Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Texas shopping list  (Read 3730 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Texas shopping list
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »
Now, I know (hope!) this is an exaggeration, but as a scientist who assigns expiry dates to medicinal drug products, keep in mind that these products have expiry dates for a reason.  I suggest checking the expiration date when you buy in bulk, and (depending on the product) consider buying once every three years, rather than every ten... :)

Out of interest, what can go wrong if you ingest some elderly Aleve?  :-\\\\

I'm still (occasionally) using some that expired a while ago on the basis that the worst that can happen is that it becomes ineffective!  ::)

• Liked: 14
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2016, 07:25:02 PM »
Well I'm a Masshole  ;) born,n bred..
So when i go for a visit (which i will be in June, first in 2 years ) I will be bringing back

Dunkin Donuts coffee
Splenda sachets
ZipLoc bags(sandwich and freezer size) with the actual zip
Good n Plenty licorice
Hawaiian Punch sugar free singles
rold gold Honey Wheat pretzels
Wheat thins
That's a starter list :) With the Dunkins being the MOST important ;)

• Liked: 7
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 10:07:05 PM »
Out of interest, what can go wrong if you ingest some elderly Aleve?  :-\\\\

I'm still (occasionally) using some that expired a while ago on the basis that the worst that can happen is that it becomes ineffective!  ::)

Yes, drugs can lose their potency (say the pill contains 80 mg active ingredient rather than 100 mg), but that would suggest that the active ingredient has degraded into something else. What it has degraded to may not necessarily be fully researched; and it could have potential genotoxic effects. 

Also, people generally store medication in the bathroom - which can become a hot, humid atmosphere on a fairly regular basis.  Most stability data generated for drug products is based on closed bottles, with the foil induction sealed liner still in-tact, and where applicable, the silica desiccant canister still in the bottle (desiccants keep the product itself from absorbing too much moisture).  In your bathroom cupboard -- this is likely not the case.  The first thing you do is pop the foil, chuck the desiccant in the bin, take what you want, and put it back in the cupboard for a few years.

Also, depending on the formulation- microbial growth is more likely to happen in liquid formulations than solid ones (for example "liqui-gel" capsules).  if there are any preservatives present in the formulation, it may be possible that these also degrade and are no longer effective at warding off microbial growth.  Throw in the hot, moist, dark environment and you've got a nice breeding ground!

Now - how likely is any of this?  I'd say it depends on the product.  I'm sure that many thousands of people have consumed expired medications in the past, and will continue to do so well into the future.  For something like tylenol/aleve/advil, I imagine it's not that big a deal; however, I also don't work for McNeil/Bayer/Pfizer, so honestly without seeing the data, I can't exactly conclusively say that.

Personally, I prefer that the UK sells these sorts of things in smaller packaging - saves space in my cupboard, the individually wrapped "blister packaging" offers considerably more protection against the bathroom's humidity, and it ensures that I actually manage to use them up before they go off.  But do I still sometimes find expired products lurking? Yes. Do I ingest them? Depends, but more than likely (so long as it's not >2 years gone).  That's my own personal choice (or stupidity?), but I feel that I've made an informed decision, and have already weighed the risks over the benefits.

Wow that was longer than it should've been...

In respect of the original thread....I also bring back packs of Band-Aid brand plasters and Neosporin every time :)  I prefer Band-Aid brand plasters to the kind they sell here, but my OH prefers the kind here, so we normally have a pack of each.  But Neosporin -- I don't think a decent alternative exists here!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2016, 10:27:31 PM »
Thanks PickledSakura, great post!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 07:46:35 PM »

Hawaiian Punch sugar free singles

oooooh, I'd forgotten how much I loved Hawaiian Punch when I was a kid!  Might need to get some of these...

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 03:31:13 PM »
I've added a few things to my list:

Swerve sweetener (the powdered kind... I know we can get erythritol here, but I've only ever seen the granular type.)

cinnamon-flavoured liquid stevia

lemon pepper

I also need to make a note to myself to check out the Jo Malone perfumes in duty free...

• Liked: 68
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion! I've found twizzlers at an American candy kiosk but is so expensive!!

There were big bags of twizzlers on sale at my local B&M for £1.50!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »

Oh man, I wish we had one here :(

• Liked: 537
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 08:08:02 PM »

were they cherry or strawberry? i miss being able to get a pound bag of them at the grocery store.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »
were they cherry or strawberry? i miss being able to get a pound bag of them at the grocery store.

A pound bag, Lyonaria?! Holy cow!

It reminds me of the time my best buddy came to visit me in England and brought a pound bag of Hot Tamale cinnamon candy (amongst other goodies) for my family to SHARE, share being the operative word. I put them on the table and we left for the day and left the husband at home. We returned a few hours later to my husband violently throwing up in the bathroom after he consumed the entire bag! That was 20 years ago and he visibly flinches when he smells them now.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2016, 11:12:52 PM »
A pound bag, Lyonaria?! Holy cow!

Well, yeah. It's a better deal to buy them in a big bag. If you got the 2 pound bag they could be ziplocked shut again and you'd have twizzlers for weeks!

They'd be shared with the entire extended family of 7 people. It's not like I sat there and ate a whole bag by myself. The most I've ever eaten at one time was 4 or 5 individual twizzlers.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 10:49:54 AM »

I remember there were two types but not sure the flavors. I think one was the kind you peel though. I'll try to get back there this week to see if they're still in. Our local B&M has a lot of American candy actually and at good prices, much better than Tesco!

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 06:26:03 PM »
Also chewable Pepto (used to be able to get that here but can't find it anymore).

I saw those Pepto tablets in Boots today.  If your local Boots doesn't stock them, you might try Boots.com?

• Liked: 70
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 11:34:55 PM »
The things I like most I've slowed weaned off of.  But I'd go back if given the option!  My first couple years I had a constant stock of Kraft Mac & Cheese from the box, the kind with powdered cheese, and proper dill pickles.

I'd love to curl up with a meal of mac & cheese, side of pickles, followed by butter lovers popcorn and 3 scoops of ice cream: moose tracks, bryer's mint chocolate chip and publix brand coffee chip.  The grocery stores here have such a limited ice cream selection!

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
I'd love to curl up with a meal of mac & cheese, side of pickles, followed by butter lovers popcorn and 3 scoops of ice cream: moose tracks, bryer's mint chocolate chip and publix brand coffee chip.  The grocery stores here have such a limited ice cream selection!

PUBLIX! Wow, I miss that place. Publix subs and ice cream are indeed the best!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab