Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Using the NHS in a post-levy Britain  (Read 3201 times)

• Liked: 85
Re: Using the NHS in a post-levy Britain
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
An update, in case anyone with a pre-April 2015 visa is wondering:

I was able to get my routine cervical exam at the local, not-my-GP service just by providing my reference letter. I was armed and ready with passport (containing visa) and a printout saying that the IHS surcharge was for visas after a certain date, but didn't end up needing them. That doesn't mean that other hospitals/clinics/GP surgeries won't be confused, but this lot either didn't know or didn't care, which suited me just fine!

• Liked: 73
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »
My wife just arrived back from Addenbrookes after a routine scan.   She took her US passport with the visa in it and explained that we had paid the health surcharge in order to obtain the visa.

Addenbrookes is now requesting that I send them a copy of my payslip.    I have no idea why they need this but I will send them a copy and see what happens.

I have no idea why prior poster was asked if they had been resident for a year.   I'm not aware of any NHS services that are withheld for the first year of residency.

I had seen ( https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/healthcare/help-with-health-costs/nhs-charges-for-people-from-abroad/#h-how-hospitals-decide-who-should-pay ) that, if you are admitted to, or seen at, a hospital during the first year of returning as a resident to the UK, you may be charged. I think the year thing is to make sure you have actually come back to live and not just visiting. When I went for that appointment I went armed with utility bills etc but was not asked to show anything.
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 07:41:35 PM »
Yes, we're concerned for our son, who may decide to re-immigrate back to the UK (where he was born).  He has an NHS number and is probably still registered with our old GPs -- but no NI, having never worked in the UK.  He has a bank account here and would live with us initially.  I imagine he'd have to pay for that first year with NHS :-(
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 10:41:03 PM »
He probably would  not have to pay even if he had to be seen in a hospital, once he can show he has returned to live in the UK and is not just visiting. That really is the criteria. Most doctors and hospitals do not have the time to question new or returning patients.
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 26
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 05:07:04 AM »
I was told that returning citizens who come back to settle are granted full NHS access immediately.

this was via email from NHS support site: As a UK citizen returning to settle in the UK you would automatically be entitled to full NHS services with immediate effect. 

More information here

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-to-improve-overseas-visitors-contributions-to-nhs-care

LTE received: 21 October 2016
Arrived in U.K.: 25 October 2016
FLR(m) extension: 1 June 2019
ILR 2022

• Liked: 6
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »
Thanks for the links Michali.   Since we've moved our primary home to the UK (and can prove with our council tax bill) and we have the receipt for the health surcharge it doesn't seem that Addenbrookes has a leg to stand on.   It is worrying that the people who work in the billing department of a major hospital don't seem to be familiar with the legal requirements for free NHS care.   I have been asked to provide a copy of my payslip, but I can't see any reason for this.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »
It is weird that they have asked for your payslip. The only thing I can think of is that they see that as proof you and your wife are living here rather than visiting? Especially weird when you paid the IHS surcharge. You may have to print out some info to show them! The following is from the link I posted in my previous post.

You can receive free NHS hospital treatment if you:-

have paid the immigration health surcharge, or are exempt from paying the charge. To find out more about who has to pay the surcharge, go to www.gov.uk

Sponsored Links