Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Civil Judgements and FLR(M)  (Read 231 times)

• Liked: 0
Civil Judgements and FLR(M)
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
So, I got my fiance visa, packed up everything, got over here to the UK and my fiance and I are starting our life together. I've started looking at the FLR(M) application now so everything is in order to submit as soon as we're married.

The FLR(M) asks about civil judgements, which the fiance visa did not. Now I'm freaking out as I have two civil judgements in the US for unpaid state taxes - the judgements are jointly against myself and my ex - they are dated in 2012 and 2014, so are within the timeframe that will have to be declared. The total is about $3,000 US now with the penalties that have been added. They were my ex's responsibility so I haven't made any effort to get them taken care of, but as they're in joint names legally we're both responsible.

Has anyone had experience applying with civil judgements? Does anyone know if this will be an automatic refusal? I'm also concerned about whether there will be trouble since I didn't declare them on the fiance visa application, but as it was not asked about it did not occur to me to do so.

This has got me really stressed now, I thought we were through the hardest part and if we get refused at this stage its going to be very difficult to pick up the pieces. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Civil Judgements and FLR(M)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
I'm not an attorney, but I do not believe a civil judgement will affect you being granted FLR(M).

However, I do think it will affect when you will qualify for citizenship.  Under the new "good character" requirement, you will likely need to spend 10 years in the UK before you will qualify for citizenship.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab