Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: You alright?  (Read 1973 times)

• Liked: 2
You alright?
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »
I just can't get used to this even though it's a nice enough greeting.  I always think I must look tired or sick or angry or sad or have something on my face or fire shooting from my ears.  I've gotten better at responding less awkwardly, but definitely prefer "How are you".  My M-I-L always asks me this and it seemed deeper than the casual greeting so I never thought about it until I moved here.  I wonder what will happen on the day I do have fire shooting from my ears.  😬😁

• Liked: 47
Re: You alright?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
It throws me off every time too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 85
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »
'All right?' is the equivalent of 'Sup?'

'Sup? ---> Not much, you? ---> Yeah, nothin'.

All right? ---> Not bad, you? ---> Yeah, all right.

If someone says 'not so bad', you know they're having an absolute cracker of a day.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:05:04 AM »

'All right?' is the equivalent of 'Sup?'

'Sup? ---> Not much, you? ---> Yeah, nothin'.

All right? ---> Not bad, you? ---> Yeah, all right.

If someone says 'not so bad', you know they're having an absolute cracker of a day.

In my head I know this, but I can never seem to react appropriately in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:17:04 AM »
Aren't you supposed to reply to 'Sup?' with 'Word'?

Has that changed?

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Midstream Musings
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
In 2010, upon my arrival to the UK, I blogged about this very phenomena (and a few others that made me feel a little "lost"). An excerpt:

"Another thing I’ve noticed is that we are often asked the question ‘are you alright’?  It seems that this has two potential meanings in the UK.   In the context of a shop or similar it may mean ‘can I help you’?  In passing, it can also mean ‘how are you’ or ‘hello’.  To the American ear, it typically means something more like ‘is something wrong … can I phone an ambulance for you or get you a glass of water or a chair’.  This may give me a complex at worst, or just take some getting used to."

Five plus years in, I hardly notice anymore ...  ;)
Life in the UK; from marriage and the big move in 2010 to becoming a citizen in 2014.

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not"

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Liked: 68
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 03:30:09 PM »
I had a rant about this once in work (in the UK) because people kept asking "You alright?". From then on out people just told me "Good morning" haha but I didn't understand the that it didn't necessarily mean that I looked awful!

• Liked: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
I recently started driving over here. We live on a narrow lane that's horrendous for parking, mainly during evenings and weekends. I'm still getting used to the small spaces and if it's crowded it takes me a couple minutes to get my parking just right. Last week I was struggling a little to park and one of the neighbors noticed. He approached me and said "you alright there?". I mumbled something about getting used to the tight spaces... nice guy, a bit embarrassing for me though  :P
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 04:45:06 PM »
Last week I was struggling a little to park

You know I read this fascinating research study. It was about men and women parking....the spacial awareness thing....

It was at a car park here in the UK somewhere.....

Anyhow, with the help of lasers they kept tabs on parkers and found that it did indeed take females longer to park....and they adjusted more....back and forth and such.

But, the interesting thing is that in the end, the female parkers were centred better in the spot. So they determined that one possible explanation is that men just roar up into the damn spot....probably handcuffing the next car over and leaving their bumper over the pavement.....but with a certain misplaced belief in their talents.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 21
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »
That's true for me at least. Parking has never been my strongest point, even in the US. I'm more finicky and go back and forth until I'm straightened out. Meanwhile, my husband is like a parking Jedi and can get into the smallest spot with no problem. Perfect everytime and does none of the "faffing" that I do!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
Parking has never been my strongest point

Well having someone standing there observing makes it worse.

When docking a boat, there are always two or three old guys watching and giving advice....."Careful there, the current's running against you!"....Watch out! There's an old hang down there!".

If I'm on a dock and somebody is pulling in, I always busy myself with some little chore or something....tidying a loose rope or something....just to take the pressure off the skipper.....but close enough to catch a line if needed.

If somebody is parking a car, I turn away and look at my phone or something.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »
Long ago decided life would be much simpler without parallel parking.  Avoid it at all costs.  Also at the mall or supermarket always look for a drive-through space (aka Granny parking space) so you don't have to back out. 
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »
When I went out and met my brother-in-law's friends and bandmates they all asked if I was alright. I thought they were trying to tell me I looked sick or something! I was so worried and I had no words for them. Such an awkward intro, but my husband and I laugh about it now.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 05:16:09 PM »
Aren't you supposed to reply to 'Sup?' with 'Word'?

Has that changed?

Oh my...

• Liked: 5
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 07:07:43 AM »
I live in the midlands. Took forever to get used to people drawling out 'Y'ohl roight?' at me. I, too, thought I must look ill. Now I say it all the time.
Work permit (which I guess now would be called a Tier 2 Visa for Skilled Migrant Workers -- and might have been called that then, I don't remember) 2002. ILR 2004. UK citizenship 2007.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab