Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Texas shopping list  (Read 3727 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: Texas shopping list
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »
Picoso peanuts
Real corn tortillas
Velveeta cheese
Big Red Soda
Band aids
Texas Pecans

I may need a separate bag for everything I need to bring back lol

Yeah, corn tortillas, definitely!  :)
Big Red soda, I've never heard of... is it cinnamon, like the chewing gum?
Band Aids... why?

• Liked: 154
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 06:50:33 PM »

You may have already tried this, but shops like Poundstretcher, Home Bargains, B&M have soft Australian licorice in apple, blackcurrant and strawberry for like 99p.  You might like the strawberry one?

Thanks for the suggestion! I've found twizzlers at an American candy kiosk but is so expensive!!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »
Jimbocz I'm jealous!! :)
I'd like to add something to my list:

Nilla Wafers
Banana pudding
Peanut butter cookies
Funyuns

I'm dying over here!!
Apr 2010 First visit to the UK
Oct 2010 We were married
May 05 2014 Received 1st FLR (M)
May 27, 2014 Landed in the UK
July 25,2014 Started Working
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 111
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 10:19:12 PM »

Yeah, corn tortillas, definitely!  :)
Big Red soda, I've never heard of... is it cinnamon, like the chewing gum?
Band Aids... why?

This is a Texas list so Big Red would definitely be on it. It's a soft drink from Waco in central Texas. Dr Pepper is from a neighboring area called Dublin. Big Red is kind of a cream soda/ bubble gum taste. It's hard to describe but it's sweet and fizzy and I like it.

I lived in England from 95-04 and it was an American food wasteland BIG TIME! My best friend would visit from Houston three times a year and would always bring me: (4) 3 liter bottles of Dr Pepper, six bags of Sabritones (puffed wheat snacks with lime & chile seasoning), cinnamon candies (Hot Tamales, Red Hots, etc) and masa harina so I could make my own corn tortillas. When I move back in the next few years, I'll have the Sabritones, the cinnamon candy and masa harina but skip the Dr Pepper. I'll add liquid smoke for my brisket on the bbq and whole dried chiles so I can make my own enchilada sauce :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 11:03:40 PM »
Ranch Dressing powder packets (easy transport and just need ingredients)
Ranch Dip powder packets (different from the dressing ingredients)
Neosporin
Mexican candy (I'm from South Texas)
Hot Tamales candy (father in law loves them)
DayQuil and NyQuil

Sent via iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »

This is a Texas list so Big Red would definitely be on it. It's a soft drink from Waco in central Texas. Dr Pepper is from a neighboring area called Dublin. Big Red is kind of a cream soda/ bubble gum taste. It's hard to describe but it's sweet and fizzy and I like it.

My parents live in Texas, but I've never lived there, so had never heard of Big Red.  Might try it for a laugh... sounds a bit like Irn Bru?  I always think Irn Bru tastes like a combination of bubble gum, orange soda and... iron tablets.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 10:55:50 AM »
How about an answer to the band aid question?  I'm intrigued, never noticed anything different about the bandages here.

Sent   using Tapatalk

• Liked: 82
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
How about an answer to the band aid question?  I'm intrigued, never noticed anything different about the bandages here.

Sent   using Tapatalk
I find bandaids crap here. They don't stick. And don't get me started on bandages........why can't they give proper sorry like an ace bandage.   

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 03:02:17 PM »
Thanks a lot, you've probably ruined band aids for me now!  I'm going to have to start bringing my own

Sent   using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »
I've never had a problem with the bandaids not sticking here in the UK.
 Then again, I always had trouble keeping Bandaid brand bandaids on, so maybe it depends on your skin type for how well the glue works?

And I wondered if they had ace bandages here or not. I haven't gotten a sprain or anything since I moved, but I did wonder... just in case.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »
Regarding ace bandages....I have found some pretty good ones....but the ones I have found don't have the little metal clippy parts....so you end up using the tuck-in technique.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »
Ah, okay! I have no idea how to do that. I might just buy one next time I back in the states and order some extra clips. We lost ours once and wrote to ACE and they sent us a small manilla envelope full of them. It was awesome. I did lose a lot of those too. haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 04:25:22 PM »
While I haven't had any issue with Bandaids here, I do bring back Q-tips!  There is a BIG difference if you compare a UK cotton bud to a good ole Q-tip.   ;D

• Liked: 533
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
We lost ours once and wrote to ACE and they sent us a small manilla envelope full of them. It was awesome.

That kind of thing makes my day....because you know how that sort of things works....your letter arrives at ACE headquarters, among all the other mail...and it has to go through the system and finally there's a person in a storeroom somewhere....probably in another state....and they actually take the time to find an envelope and address it and pile a bunch in there and processes it through the mailing system...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 05:51:20 PM »
That kind of thing makes my day....because you know how that sort of things works....your letter arrives at ACE headquarters, among all the other mail...and it has to go through the system and finally there's a person in a storeroom somewhere....probably in another state....and they actually take the time to find an envelope and address it and pile a bunch in there and processes it through the mailing system...
We definitely weren't expecting it, but it was really cool. So useful though. My mom was the one who sprained her ankle, then a few years later I did a real number on mine and that's when I started loosing all the clips... haha. I also used them to help with my shin splints when I'd started running.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab