Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So...  (Read 8421 times)

• Liked: 18
Re: So...
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 04:53:06 PM »
Like others here, I'd never heard the term vocal fry, but I've definitely heard it used many times.  I agree it sounds dismissive, and reminds me of the classic teenage eye roll and shrug combo.  An, "I'm just too cool to give a darn about anything", attitude right out of adolescence.  It makes the speaker sound immature to me.

This is a fascinating discussion!  I've got a theory about the various words and phrases that people find annoying.  If they are new to us we notice them, and tend to take them more literally - they start to become annoying, but if we use the same type of nonsensical filler (and I believe most of us do to varying degrees), we don't truly hear it, it's background noise.  What we don't hear can't annoy us.....

.... Hmmmmm, that theory made sense in my head anyway, but I may need to work on it a bit more.  ;)
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »
Larrabee... I hear people beginning sentences with  'so...' ALL the time now, and I hate it!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Liked: 248
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »
I didn't know what vocal fry was until this forum pointed me to a link.  I've always hated it but actually thought it was just me being over sensitive.

So - I don't mind too much.

Like - I detest with a vengeance.

Going up at the end of the sentence (unless you are Australian) leaves me wondering why.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
Larrabee... I hear people beginning sentences with  'so...' ALL the time now, and I hate it!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Sorry!  ;D

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 08:27:52 AM »
Pretty sure this vocal fry thing started with young woman trying to emulate a Californian "celebrity" who did it a lot. It got rolling as a way to sound...smarter?

I blame Liz Warren for the "So..." thing, she always started a sentence with it when she was back peddling a statement....but it sounds condescending, as it if she is trying to dumb down something for you 

and uptalking... ending a sentence in a higher tone than the beginning, equally annoying!

Sponsored Links