Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Student w/ spouse: Is it REALLY this easy?  (Read 1090 times)

Student w/ spouse: Is it REALLY this easy?
« on: May 21, 2003, 12:24:41 AM »
In September, I'll be coming to London -- with my wife -- to attend a one-year graduate program. I've looked at a bunch of websites to find out what type of visa/work permit requirements we need to deal with, and the answer, unbelievably, seems to be: NONE.

Being from the US, it seems, makes me a "non-visa national," meaning I don't need "prior entry clearance." Rather, I just walk through the customs line when I arrive at the airport, show them documentation that I am indeed a student, and they let me in. Moreover, it seems to say that my wife is automatically allowed to work while she is in London with me (provided we'll be there for at least a year, which we will be).

Now, this just sounds too easy! Can it be true? I'm worried that I'm going to arrive in Heathrow and the immigration officer will laugh at me and send me back home for being so foolish! And what about when my wife goes to look for a job (and me for a part-time job)... won't they want to see some documentation that we're allowed to work? Or will the stamp in our passports do the trick?

Has anyone had this experience?

• Liked: 1
Re: Student w/ spouse: Is it REALLY this easy?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 03:22:57 PM »
Hi there.  I origionally come to the UK as a student.  I can't comment on your wife's situation, but it really is just about that easy to get in to study.  The two things that I remember off the top of my head that they considered very important were documentation proving that you are enrolled in a course here in the UK (and probably some contact numbers) and they also said to bring documentation proving that you have enough money to support yourself.  

To be honest I don't think I was ever asked for either, but that was pre Sept. 11 so they might be more strict about it now.

We weren't allowed to work the year I was over here, I think they changed the rules the year after.  I did come over for 6 months on the BUNAC programme and they don't require a visa as such either.  There was just a stamp in my passport that said I was free to work until date stated, but wasn't allowed benifits.  I would suspect that you will get something simular which states you can work for up to 20 hours per week until stated date.  Hopefully someone else will know the answer for sure.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

Sponsored Links