Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Refused at Gatwick in March, reentering via bus 6 months later  (Read 1864 times)

• Liked: 0
Refused at Gatwick in March, reentering via bus 6 months later
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
Hi everyone,
Just a general question for advice.

So last year in November I went to the UK, my friend said I didn't need an address to come in... he was wrong. Some how the customs officer at Gatwick allowed me in. I met my partner right after Christmas and it was magic! Fast forwarding to March (my birthday) we fly to Amsterdam and this is where I *bleep*ed up (no return ticket, I never had a problem out of 34 visas entries and exits with one, it was 3 weeks nearing the 6 months AND right BEFORE the primary elections, they believed I wasn't leaving). They pulled me in the back room and forced us apart, of course I didn't remain calm and I found it rather wrong I had to do my interview under the influence (really dumb don't grill me), I clearly don't remember what happened, next thing I know I was moved to a detention center next to heathrow & left on my own terms. It's been six months since i've been refused entry, I am coming in on month 7. I have a ticket that is leaving for London in a few days and I have a return this time. Now here is where my questions lie

-I have a return ticket back to the netherlands
-I have about 450 GBP for one week
-My friend's address
-A letter from the family I am au pairing for (potentially- provisional job & support of funds if I am robbed or fall short of what I have)
-One of my old housemates threw away my refusal papers thinking it was trash
-I'm clearly not drinking or smoking before I board & I haven't for 3 days
-Already contacted citizens advice as well as an immigration attorney in the UK both gave me the clear of getting in.

But I'm curious if I will be turned away again or if they take my passport for TA.
has anyone had trouble with this before entering the UK? I was an idiot last time
& i have an extreme fear of flying there for I hate being sober when I fly. But as you all know international relationships are a pain in the ass. But the customs agents didn't advice me to get an entry clearance, they said i didn't need one. as well as citizens advice and the immigration attorney, though one did tell my boyfriend I needed one to be safe. But I can't fly home to apply as I left my home in the states and IND told me I need to be out of the schengen area but can remain in the EU... of course staying at my boyfriend's is cheaper then a flight home to america, then back, plus rent and finding a job. Can anyone advise me what to say? what to have? etc. I never post on forums but I see this one is a wonderful one and has great help.

of course i learned my lesson last time. But does anyone have experience entering via bus to the country? Gatwick is the worst airport ever and I refuse to fly in there again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:48:27 AM by bad_advice »

• Liked: 10
Re: Refused at Gatwick in March, reentering via bus 6 months later
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:37:26 AM »
If you've been previously refused entry to the UK, you will need to apply for a visitors visa in advance every time you want to visit the UK in the future.

See question 1.

http://london.usembassy.gov/transcript001.html

I really don't recommend coming to the UK in few days. You might get extraordinarily lucky. But the reality (like greater than 95%) is that you're going to be refused again.

And I hate to say it, but the fact that you don't have a job or a home in the US AND you have a partner in the UK also leads to the very high possibility of a bounce. :-(

But whatever you do, don't ever portray your boyfriend as just a friend to UK Immigration when questioned about it. Doing so constitutes deception and will lead to even more complications.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:42:50 AM by london_lad »

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
i have a job in the NL but I'm waiting my visa approval...

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:47:43 AM »
If you've been previously refused entry to the UK, you will need to apply for a visitors visa in advance every time you want to visit the UK in the future.

See question 1.

http://london.usembassy.gov/transcript001.html

I really don't recommend coming to the UK in few days. You might get extraordinarily lucky. But the reality (like greater than 95%) is that you're going to be refused again.

And I hate to say it, but the fact that you don't have a job or a home in the US AND you have a partner in the UK also leads to the very high possibility of a bounce. :-(

But whatever you do, don't ever portray your boyfriend as just a friend to UK Immigration when questioned about it. Doing so constitutes deception and will lead to even more complications.

citizens advice and the immigration attorney i have the contact of said i wouldn't need one if i have short stay. the one week ticket. so if i do have problems at the boarder do you advise i call my immigration attorney that said i don't need a visitor visa?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:01:14 PM »
You need a visitor visa.  Give it a go (sounds like your mind is made up).  I'll be shocked if you get in.  Is the attorney going to come represent you at the airport?

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/usa/tourism

They aren't going to take your passport from you, they will just return you to wherever you are coming from (same as last time).

