Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Breast Cancer Survivor, Moving to the UK and Followup  (Read 1260 times)

• Liked: 0
Breast Cancer Survivor, Moving to the UK and Followup
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:12:18 PM »
I'm an American married to a Brit and we are planning to move to the UK permanently in Sept, 2015.

I'm hoping that someone can share their experience with me. I was diagnosed with triple positive breast cancer in 2010 and spent all of 2011 in treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation and Herceptin). I am beginning my 5th and final year of taking Tamoxifen and I plan to get 12 months worth of medication before I arrive in the UK if possible.

Luckily I'm back to "routine" followup as all of my scans and blood tests have been clear and it's been almost 5 years since diagnosis. I'm 46 years old currently. Here in the US I'm having annual mammograms because of the history and high risk nature of the breast cancer. I had the last mammogram in Jan, 2015. Does the UK have a similar standard i.e. will I be able to get an annual mammogram based on my history? If it is not standard of care in the UK can I pay to have an annual mammogram?

Would love to hear from others who have transitioned to UK healthcare after breast cancer treatment in the US.
June 2004 marriage in the US
2004-2015 living in the US
22 July 2015: Online Spousal Visa Application completed, Healthcare surcharge paid online
27 July 2015: Biometrics completed
28 July 2015: Non-Priority Application sent to Sheffield via courier
30 July 2015: Sheffield email confirmation that application was received
14 Aug 2015: emailed Sheffield to request "compassionate consideration" due to terminally ill family member in England
15 Aug 2015: Received email that "decision has been made"
18 Aug 2015: Received Visa valid for 33 months!

• Liked: 3597
Re: Breast Cancer Survivor, Moving to the UK and Followup
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 08:32:24 PM »
No personal experience I'm afraid, but in terms of how the NHS provides mammograms, generally, they don't give routine mammograms until the age of 50 (and up to age 70), though in England they are in the process of extending this to age 47 to 73. Routine mammograms are done on a 3-yearly basis.

However, if you are at risk of or have a history of breast cancer, they will screen more often and from a younger age.

You shouldn't have to pay anything - it should just be a case of registering with an NHS GP, telling them your medical history and asking for more regular screenings.

See these sites for more information:
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/breast-cancer/about/screening/who-is-screened-for-breast-cancer

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/breastscreen/index.html

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:43 PM »
Thanks for the web links-very useful information. I'm going to see my oncologist one last time in the US before I move and he will write a summary of my treatment so that I can take it to the GP in the UK. It looks like it's possible to get more frequent mammograms in the UK if you are at risk so that puts my mind at ease. I need to stay vigilant because I'm at risk of recurrence.
June 2004 marriage in the US
2004-2015 living in the US
22 July 2015: Online Spousal Visa Application completed, Healthcare surcharge paid online
27 July 2015: Biometrics completed
28 July 2015: Non-Priority Application sent to Sheffield via courier
30 July 2015: Sheffield email confirmation that application was received
14 Aug 2015: emailed Sheffield to request "compassionate consideration" due to terminally ill family member in England
15 Aug 2015: Received email that "decision has been made"
18 Aug 2015: Received Visa valid for 33 months!

• Liked: 85
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
Hello from a fellow breast cancer survivor,  I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in 2009 and ended up having double mastectomy and chemo.  I moved back to UK in April this year and once I was registered with a GP they refered me to the Oncoligist at my local hospital.  I have just had my first appointment with my new oncoligist.  I brought with me all the pathology reports from my surgery and also all my scans on disk and a full report from my Oncoligist in Boston.  I photocopied everything and gave it to my new oncoligist at my first visit.  I will be seen on a 6 month basis for the next 3 years with a scan every year and if all is still clear after 3 years I will see them yearly with a scan every other year. I was also given access to a Nurse led clinic where I can phone at anytime if I am worried about anything or need support. Hope this helps..
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
Hello friends, I am a new member named Chris, nice to meet everyone.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab