Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did you meet your spouse?  (Read 15280 times)

• British and Texan (and ape)
  • Liked: 0
Re: How did you meet your spouse?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2007, 09:20:53 PM »
I live in Texas.  I have next to nothing in common with the American men around me.  My politics, my tastes, my hobbies.... you name it, and despite being born and bred here, the culture didn't rub off onto me.  :)

Because of past and present friendships and relationships, I do know that I have far more in common with Brits, whether I meet them here, there, or online.  I have been a serious Anglophile all my life, but truly never thought about marrying a Brit until I met my former fiance.  I apologise if I came across whimsical and ditsy to you, but in fact, I am intelligent, resourceful, and thoughtful.  I'd never have made it this far in life otherwise.

I can relate - I was born and raised in Texas, and feel the same about having felt little in common with Texan men.  I was an English lit major (undergrad, with an MS in HR Management) and was an Anglophile from an early age.  I still have a rose-tinted love of the UK in spite of knowing some of the hard realities from living here for the past 7 years.

My father and I are very similar, and he was never happy in any of the Texas cities he lived in until he moved to Austin in his late 50s.  And in his mid-50s, he met his soulmate, also a life-long Texan, and also atypical of the average Texan, and they are very happy with each other and with their life in Austin.

As I mentioned on another post about meeting my Australian husband on the gumtree, why not give something like that a go?  I had 50 responses to my gumtree ad from men of many different nationalities, and I screened people based on the content of their emails, not their nationality, and happened to meet someone who wrote exactly like I would write, so it was no surprise to discover we were compatible once we started chatting on the phone, then finally starting a relationship in person, etc.

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2007, 10:10:07 AM »
I met my husband when I was studying abroad at UCL 6 years ago. I was one of 3 American study abroad students placed in a large Hall of Residence. My husband lived next door to one of these Americans, who I had become friendly with. We soon started hanging out, and became friends, and the rest is hitsory.

I went back to UCL for my MA, and then we endured 3 years of long distance before getting married last October. It was difficult but we both wanted to make sure we were completely ready to get married when we finally did.

• Midwestern Yank
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 11:24:10 PM »
I met my fiancee on an amateur voice acting board in 2001.  Kind of strange, really, haha, but we had a couple of the same friends on the board and started talking...turned out we had a lot in common, but we were only 16 at the time so he was just another online friend.

But one thing led to another, we talked constantly, and by the time I got to college, I had the time (christmas vacation) and enough cash saved up to meet him in person.

Nearly 6 years later now, and we're planning on a late fall wedding to finally end the LDR!
Dec 7, 2007 - Moved to UK
Feb 15, '11-Citizenship ceremony
March 8, '11-UK passport received

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »
We met online 6 years ago [smiley=love.gif]

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 03:21:37 PM »
I was studying abroad my final year of University and I met my husband in a bar!! Not exactly the old fashion way but its the 21st century.  From my experiences British guys LOVE American girls.

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2007, 09:47:39 PM »
I wasn't looking for love, let alone British love, when I met my husband through an online game.  He pursued me secretly, finding stuff out about me.  Actually writing that out makes it sound sort of creepy, but it really wasn't.  When I found out (about a month later after we'd been talking for a while), I found it to be very sweet.

I have dated mostly Americans, but the only time I was engaged before my husband was to a Canadian.  I was always a slight anglophile.   When I was around 10 years old, I was convinced I was a Brit trapped in an American body.  It lasted a few months, and I was convinced I was someday going to live in the UK.  After that passed, the only time I considered living in the UK longer than a visit was when I was living in Europe on exchange and I didn't want to go home.  I soon found that the rules were not going to allow me to stay there.  Then I didn't even think about it for about 11 years.

I don't think that I am drawn to British men in particular, although I think that my husband's Britishness is very sexy.  It seems logical to me that someone would then be more attracted to Brits after a failed relationship (provided the Britishness didn't drive you apart).  It's like that sexiness receptor becomes activated or something. ;)

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2007, 10:46:42 PM »
I was studying abroad my final year of University and I met my husband in a bar!! Not exactly the old fashion way but its the 21st century.  From my experiences British guys LOVE American girls.

ME TOO!!!

I'm endlessly ashamed of having been picked up in a pub (on St Patricks Day and not in full control of my faculties), but in the UK that seems pretty common. I thought all his friends would think I as a bit trashy because of it, but that's how most of them met their girlfriends too. A cultural difference I suppose.

Sponsored Links