Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving back to US, best way to ship clothes...  (Read 1704 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving back to US, best way to ship clothes...
« on: February 10, 2016, 07:31:56 PM »
Hello, I've been in the UK a few years and am now ready to return home.  I don't have furniture, but have accumulated lots of "things" here over the years.  It's roughly $100 ish to take extra luggage, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for shipping? I'm not bothered by how long it takes, I'd just like the most cost effective way to do it.

Thank you.

• Liked: 163
Re: Moving back to US, best way to ship clothes...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:39:50 PM »
I recently moved two suitcases worth of stuff over to the UK (30 mins north of London) from the US (Texas), and after checking the cheapest/slowest options from FedEx, UPS, and DHL, it was still considerably cheaper to just pay British Airways for the extra baggage.

I realize you're going the other way, but with such a small amount (relatively) it wouldn't make sense to go with one of the normal cheap shippers like UPakWeShip.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a better alternative, but I think the extra baggage will probably be your best bet.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 01:08:45 AM »
Use your luggage allowance. My most recent US To the UK =2 duffle bags packed to the rim, 1 full desktop computer boxed, 2 full max weight of 50lbs each cost me 150$ plus the one way flight of $300 :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:24:21 PM »
I recently used a company called UPak we ship and got a pallet that i was able to fit close to thirty 12X12 boxes on it. They were great to work with and my stuff for to England before I got to England. I believe they ship worldwide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:07:54 PM »
An extra suitcase, up to 23 kg, costs £100 wth British Airways. Virgin Atlantic quotes £60 for the first extra, and £120 for subsequent bags.

I just checked to see if there are alternatives and came up with this link: https://www.sendmybag.com, which quotes as follows: "The price for items between 30kg and 70kg is calculated as £103.00 + £4.00 per kg over 30kg", and this appears to be for 2-3 day shipping. You can send suitcases, boxes, golf bags etc. Might be worth checking out?

Sponsored Links