Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can you use US applicant's non-employment income when applying for a spouse visa  (Read 326 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate reading all the contributions to the list. I'm a UK citizen, my wife's American and we live in the US. We're hoping to apply for a visa for her so we can move back to the UK together. I have a job offer over there so that part is fine.

However, in satisfying the income requirements for the twelve months prior to moving to the UK, I know I can't use my wife's actual salary - but can we use her non-employment income to help reach the 18,600GBP limit? She's a PhD student, and receives an annual stipend of $20,000, I believe that money is eligible, but I wanted to check. I'm also a student, so I don't think I'll reach the 18,600GBP limit on my own.

Many thanks

• Liked: 2
I was told by a UK solicitor that my US non-employment income (from 'stock shares' ownership in a business) is eligible and based on the wording of the uk.gov website, it appears your wife's 'stipend' income would qualify, as well.

6.1.8. Income from a maintenance grant or stipend (not a loan) associated with undergraduate study or postgraduate study or research received by the applicant’s partner or the applicant can be counted towards the financial requirement. The person must be currently in receipt of the grant or stipend or will be within 3 months of the date of application, and the grant or stipend must be payable for a period of at least 12 months, or for at least one full academic year, from the date of application or from the date on which payment of the grant or stipend will commence. Where the grant or stipend is paid on a tax-free basis, see section 6.4. of this guidance for further information.

Thanks for your reply, that's what I thought too - just wanted to hear it from someone else!

• Liked: 2
I totally understand- it's a scary situation when you are putting out that kind of money and can't get it back if things don't work.

Best of Luck to you and you're wife!

thanks!

Sponsored Links