Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Comedy-Help!  (Read 2134 times)

• Liked: 13
British Comedy-Help!
« on: September 07, 2015, 02:48:53 PM »
So after almost two years being here, I still haven't gotten to grips to British humor (or rather humour) and I'm actually worried about this a lot because it really disappoints my husband that I don't share this with him, and I'd feel the same if I were him.

He likes mostly the older stuff, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, BlackAdder, Only Fools and Horses, Alan Partridge. And as for newer stuff, Inbetweeners, Four Lions, Brass Eye. And I've tried but I really just can't get into it at all. I know where the jokes are supposed to be, it's just that I don't find it funny.

I've even examined the makeup of British humour so I can see the context...still nothing. At best, I find these shows mildly amusing and at worst, sometimes mean-spirited. I love dark humour but I only think it's really effective when it's turned on it's head, not done in cheap way. For instance, we watched a Harry Enfield special when his character calls his wife a stupid cow (or something along those lines) With things like this, I especially find it hard to find funny.

There are two shows I've found that I think are really good, 2012 (and W1A) and Goodness Gracious Me.

My husband does like lots of American TV that I like, like 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development, Conan and this is mostly what we watch. But i feel bad that I can't enjoy his favorite shows and we end up watching only what I like.

Anyone else found this? Did you "get" british humour the more you lived here?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:32:34 PM by Lalala75 »

Sponsored Links