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 12:07:56 PM »
Just as an aside....if you can, see your doctor and get a few anxiety pills for flights.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 10
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
citizens advice and the immigration attorney i have the contact of said i wouldn't need one if i have short stay. the one week ticket. so if i do have problems at the boarder do you advise i call my immigration attorney that said i don't need a visitor visa?

It's true that most US citizens don't need a visitors visa for a short visit to the UK. But once you get a refusal, you're playing with a whole different rule book.

The citizens advice people aren't the best source for immigration advice, especially when things start to get complicated.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
Should i have both numbers i called handy just in case?
i asked before i booked the ticket... even my friends who deal
with artist visas around the world said i should be fine.

is the best thing to do plead and cry at the boarder? :/
i can cry on que ;)

this is just horrible.
even if we were to marry, would i still have the same issue?

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »
You can marry, but you would need to apply for a spouse visa and meet the requirements.  Does your boyfriend meet the requirements to sponsor you?  Basics are an annual salary of £18,600 a year and a place for you to live.

It would have been best to apply for a visitor's visa in advance (as advised on the .gov.uk website).  Then you know before you travel if you'll be allowed in or not.  They should have advised you to apply for a visitor's visa before attempting to travel to the UK again when they refused your entry before.

It will literally be 100% up to the Immigration Officer you receive on the day at the border in the UK... same as your last visit.  Unfortunately none of us can tell you for sure if you will be allowed in or not.  It's a gamble and not likely to end in your favour...   :-\\\\

You can have the immigration attorneys numbers available to call, of course.  But it's not up to them if you are allowed in, it's up to the Immigration Officer.  They hold all the cards.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
But I can't fly home to apply as I left my home in the states and IND told me I need to be out of the schengen area but can remain in the EU... of course staying at my boyfriend's is cheaper then a flight home to america, then back, plus rent and finding a job.

i have a job in the NL but I'm waiting my visa approval...

IF you are let in for one week and it is a big IF, what will you do if your visa doesn’t come through in that time? From what you said it sounds like you have had your full time allowed in Schengen countries.

maximum stay in the Schengen countries is 90 days per 180 days.
http://www.rsonac.org/schengen-visa/1.-short-stay-schengen-visa

citizens advice and the immigration attorney i have the contact of said i wouldn't need one if i have short stay. the one week ticket.

Your government's site page for
"Denied Entry into the United Kingdom"

tells you

"If you have questions about future travel to the U.K., or other general questions, you should contact your nearest U.K. Consulate."

http://london.usembassy.gov/olympics/olympics2012/denied-entry-into-the-united-kingdom.html

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:29:30 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
I have a week left. but the family i am working for is dealing with the IND during that time. when i get back then i have the answer, if my visa does go through then i would have to wait in ireland... as it's too difficult for me go back to america for both of us (emotionally) we fought so hard for me to be here :/

if not unfortunately return stateside.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »
You can marry, but you would need to apply for a spouse visa and meet the requirements.  Does your boyfriend meet the requirements to sponsor you?  Basics are an annual salary of £18,600 a year and a place for you to live.

It would have been best to apply for a visitor's visa in advance (as advised on the .gov.uk website).  Then you know before you travel if you'll be allowed in or not.  They should have advised you to apply for a visitor's visa before attempting to travel to the UK again when they refused your entry before.

It will literally be 100% up to the Immigration Officer you receive on the day at the border in the UK... same as your last visit.  Unfortunately none of us can tell you for sure if you will be allowed in or not.  It's a gamble and not likely to end in your favour...   :-\\\\

You can have the immigration attorneys numbers available to call, of course.  But it's not up to them if you are allowed in, it's up to the Immigration Officer.  They hold all the cards.

yes he exceeds the requirements.
but he has tight morals and he wants me to do everything trying to do au pair work to be in europe... this whole experience with being bounced has really disrupted our lives.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
Whenever I mention marriage or him moving to US he kicks a mad fuss up

That's bad advice

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 04:13:53 PM »
If the stress and anxiety of living apart is making you ill and he isn't willing to close the gap when you are fortunate enough for circumstances to allow (many people would do anything to have the ability to sponsor their spouse), why are you putting yourself through this?

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
If the stress and anxiety of living apart is making you ill and he isn't willing to close the gap when you are fortunate enough for circumstances to allow (many people would do anything to have the ability to sponsor their spouse), why are you putting yourself through this?

that's a good question! i've been asking myself lately, but in reality we've only been together about a year. and to him "that's crazy" -__-

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab