but after 4 monthes of talking he talked me into getting a webcam. wasnt sure he wud like me so I didnt want to burst my happy bubble just yet. he said the sweetest thing to me when he saw me for the first time. he said I was even prettier than the way he pictured I looked. needless to say I was a goner after the first night we talked. the rest you cud say is history. this November will be our 2 year Wedding Anniversary. makes me glad I waited to get married we r so compatiable I often have to pinch myself to make sure Im not dreaming.

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »
In a bar on Hallowe'en night.  I was dressed as Raggedy Ann, he was dressed as a priest.  we've been inseparable ever since - married 17 years.
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

• British and Texan (and ape)
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2007, 08:04:44 PM »
I had never dated an Australian before I met my husband, and when I put an ad online in January 2005 on a London-based bulletin board, I didn't expect to meet an Aussie (thought London is of course very diverse and multi-cultural). 

So I guess my point is maybe to keep an open mind because you never know where your true love will be from.

Turns out in spite of me being a Texas and Michael being an Aussie, we have a lot in common - more so I would guess than someone from another state within the USA (given some of the interstate rivalry that exists).

Good luck!!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 02:48:09 PM »
I had never dated an Australian before I met my husband, and when I put an ad online in January 2005 on a London-based bulletin board, I didn't expect to meet an Aussie (thought London is of course very diverse and multi-cultural). 

I'd put money on that being 'Gumtree'!!!

;D

Vicky

• British and Texan (and ape)
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2007, 09:11:59 PM »
I'd put money on that being 'Gumtree'!!!

;D

Vicky

Vicky, you'd be absolutely right!   ;)

Amazing how much that one website has impacted my life - I've found flatshares (prior to "flatsharing" with my husband!), travel mates, our wedding photographer, movers, various bits of furniture, and I've also sold various bits and bobs there as well.  And I met one of the UK Yankee members as a result of selling some gloves on the gumtree, so that's how I ended up here!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab