Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cool Whip..  (Read 5147 times)

• Liked: 1260
Cool Whip..
« on: September 27, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »
I don't think I've seen this thread yet [at least not after 2009 and things do change] or anything on here but do you know either

A. where I can get cool whip here in the UK?
or B. what can I use to replace it.

I want to make a chocolate trifle like I would in the US for holidays, but not sure what to use instead of Cool Whip. I've tried a few things here, like Dream Whip but it's not the same consistency.

Should I just give up the dream? LOL
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Re: Cool Whip..
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »
Hiya I've personally forgotten what cool whip tastes like as its been so long. I've heard you can try whipped cream add sugar and vanilla to make a similar taste. Good luck !
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 09:14:56 PM »
If you need something that will keep it's texture try making stabilized whipped cream. It does use gelatin so it's not vegan, but it seriously stays fluffy for DAYS!

http://www.food.com/recipe/wilton-stabilized-whipped-cream-79506

The recipe above is the one I use for making whipped cream frosting for cakes. It's amazing and I absolutely love it. I've even made chocolate whipped cream icing. I haven't made it here in the UK as of yet because I have a VERY tiny kitchen right now.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
Why would you want Cool Whip if you can have whipped cream?  Am I missing something?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »
Hiya I've personally forgotten what cool whip tastes like as its been so long. I've heard you can try whipped cream add sugar and vanilla to make a similar taste. Good luck !

Thanks for the tip!! I forget what it tastes like too, if I'm honest but it's more about the texture than the taste when making trifle in my opinion :)

If you need something that will keep it's texture try making stabilized whipped cream. It does use gelatin so it's not vegan, but it seriously stays fluffy for DAYS!

http://www.food.com/recipe/wilton-stabilized-whipped-cream-79506

The recipe above is the one I use for making whipped cream frosting for cakes. It's amazing and I absolutely love it. I've even made chocolate whipped cream icing. I haven't made it here in the UK as of yet because I have a VERY tiny kitchen right now.

Cheers for this! I will need to try it [not a massive fan of gelatin but not for vegan reasons, so I will definitely be trying it out at least once!]

Why would you want Cool Whip if you can have whipped cream?  Am I missing something?

Simple answer is because, when layering, whipped cream won't hold it's form. It will blend in with the pudding and form more of a fluffier mouse type situation. Like Chocolate pudding but thicker. I'm sure it tastes great but you need the firmness cool whip has to be able to layer.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 2
  • Location: North Carolina on my way to Chipping Norton 3/16!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:41:49 PM »
I haven't made it here in the UK as of yet because I have a VERY tiny kitchen right now.

I seriously want to see your kitchen! I'm intrigued!! I've followed several posts where you write about your tiny spaces :)  I love tiny spaces, though I know it is different seeing it and actually having to live in it. Bravo to you lady ;)
I am a North Carolina girl born and raised, yes I love sweet iced tea, Texas Pete and biscuits and gravy....but England is where my soul feels at peace and I can't wait to get there.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 11:01:15 PM »
I seriously want to see your kitchen! I'm intrigued!! I've followed several posts where you write about your tiny spaces :)  I love tiny spaces, though I know it is different seeing it and actually having to live in it. Bravo to you lady ;)

No one has comprehended quite how small it is until they are actually in our house and experience it.  We always planned to move ASAP after I got my job, but things happened and we stayed much longer than originally planned. 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-51496054.html
The above link is the exact same layout as our tiny house. It's basically a studio apartment split onto two levels.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »
That is a cute place! I had a kitchen just like that in the first house I moved into in Reading. It had 550 sq ft. We live in a 2500 sq ft house in Houston now (it's small for my suburb!) and soon we will be empty-nesters and "should" buy smaller but my English husband is drawn to this 3000 sq ft house that's for sale in our neighborhood. He looked at me like I had two heads when I said that I wanted to move back to England in a few years and go back to the 550 sq ft.

As for the Cool Whip, I haven't eaten the stuff since I was 8 (oh my God, 37 years ago) but whipping double cream by itself does the trick. I'm also a big lover of whipping marscapone and it really is indulgent but it keeps its shape.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
I kind of like that place as well. We went from 1800+ and a double garage plus a 1000sf workshop near Spokane to 910sf including the garage here....works for the two of us. My wife has hinted a time or two about the possibility of her daughter moving in to save money to help buy her first house......uh uh. If it's not an emergency that's not going to happen. It was ok when we had a bigger house.

I have never been a Cool Whip consumer.......but I wouldn't mind some Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise.
Fred

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »
As for the Cool Whip, I haven't eaten the stuff since I was 8 (oh my God, 37 years ago) but whipping double cream by itself does the trick. I'm also a big lover of whipping marscapone and it really is indulgent but it keeps its shape.

That Marscapone idea actually maaaayyyyy be genius! That mixed with chocolate pudding layers may actually be a whole new type of amazing trifle!

Hmmmmm.....  ;D
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 12:24:40 PM »
Oooooh man now I really want some Cool Whip lol

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am a Yankee in Italy. I have read a few other posts regarding the Cool Whip issue, and was wondering if anyone has tried using the gelatin with Dream Whip or homemade whipped, and if so what was the result?
Even in NY, I rarely used Cool Whip. I happen to like real Whipped Cream much more, and finally after a year or trying this and that I have my whipped cream down. I use the Cool Whip to mix with store bought frosting as filler and frosting for kids cakes. It stretches out the frosting and gives it a consistency that regular whipped will not. This is the only recipe I use Cool Whip for ( although I have dipped strawberries a few times ). Lots of info I know, but it seems like everyone wants to know why Cool Whip and not regular Whipped Cream. Thanks in Advance

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:10 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I am a Yankee in Italy. I have read a few other posts regarding the Cool Whip issue, and was wondering if anyone has tried using the gelatin with Dream Whip or homemade whipped, and if so what was the result?
Even in NY, I rarely used Cool Whip. I happen to like real Whipped Cream much more, and finally after a year or trying this and that I have my whipped cream down. I use the Cool Whip to mix with store bought frosting as filler and frosting for kids cakes. It stretches out the frosting and gives it a consistency that regular whipped will not. This is the only recipe I use Cool Whip for ( although I have dipped strawberries a few times ). Lots of info I know, but it seems like everyone wants to know why Cool Whip and not regular Whipped Cream. Thanks in Advance

Hey Mela,

I prefer whipped cream myself and I'm really not a fan of cool whip usually. I make a stabilized whipped cream icing using gelatin for frosting cakes and it holds up for days, at least until the cake is gone and the shelf life of whipped cream.

This is the one I use: http://www.food.com/recipe/wilton-stabilized-whipped-cream-79506

It's easy but there is a bit of a learning curve to adding the gelatin at the right temp and having the partially whipped cream at the right consistency to finish it up.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
Yeah, why use fake stuff when you can have real whipped cream?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab