Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: More clarification needed on visitors and NHS  (Read 1219 times)

• Liked: 68
More clarification needed on visitors and NHS
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »
I think this was touched on in another thread but I wanted to make a new one just to avoid confusion.

Something has come up and I feel the need to see a doctor.

I am here on a fiancee visa, so I am not entitled to NHS treatment, however, judging by the document hms_seahorse posted, I THINK this is what it is saying (please correct me if I am wrong):

I can see my GP for a consultation (I am registered since I lived here 6 years prior on a student visa, but I will make it known to them that I am back on a fiancee visa instead). If I need a prescription, I will pay full cost for it. If I need further treatment, blood tests, ultrasounds, etc, then I pay 150% the costs.

I can use the walk-in centre or A&E if needed (hopefully not!)

If my Doctor refers me to another clinic, will I have to pay for them too? Do I pay when I receive the services or do I get billed?

Will this affect my FLR(M) application? It seems NHS hospitals have, or should have, an overseas visitor manager who can help but unsure what would happen if I only see my GP.

I think I am just worried, but it's getting to the point where I can't ignore it anymore, but I want to do EVERYTHING right to make sure it won't affect my application in April. I'm terribly scared over it all :-/

• Liked: 3595
Re: More clarification needed on visitors and NHS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »
Have you taken out private health/travel insurance to cover you while you are on the fiance visa in case you need to use the NHS?

If you have a fiance visa (or other short-term visa), you are supposed take out your own health insurance to cover you for NHS treatment until you have your FLR(M) visa.

If you have health insurance, then you can use the NHS and you will only be charged the normal fee (100% not 150%) - which you would have to pay upfront and then claim back through your insurance company.

It's only people who use the NHS, but do NOT have any health insurance who will be charged the 150% for treatment.

So, using the NHS on your fiance visa is fine, and it won't affect any other visas as long as you make sure you pay for any treatment you receive.

The UKVI NHS surcharge webpage just says:

Visitor visas and short-term visas

You don’t have to pay the healthcare surcharge if you’re applying from outside the UK for a visitor visa or any visa that lasts 6 months or less.

You don’t need to use the healthcare surcharge service or get an IHS reference number for your visa application. Instead, you’ll have to pay for any healthcare you get through the NHS at the point you use it.
(https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/overview)

And then another gov.uk page says this:
People living outside the EEA

People who live outside the EEA, including former UK residents, should now make sure they are covered by personal health insurance, unless an exemption applies to them. Anyone who does not have insurance will be charged at 150% of the NHS national tariff for any care they receive.
(https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-to-improve-overseas-visitors-contributions-to-nhs-care)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »
No, I didn't :-( Wish I did now though of course. You just dont expect these things to hit when they do which is even more reason why I should have got insurance! I know I'll have to pay 150% of the fee. I just hope they can talk to me about what to expect to be charged before anything happens (if it gets that far). Hopefully it won't go further than a quick visit with the GP.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 10:09:26 AM »
No, I didn't :-( Wish I did now though of course. You just dont expect these things to hit when they do which is even more reason why I should have got insurance! I know I'll have to pay 150% of the fee. I just hope they can talk to me about what to expect to be charged before anything happens (if it gets that far). Hopefully it won't go further than a quick visit with the GP.

You may be okay, but I wonder, are you able to take out any insurance now that you're already in the UK?

I'm not sure what the requirements would be for taking out a policy, but it might be worth looking into.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
Another thought as you just finished studies - any chance you are still covered on your parents insurance?

If you need to see the doctor, you need to go.  You'll likely find the bill isn't too scary. Whenever we go to the US, we seem to have to take our daughter for something.  Even the US bills are always too small to warrant filing through our insurance (£50 deductible).

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
No not covered by theirs sadly.

I might go to the GP next week. For him to just see me, I think it won't cost anything from what I can understand. Of course I hope it ends there :-/

• Liked: 342
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:01:06 PM »
but I want to do EVERYTHING right to make sure it won't affect my application in April. I'm terribly scared over it all :-/

You really need to take out insurance asap. If you have an accident your NHS bill could run into thousands if you need an operation or stay on a ward. That bill would need to be paid before you could have another visa.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:07:48 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links