Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Constantly sick stomach two years after moving? Has anyone else had this?  (Read 2376 times)

• Liked: 13
So I've always had a sensitive stomach but i noticed when i moved here, it became so much worse. It seems like after everything I eat or even drink (mostly water) seems to really upset my stomach. I've even gone on an elimination diet and still no luck, literally everything upsets my stomach!

I wonder if this is adjusting to different chemicals, water, etc in a different country?

It's so unbearable and really beginning to affect my life, if anyone has any light to shed it would be much appreciated!

Has anyone else noticed this after they moved?

• Liked: 533
Re: Constantly sick stomach two years after moving? Has anyone else had this?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »
I work with a lady who has been battling an IBS-type problem for quite a while. She is British and has lived here all of her life, however, so can't really draw comparisons to your problem.

But it made me read up on it a bit. It is a fast-growing problem. Particularly among females. My pet theory is stress. But good lord, they talk about everything from junk food to hormonal contraceptives.

Then there are glutens. Have you tried going gluten free? I know they can test easily for the genetics, but some find that even without the actual gene thingy, gluten free seems to help.

A trip to the GP is probably in order.....though as with my workmate, it can be a long process of working through different things....

Personally, I do remember seemingly having more colds when I first moved over, so there may be something to the idea that you are encountering something you haven't yet built up immunity to.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 02:54:43 PM »
@sonofasailor yes, i have been gluten free for a couple of weeks, though its hard to say if it's the culprit yet. like i say, i notice even water upsetting my stomach.

and yes, the GP visits are an ongoing process. my last GP was somewhat helpful but my new one just completely dismissed me :( so on the hunt for a new one.

i also had very bad joint issues as well, i got a fracture in my foot last year so no apparent reason and my knee felt like it was going to give out. but after doing some research, i tried vitamin d, which helped a lot!

it very well may be stress, or maybe even a problem i already had getting worse, i just noticed it being unbearable though since i moved and i wonder if something is different in the foods or water that i havent adjusted to.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 04:12:44 PM »
i notice even water upsetting my stomach.

I don't want to try and play doctor, but out of curiosity, do you drink tap water? Do you get the same symptoms when you drink bottled water (flat or fizzy)?
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
@TravelingFrog I drink both sometimes, and thinking about it, i notice my stomach a lot more rumbly after drinking tap, i cant even recall if i have the same with bottled, i'll have to test this out.

oddly enough though, i do notice really bad symptoms when i drink filtered tap water from the office. i can only drink hot water from the office

• Liked: 47
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »
Joint pain can be a symptom of celiac disease and a whole host of other autoimmune conditions. I have been gluten free for 7 years after having a period in college where I was just sick after everything I ate combined with a family history of celiac.

They can test fairly easily for celiac, but the test is only accurate if you are currently eating gluten and have been for a while. The good news is that if you do test positive you can get special food off the NHS. since I am not willing to make myself sick for 2 weeks I haven't had the test.  :/

I'd continue with the GP appointments and keep trying with the gluten thing. Make sure you are being very vigilant about it, since for some people even the tiniest amount of cross contamination can cause a reaction. Like don't use the butter if someone else has touched it with a knife that has touched regular bread.

It's really tough because it's so miserable having constant GI symptoms and so hard to figure out what's triggering them. Good luck with all of it. I know it's miserable feeling gross all the time with no explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »
@sonofasailor yes, i have been gluten free for a couple of weeks, though its hard to say if it's the culprit yet. like i say, i notice even water upsetting my stomach.

and yes, the GP visits are an ongoing process. my last GP was somewhat helpful but my new one just completely dismissed me :( so on the hunt for a new one.

i also had very bad joint issues as well, i got a fracture in my foot last year so no apparent reason and my knee felt like it was going to give out. but after doing some research, i tried vitamin d, which helped a lot!

it very well may be stress, or maybe even a problem i already had getting worse, i just noticed it being unbearable though since i moved and i wonder if something is different in the foods or water that i havent adjusted to.

Hey Lalala75,

Your symptoms sound similar to my husband's and he has Crohn's disease. He has stomach upset, stomach pain and he also has joint issues. He has Enteropathic arthritis, caused by his immune system attacking his joints.

It might be something worth mentioning as an option to your GP. More women than men have Crohn's and it can develop at any time in your life.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 114
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:28:55 PM »

He has Enteropathic arthritis, caused by his immune system attacking his joints.
My husband has this as well (along with the gut trouble), though I'd never heard that term for it before.

To the OP: I don't really have any words of wisdom except to echo what others have said about seeing your GP. It may take some time, but I really hope you are able to figure out cause and get everything sorted out!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 09:40:50 PM »
My husband has this as well (along with the gut trouble), though I'd never heard that term for it before.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I didn't know the word until I asked him what kind of arthritis he has. I can only ever think of rheumatoid, thanks US drug commercials...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »
hi everyone, thanks for much for the info. i had not realised you can get chron's at any age and will definitely bring these up to my GP.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
Gut and joint problems ,especially autoimmune ones definitely go hand and hand.  However, it's dangerous to assume things based off Dr Google and UKY  ;) So first, definitely find a GP who is willing to listen to you.  However, I will say,you will probably need patience and persistence, because these things often take a while to actually sort out, not because GPs don't care, but because they're just complicated issues!   I would say too that it's worth writing out in advance all your symptoms (even if you think they're not related), when they happen, what you were eating-drinking- etc, family history to have on hand with discussions with your GP.  I hope you feel better soon. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 20

Hi, It could be the Vitamn D. It upsets my stomach terribly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
Also consider getting tested for an ulcer.

Hi Lalala,

Do you live in London? I experienced stomach issues when I first moved to London, and it was down to the tap water.

I don't have IBS, celiac or any other major health issues; my body just wasn't used to the normal tap water sediment. I had to treat myself to bottled water only for a few months while I gradually acclimated to it.

I live in the midlands now and I don't experience the problems anymore. I think it was just big city water. Your mileage may vary!

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
Sorry I've only now just seen your reply MrsNorton. I'm better than I was but it's still a struggle with my stomach. Another friend complained of the same thing so I'm starting to think it's maybe not unique to me. I'm about to move back to the states, so it will be a interesting to see if it was London water!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab