Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling for Christmas without UK residence card (EEA Family Member)  (Read 406 times)

• Liked: 8
We moved back to the UK after 3 and a half years away. My wife is Norwegian and we returned earlier this year on my still valid UK Residence Card. Since I was gone from the UK for more than a year, I don't qualify for permanent residence, so my 5 years starts over. Applied for a 2nd residence card a couple months ago, as my 1st one has finally expired.

After waiting 8 weeks and calling them many times with no answers (see my other post), my application was returned to me stating that I had forgotten to sign the payment page. (Doh!).

We are going to Norway for Christmas. Since a UK residence card isn't obligatory anyway, what kind of questioning will I face on our return home after Christmas?

Will the border guards need to see proof of our employment, letting agreement, bank accounts etc? Basically, proof of our life here in the UK (spouse exercising EEA rights)? Will it be easier as I will be traveling with my wife? If I was traveling along would sort of question would I expect?

I'm just wondering if it would be worth to not even getting another UK card, and just have all the appropriate paperwork with me if I have to travel.

As always, I appreciate the advice.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:33:08 PM by Californiaguy »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Traveling for Christmas without UK residence card (EEA Family Member)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
Carry everything.

But still get the card.  The EEA route is tightening up so much and they are trying to make it harder for EEA path to naturalise.  Having the card will help you in many many ways!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 10:59:17 PM »
Yes, this country is going absolutely bonkers over immigration. I probably will get the card when we return from Christmas, but for now, they are bound by EU law no matter what sort of ruckus certain politicians try to make for certain elements of the domestic audience.

I am just amazed at the lack of organisation of UKVI. Nothing is computerised, with literally stacks and stacks of applications, no ability for any coherent answer when asked a relatively simple question and needing to have mine and my spouse's passports for up to 6 months when a computerised system would allow reduce their stress load tremendously and allow them to approve the applications in a matter of days/weeks as well as give out specific references numbers for people rather than needing 3 business days to call someone back because they have no idea where a person's applications is!

So, the temptation is not to deal with the hassle, as UK border guards have been nothing but nice and polite to me every time I go through the airport. Maybe it would be easier just to have a bunch of paperwork with me every time I have to travel. But yeah, I'll probably suck it up again and get the 2nd card. Sigh... :-/

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 02:55:19 AM »
Without a valid EEA family permit nor EEA residence card, entry is subject to 11(4).
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 01:53:40 PM »
Without a valid EEA family permit nor EEA residence card, entry is subject to 11(4).

Thanks for the handy bit of information. Is there a Gov.uk page that details the same information? I'm afraid that if faced with Border Force agent ignorant of the rules, she/he won't accept anything except official UK info and might just say that this "3rd party site has no effect".

Sponsored Links