Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Waiting times for nationality and right of abode applications  (Read 872 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Waiting times for nationality and right of abode applications
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:01:28 AM »
This is a question for anyone, but particularly Garry - I was naturalised in 2001 and have been meaning for some time to apply for a Right of Abode sticker in my US passport (this was recommended to me at the time of my naturalisation by my solicitor). I finally got around to doing this recently.

On the IND web site it says something about 3 month waiting times for this.

I just did this the other day, because I don't anticipate having to go to the US until February. I had to send my US passport, my naturalisation certificate, two photographs etc.

Question: Is it really going to take 3 months to affix a sticker in my passport? That seems somewhat preposterous - my case is straightforward, isn't it?

Re: Waiting times for nationality and right of abode applications
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 10:26:50 AM »
3 months is their estimate of the time it takes, but 3 - 5 weeks is the norm I've been seeing.  It's seasonal for some reason also.  You'll be comfortably stamped in well before Feb...

• Hi there.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 10:31:01 AM »
Thanks, Garry! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 11:07:01 AM »
Um what is a Right of Abode sticker please?  I'm feeling too lazy to go look it up. ;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 11:42:55 AM »
Um what is a Right of Abode sticker please?  I'm feeling too lazy to go look it up. ;D

:) He mispelt it.  It's really a "Right of Adobe" sticker, it's a special thing type of visa for those with Navaho roots.   ;D  :D  ;D

• Hi there.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 11:44:55 AM »
If you are a dual citizen, you can have a sticker placed into your foreign passport to show that you have "Right of Abode", i.e. you are not subject to immigration control. Basically in my case it is just for travelling to and from the US because the US authorities want you to show your American passport (and I don't have anything in the new American passport showing that I have residence rights in Britain).

Also - if the UK passport gets lost or I need to send it in for some reason, I can travel into the UK on the American one if necessary - the right of abode sticker shows my entitlement to reside here.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 11:48:32 AM »
Groovy.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 11:51:34 AM »
Now, here's a question: how much do they charge for this sticker?
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Hi there.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 12:09:05 PM »
£20

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 12:11:27 PM »
Wow!  I would have thought the sticker itself cost that and then add another £100+ for the HO to affix it.   ::)
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 12:12:49 PM »

:) He mispelt it.  It's really a "Right of Adobe" sticker, it's a special thing type of visa for those with Navaho roots. 

Sadly, incorrect, the Right to Adobe guarantees software updates. Due to a little known clause in intellectual property rights as a result of the 1780s Treaty of Paris, regarding Loyalist Americans' renumeration for seized property, binationals can claim preferential treatment to all design and pagelayout programs.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 01:25:34 PM »
Sadly, incorrect, the Right to Adobe guarantees software updates. Due to a little known clause in intellectual property rights as a result of the 1780s Treaty of Paris, regarding Loyalist Americans' renumeration for seized property, binationals can claim preferential treatment to all design and pagelayout programs.

I heard that since Benjamin Franklin couldn't be there to sign the treaty, that a little known functionary, P. D. Effphile, was sent instead.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 01:43:17 PM »
Along with his deputy, J.P. Egh.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 01:51:47 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 02:10:04 PM »
Along with his deputy, J.P. Egh.

Well, you know what they always say:  "Abode in the hand is worth two in the bush..."

Sponsored Links