Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tier 2 ICT to dependent of Tier 2 genral as unmarried partner  (Read 593 times)

• Liked: 0
Tier 2 ICT to dependent of Tier 2 genral as unmarried partner
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »
Hi there - appreciate any help or info you all can provide.  My long term girlfriend of 5 years (3+ living separately in the US) and almost 2 together in London.  I have a Tier 2 ICT that's been renewed once, but which expires at the end of this year, and my company is considering bringing me back to the US at that time.  My girlfriends Tier 2 general visa is good through the end of 2016 and will likely be extended if she wishes.  I've read a lot on here about a number of different scenarios regarding fiance visas and spouse visas, but I haven't found a clear answer for my specific scenario. 

What are my options for continuing my stay in the UK?  Is it possible to be a dependent of my girlfriend as an unmarried partner or similar?  From what I have read, any sort of change to my own Tier 2 (either to a new company on an ICT, which is perhaps not even feasible, or Tier 2 General) would require a cooling off period of 12 months.

Any thoughts on the switch or possible options would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance, and please let me know if any additional details are required to provide input.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Tier 2 ICT to dependent of Tier 2 genral as unmarried partner
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:38:05 AM »
You can switch to a Tier 2 General dependent visa quite easily.

As long as you have two full years of proof of living together, you can do it unmarried.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »
Sorry to dig this up again, but I just wanted to verify if I would be able to both live in and work on that Tier 2 General dependent visa?   I understand that I can live here and come and go, but I would be able to work on that visa as well?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
Yes, you can.  This is an area that UKVI is talking about changing so there is the potential this could change in the future.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »
Thanks again!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »
Yes, you can.  This is an area that UKVI is talking about changing so there is the potential this could change in the future.

These revamp of the Tier 2 work visas should be out any day now and you would need to watch for any changes, not only for their dependants but for the Tier 2 visa holders too.

I assume you know that your time on the ICT visa does not count towards your 5 years for ILR?

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »
Yes - I am aware that I have a max of 5 years and likely will not be staying that long.  I will keep an eye out for any changes.

An additional question though, my fiancĂ©'s company doesn't plan to renew her visa until ~90 days before her's expires, which is in November of this year.  I understand that when I apply to be her dependent, my visa will align with her expiration.  However, my question is whether or not I will need to re-apply for a dependent visa once her's expires or if mine will automatically be extended as well? 

I am trying to avoid paying a visa application fee twice if the first time I apply will only last me 4 or 5 months.  I may be forced to apply early though as my employment with my current company and my corresponding ICT visa will expire in June of this year.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »
I will keep an eye out for any changes.

The government have announced they will be responding to the MAC report later in the year.

However, my question is whether or not I will need to re-apply for a dependent visa once her's expires or if mine will automatically be extended as well? 

You need to apply again and pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. Your fiance wil also need to pay the IHS when she extends her visa.

I am trying to avoid paying a visa application fee twice if the first time I apply will only last me 4 or 5 months. 

You will have to pay for each visa application.

I'm not sure if you will have to buy a good health insurance because with a visa of 6 months or less, you now pay for any use of the NHS "at point of use". If you don't get offered the chance to pay the Immigratition Health Surcharge with that first visa, then you will need to buy health insurance.
https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/overview

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »

The government have announced they will be responding to the MAC report later in the year.

They responded to it today. I've put it on the Advisories board.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 05:43:22 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links