Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: just answer the question.  (Read 1849 times)

just answer the question.
« on: May 20, 2003, 08:07:45 PM »
I know this will seem strange coming from someone who's lived here thirteen years, but since I've started working I've discovered certain things about the language that I never realized.  I think it's because I've only ever been around people who know me, but now that I'm working I have to deal with strangers every day.  The problem is this-I can't seem to answer questions the way people want.  People will ask me a specific question and I tend to answer very generally, almost telling them what I think that they want to know.  So they keep asking over and over until I eventually realize what they want to know, or more likely one of my co-workers answers them.  Here's an example.

What time does that area close?
We close at 2.00
No, what time does that area close?
It's closed for cleaning.
What time does it close?
We close at 2.00
No, do you see that area.  What time does it close?
Oh, um, it closes about 3.00
thank you.

So, is it just me.  Or is it an American thing.  Can we not answer a specific question.  Do we offer to much information. What is my problem here.   ???  :)

• Liked: 0
Re: just answer the question.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 06:17:23 AM »
Its funny that you think that it is an American thing, because my wife is sure that it is a British thing.  She insists that I can never answer a straight question!  :-/

For what it's worth, I think that she is as good as me at avoiding giving a straight answer!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 06:18:35 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 10:17:00 AM »
Mindy, you've turned British. All these years here and you are smellin' like English Leather, smothered in Marmite and cryin' to Elgar. Girlfriend, we are gonna kidnap you, make you sit in front of Home Shopping Network and stuff Twinkies down your throat.

It's the British who won't answer my questions!

No, wait...come to think of it. I don't do it either. Yeah, I ramble, yeah I go on and on about something and then finally get around to...wait, what was the question?

Hmmm, I think it's a matter of personality, rather than culture.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 10:29:59 AM »
Ok, maybe it's me.   :)  Although I can't remember ever having this trouble before in my former life.  Now, let's imagine it's my husband answering that question.

What time does that area close?

What specific area are you referring to?

That one.  (points)

What do you mean, specifically, when you say closed?

I mean sectioned off

Oh, well, you see, we find it necessary to section that area of the food hall off, in order that our cleaner may proceed to sweep without the interference of customers.  Unfortunately, I could not give you an exact time that we section that area off as it changes on a daily basis.  Somedays it's as early as 10 to 3.  Other days we do not section that area off until well after three o'clock.........blah, blah, blah.........customer has long since wandered off.

OK, maybe you're right.  It's not specifically an American thing.   :)

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 09:39:40 PM »
[smiley=laugh4.gif]
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 07:33:47 PM »
LOL Mindy...I would swear that last post of yours was written and directed by Tom... [smiley=laugh4.gif]
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 10:17:34 PM »
lol Mindy, apparently I have this problem too and I can't give anyone a straight answer.  Although, it's because some people don't ask the question that they really want answered. Like when you're standing in the way of someone and they say "Is anyone sitting there?"  I'll answer the question they asked and not the one they wanted answered which was "Is it ok if I sit there?" lol  

I think that's definitely an English thing.  American's seem direct most of the time and don't dither around a subject before getting to the point.

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 09:30:13 AM »
Nef, I see that too in the British...answering the question that was asked and not how one knows it was intended, seeing the joke of it. Your seat thing is an excellent example.

But then, I have noticed a distinct difference the other way when I write letters. Or am trying to make an important point. There's so much extra fluff to get around when (let's say) my husband is explaining, that I am straining inside until I burst, and then I blurt it all out in one sentence.

"If you could let me know at your eariliest convenience if this approach would be appropriate for your needs, I would greatly appreciate knowing your response sooner rather than later."
        versus
"Please let me know soon if you'd like it. Thanks."

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 06:25:50 PM »
I think I'm pretty direct with my answers.  In a work environment it can get tricky.  I've been told by my Brit boss during my early days working with Brits that I need to be less direct on both my emails and sometimes while interfacing with people on teams that I lead. Altlhough I always try to be pleasant and polite, I don't like to beat around the bush...that is such a waste of time in my opinion.  However, I have tried to adjust my communication style to fit whom I'm dealing with.  I'm not always successful and when I'm in a non-business situation, I usually fall back to my straight and to the point manner.
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab