Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The 2015 Thanksgiving meal menu thread  (Read 1398 times)

• Liked: 584
The 2015 Thanksgiving meal menu thread
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »
Wot?! It's the 14th of November and no one has started a Thanksgiving dinner thread yet?!  :o ;)

I don't do a Thanksgiving meal myself, but always like to see what other people are planning to eat. 

Anyone got plans?

• Liked: 18
Re: The 2015 Thanksgiving meal menu thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 05:33:18 PM »
My DH is not a fan of turkey, and I'm not all that gung ho about making a traditional Thanksgiving meal (let alone try to figure what to have instead of turkey).  But I've been thinking about doing something special to mark the day...  so far I've only come up with trifle (from Birds trifle mix - I absolutely love trifle made from that little box!) with dried cranberries on top.  Sort of an homage to our combined roots...   ;D
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »
We are getting together with my family a few days before, since we will be in the UK on Thanksgiving this year. Our Thanksgiving Day menu this year will be served by our fave Indian place in Blackburn.

As much as I love turkey, I will miss the lots and lots of turkey leftovers.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 07:54:40 PM »
I getting the urge to create something sweet and pumpkiny. Not pumpkin pie. Maybe a cake or cupcakes. Was just researching recipes on the Internet and getting real cravings for pumpkiny things. Don't think we wil have a turkey at thanksgiving this year so might just celebrate with pumpkin !!!
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »
Tomorrow I'm hosting my first Thanksgiving meetup for other Americans in the Wokingham/Reading area.  It's our first meetup.  I offered to do it at my house thinking it'd be small.  Well, final count is 16 adults and 11 kids!  It will be chaos but should be fun.  We need lots of people to volunteer to eat off their laps.  :) 

I have two 4.4 kilo turkey crowns from Costco.  Everyone else is bringing sides and desserts.  I'm hopeful we have enough food!  We should have plenty of turkey!   ;)

Next year, I'm booking a hall.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
I getting the urge to create something sweet and pumpkiny. Not pumpkin pie. Maybe a cake or cupcakes. Was just researching recipes on the Internet and getting real cravings for pumpkiny things.

Me too!  I bought all the ingredients to make pumpkin muffins, but now can't find the energy to actually do them!  ::)

• Liked: 9
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
I have the feeling that once Thursday gets here, although I am perfectly fine with having Indian food for Thanksgiving, I am going to pout just a little (or a lot) over not having pumpkin or pecan pie.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »
Hello folks,

We are naturalized Americans returned to the UK for a whole host of reasons (mainly family) after 10 years in Reno, Nevada. Since we moved back last year we really miss the Thanksgiving celebration.

I'm planning to cook a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings on the Friday evening to accommodate guests who have to work on Thursday. Can't move the Holiday, but we can move the feast!

We're planning to host Thanksgiving for our family of 6, an American friend from school and our yurt guests. We opened a small luxury yurt glamping site on the Welsh borders in Shropshire in June this year.

If you're interested in booking a yurt for yourself, family or friends, please let me know. We have one 6-man yurt and our Big Yellow Tent (sleeps 2) remaining. Our first season has gone very well and we have over 50 5-star reviews. We couldn't be more thrilled. Our Thanksgiving dinner and celebration this year is going to be fabulous. http://barnutopia.com/thanksgiving-in-a-yurt-britain-2015/ [nofollow]

Thank you,

Katrina
Owner, Barnutopia, www.barnutopia.com [nofollow]
mrsb@barnutopia.com
(01691) 791 624

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »
Looks like nobody was really in the Thanksgiving cooking spirit this year!

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »
We were. In fact, a member of this forum and his family drove up from London and stayed in one of our yurts. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner twice for 2 parties of guests. Here we are eating turkey dinner #2:

[nofollow]

:-)

Katrina

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
Well, I had to work all day, so the hubby and I had a turkey joint, mashed potatoes, yorkshire puds and roasted brussels sprouts. It was lovely and nothing complicated. I even got to chat with my family back in the states for 2 hours on Skype. It was a good night.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 08:20:51 PM »
Oooh, yum, Yorkshire puddings are good with anything. And I personally love Brussels sprouts but not a many do. Skype is wonderful. We postponed our TG dinner because most folks work on Thursday in the UK. We had our dinners on Friday night and Saturday night. Couldn't move the holiday but we could move the dinner.:-) We had a deli platter to start then turkey crown with roast potatoes and glazed sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, carrots, gravy and cranberry sauce followed by pumpkin pie and banana cream pie. Everything worked, phew.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 08:46:55 PM »
I hosted a big thanksgiving with my husband and 6 of our close friends. I cooked a turkey, Mac and cheese, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin cheesecake. It was delicious and everyone left uncomfortably full. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »
I had turkey schnitzel in Vienna on Thanksgiving day. That was fun  ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Re: 2016 Thanksgiving meal menu
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 05:44:01 PM »
Anyone doing a special Thanksgiving Day meal?
I always like to see what everyone's going to eat!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:58:56 PM by Albatross »

Sponsored Links