Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Requesting blood work  (Read 1331 times)

• Liked: 21
Requesting blood work
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
Because I've never done so before, how do I go about requesting blood work from my GP? At my last blood test in the US (way too long ago) one of my thyroid levels was a bit elevated so my doctor ordered two additional thyroid tests, which were normal. At the time it was just something to keep an eye on. Now, I'm concerned that the condition may have progressed due to some symptoms I've been experiencing.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Requesting blood work
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:20 AM »
Just make an appointment with your GP, tell them your history and symptoms, and they should do your blood tests straight away. I have a thyroid condition too, and when I went to see my GP about my symptoms, she took my blood right there and tested me for diabetes and pregnancy as well, just to cover the bases. I had the test results by noon the following day and a prescription by that evening. YMMV of course (my GP is in a quiet village, not very busy) but that's what I did :).
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:00:44 AM »
I've only had blood tests done once - I went to the GP because I was tired and run-down and my mum suggested maybe it was anaemia.

I just mentioned my concerns to the doctor and said he would send me for blood tests. He made a note of a few things to test for and then told me to book an appointment with a nurse to have the blood drawn - easy as that :).

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
Twice I went to my GP in London and was referred to the blood test centre at the hospital.

It was a walk-in, no appointment needed (just queued for 10 minutes), and the sample took less than 5 minutes. All I had to bring was my referral sheet from my GP.

I could have gone any time during their opening hours (M-F business hours, I think) but both times I went the next day.

They sent the results back to my GP within 5-7 days.

The only thing that bothered me about the whole process was that they'd only call if there was anything abnormal (there wasn't so I received no call) but I was able get a print out of the results for my records.

Even though my GP didn't proactively offer me the referral, I wanted to be tested since there are thyroid issues in my family. She happily wrote me the referral without trying to convince me otherwise (although she did assure me it was probably nothing to worry about). The tests came back normal, but I was happy to be tested and know for sure it's nothing to worry about.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 21
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »
Thanks, I will make an appointment with my GP! Yeah, I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teenager and from what I've read, there's a correlation between that and hypothyroidism. I've been managing my PCOS with medication for years now, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if I have a thyroid condition too. What got me concerned recently is that my eyebrow hairs have been falling out for no apparent reason!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 12
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:06:29 AM »
I had bloods done recently at the GP.  I keep getting 'invitations' every year to come in for a health check of my 'ongoing condition'  Seems they have me down as hypertensive -- which is not the case ( ::))  The nurse agreed my BP was fine but drew blood as long as I was there.  I had to phone after a week for results and all they would say was "normal"  Don't even know what they tested for.  I'm going to go in and see if they will print out the results.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 533
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
I keep getting 'invitations' every year to come in for a health check of my 'ongoing condition'  Seems they have me down as hypertensive -- which is not the case ( ::)

That's comforting isn't it? According to them are you also a 55 year old, heavy-set male?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »
That's comforting isn't it? According to them are you also a 55 year old, heavy-set male?

One wonders ...
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
Thanks, I will make an appointment with my GP! Yeah, I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teenager and from what I've read, there's a correlation between that and hypothyroidism. I've been managing my PCOS with medication for years now, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if I have a thyroid condition too. What got me concerned recently is that my eyebrow hairs have been falling out for no apparent reason!

Definitely go have a chat with your GP. Whilst it's a good starting point to google symptoms, it's not really much use to internet diagnose yourself.   A good GP would want to have a chat with your about your symptoms and then help figure it all out.  Hopefully you figure it all out.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 04:09:51 PM »
Got the details of recent blood work.  Certainly not as extensive as US reports and measurements seem different.  Evidently American labs use a different metric system.  The rest of the world uses something called Systeme Internationale.  Don't know how they relate.   ???

Anyway, I'm "normal"   ::)
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

Sponsored Links