Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just arrived in UK !!  (Read 5033 times)

• Liked: 0
Just arrived in UK !!
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »
Hello,
We are here in the UK.  We received so much wonderful help and advice through the crazy visa process.  I thought this would be a good place to ask "What do we do now?"  lol
My husband is the American.  He has applied for his Provisional Driver's licence today.  I know he can drive for a year on his US one but he is interested in a job that requires a UK licence.
A few questions:
How does he go about getting a National Insurance number?
I was advised to get him a Notice of Correction to prove address in UK?

Any suggestions on how to build credit?
Advice on where we can get credit cards?
Open bank accounts?

I am British but have lived out of the UK for 17 years so I am starting from scratch too.  I have an online British savings account so I am going to see if I can turn it into a current account. Maybe I can add my husband to it?

Is there anything I missed?  All is quite unfamiliar to me too so there is probably something I have not thought of...

Thank you in advance......  :) :) :) :)
Me (Brit) Applied for Fiance Visa from UK Sept 1997
Received Fiance Visa Aug 1998
Married my US Husband Nov 1998 and Living in NJ
Sent Online App Jun 27 2015
Biometrics Jun 30 2015
Sent VFS Priority Jul 1 2015
Sheffield Received Package Jul 3 2015
Received Email Jul 6 2015
Received Decision Made Email Jul 9th 2015
Visa Arrived Jul 10th 2015
Now Lots to do!!
Arrived in UK August 25th,2015
Husband now Permanent Resident(ILR) 2021

• Liked: 537
Re: Just arrived in UK !!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:55:23 AM »
Hello,
We are here in the UK.  We received so much wonderful help and advice through the crazy visa process.  I thought this would be a good place to ask "What do we do now?"  lol
My husband is the American.  He has applied for his Provisional Driver's licence today.  I know he can drive for a year on his US one but he is interested in a job that requires a UK licence.
A few questions:
How does he go about getting a National Insurance number?
I was advised to get him a Notice of Correction to prove address in UK?

Any suggestions on how to build credit?
Advice on where we can get credit cards?
Open bank accounts?

I am British but have lived out of the UK for 17 years so I am starting from scratch too.  I have an online British savings account so I am going to see if I can turn it into a current account. Maybe I can add my husband to it?

Is there anything I missed?  All is quite unfamiliar to me too so there is probably something I have not thought of...

Thank you in advance......  :) :) :) :)

Hiya!
Visit this page, it tells him what he needs to do to get his NINo.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Basically, he just calls this number 0345 600 0643, and they'll send him some paperwork. It's really easy.

I've not heard of a Notice of Correction... and I joined my husband here in February 2014.

There isn't really too much he can do to build credit it at this point. He can apply for a starter credit card (CapitalOne has one that I know of, it's at 34%), but he may not be eligible for it quite yet. Putting him as the name on a utility is a good way to start building a small amount of credit, not to mention it's a good way get the required pieces of mail for your next visa.

My husband added me to his current account at NatWest and after that I could have opened my own account, but it's easier to have the joint one. 

That's all I can helpful about. I hope everything is going smoothly for you!

Cheers,

Andria
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
If you are moving from US you may want to try using HSBC? We did and were able to set up UK account then transfer money into UK account...also able to get credit card / debit card with UK side..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
Two things to establish address:

Register with GP
Library card
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 08:18:48 PM »
Two things to establish address:

Register with GP
Library card

Also register to vote.  We did it online as soon as we arrived in May.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links