Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The shopping carts are driving me nuts....  (Read 2772 times)

• Liked: 149
The shopping carts are driving me nuts....
« on: December 28, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »
I'm used to them after all these years......but I don't like them.  >:(

It's the wheels that turn anywhere.....they are ok on the smaller carts, but the bigger ones become interesting at times. If you have one of the smaller carts and you don't put much in it isn't an issue. Had a run to Asda today and had a big cart with a big bag of dog food  etc in....not the heaviest of loads....but sometimes there are a couple of cases of Diet Coke or beer added.....good luck changing direction. Then out to the parking lot which is somewhat level.....I quite often just go to the front and pull the cart instead of pushing. Granted.....with a heavy load back in the US it was always a bit of a job to turn the front of it. I always thought it would be easier to have a cart that had the front wheels locked and the back wheels rotating....as they would with a big cart at a place like Home Depot. Good luck at Morrison's here (which I prefer to Asda....less hectic ). The parking lot is somewhat sloped there and you have to put your foot or hip against the cart to keep it from rolling into the car.....or rolling across the lot into someone else's car (which I have seen happen).

Just a bit of a joke on this of course.....I don't think they are going to change 10 zillion shopping carts all because King Fred wants them to........although they should of course ;D ;D
Fred

• Liked: 533
Re: The shopping carts are driving me nuts....
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
I do the grocery shopping in my household and am fascinated by it.

I will say that I haven't come across as many wobbly tyres as in the US. Seems like I remember there always being one just going crazy. And fewer lock-ups too....where a wheel just stops tight.

But the independent four wheel system is different. I think they were designed....and this is my own theory.....so that you can insert yourself into a gap easier. Like with an American cart, you had to almost parallel park it into a gap. But here you can just go sideways into it. In theory.

But yes....you can go to make a corner....and I feel sometimes like an old Laurel and Hardy where they are driving a fire truck and there's another wheel back on the back end and Hardy is back there just fighting the heck out of it to keep from shooting out like a dog whose rear end is travelling faster than his front.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:01:20 PM by sonofasailor »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »
You are right.....a LOT less bad wheels here. Going to WalMart was about a 50-50 chance of getting a cart with a wheel that either 1. spun aimlessly  2. Wouldn't spin at all  3.Had a flat spot so that you clunked along. Those are rare here.
Fred

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
So, you're complaining becaaaaause...??  ;)

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »
I felt like it. I like a good whine.....
Fred

• Liked: 85
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 05:46:12 PM »
I felt like it. I like a good whine.....

A good moan is the social currency of Britain. Go down the pub, start with having a go at trolley wheels and, four pints later, you'll have set the world to rights.

• Liked: 15
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »
I just have my shopping delivered

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 05:23:02 AM »
Costco is a saviour.  They brought American carts with them.  Haha

Sent via iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 722
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 07:19:08 AM »
What is the difference between a shopping cart trolley and a politician?

Just like a shopping cart trolley politicians take off in directions you don't want them to, but you can get a lot more food and drink into a politician.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »
1. spun aimlessly   3.Had a flat spot so that you clunked along.

I forgot about these two.

The flat wheel.....how did that come about? They seem to be made of tungsten. What force was applied to flatten out a side of one of those things?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »
By-the-way, this thread seems like a Seinfeld plot:

George: I was in Kroger's....and wouldn't you know it, I got a wobbly tire!

Jerry: What is up with the wobbly tire?

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
I forgot about these two.

The flat wheel.....how did that come about? They seem to be made of tungsten. What force was applied to flatten out a side of one of those things?

By flat wheel, I mean the rubber on the wheel isn't perfectly round anymore. It happened to quite a few of them at WalMart. Only thing I can think of is something gets stuck on the wheel and locks it up and people just keep pushing......kind of like what used to happen when I was a kid a we tried for the longest skid marks on our bikes. Left a flattish spot on the tire. In the case of the trolley it still rolls.....but goes thunk thunk thunk as you walk along.

Fred

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »
I have a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with the carts here.  The sideways roll feature is great when you are in the aisles and need to move out of the way.  But trying to get that thing across the parking lot in a straight line is IMPOSSIBLE.  I seem to move at some weird diagonal eventually reaching my car. 

But I do LOVE that people do not leave the carts ALL OVER the parking lot here and actually return them to the corral!

• Liked: 18
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
Hmmm, that gives me a failing grade in observation skills.  I've been here over a year now, and had no idea the shopping carts would roll sideways....  ???

... but I have noticed they don't always roll in the direction I'd intended.  ;)
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
Hmmm, that gives me a failing grade in observation skills.  I've been here over a year now, and had no idea the shopping carts would roll sideways....  ???

I went a year before I would even use a cart because I thought the pound coin was a charge for using the cart. I just wasn't going to pay someone a pound to then shop with them.

So finally one day I decided to pay the pound. And when I took the cart back and inserted the little chain thing and - surprise! - my pound coin popped out I just stood there for a second like an idiot.

Sponsored Links