Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Possible Move: Considerations  (Read 1618 times)

• Liked: 0
Possible Move: Considerations
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:27:18 AM »
I am trying to analytically approach a job offer I have just received (decision needs to be made soon). My salary in the UK will be comparable to what I have now in the US (living in Texas). I will have a home to sell here, vehicles to liquidate (one is a lease and the other one is newer; we'll lose a bunch of money), and pets to transfer (1 dog and 2 cats). Those costs I can calculate.

However, what else should I be thinking of:

- rental costs in UK
- cell phones (terminating contracts in US + new contracts in UK)
- utility expenses
- buying a car in UK
- getting UK drivers license
- NHS covering meds for disabled spouse

• Liked: 3595
Re: Possible Move: Considerations
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 03:43:09 AM »
- rental costs: it will depend where in the UK you are moving to and what size and type of property you are after. Rent in the north of the country is much cheaper than in the south, while in London it can be very expensive. I live in Lincoln (East Midlands/East England) and I pay £550 per month for a newly renovated 1-bedroom flat in a listed building. Previously I have paid £650/month for a 2-bed, terraced house in the centre of Lincoln and £450/month for a 2-bed house in a nearby village.

However, in Bristol, where I'm from, you'd be looking at probably close to £1,000/month for similar properties.

- cell phone contracts I think are cheaper than in the US. I have SIM-only on EE with an iPhone4 (I already had the phone) for £16/month - 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB data. A similar contract but including an iPhone5 was going to be £35/month

- utilities will depend on size or property and your usage, but I'd estimate about £100-120/month council tax, £20-50/month for broadband/digital TV/phone line (obviously depends on how much you want to pay an what speed/packages you choose) and maybe £100/month for other utilities

- Getting a car will depend how much you want to spend... I usually buy second hand cars for £3,000 or less. Then insurance will likely be fairly high on US licences/new UK licences... Maybe £1,000/year, plus road tax as well £130/year or so (depends on vehicle). Annual MOT and service will probably be about £200.

- not sure how much a driving licence costs these days. You can drive on US licences for 12 months from the date you move, but you have to take and pass the UK tests to get a UK licence to be able drive after the first 12 months. It's a good idea to take some driving lessons to learn how to pass the test as it's very specific and easy to fail. I'd budget up to a few hundred pounds per person to get the licence.

- when you apply for visas, you will pay an NHS surcharge of £200 per year of the visa (paid in full upfront). This will give free (at point of service) access to all NHS services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »
Rightmove.co.uk is good for searching rentals in the area you are considering.  You can then look at the local council webpage to determine the monthly council tax (mine is £250/month) so it does vary.  Pets will limit your rental choices but you should still have some options.

Other considerations are starting from scratch again, no credit, learning the UK schooling (if you have kids), budgeting for return trips home, etc.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 10:20:36 PM »
Thank you both so much!

I would be moving to the Coventry area.

Yes, the thought of starting credit from scratch and paying for trips home does suck. Right now I fly to Europe for free using points/miles and I know that is not as popular in the UK.

• Liked: 15
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:47:41 PM »
If your spouse requires meds on a regular basis you can buy (over and above the NHS access charge) a £104 annual pre-payment cert - whenever you fill a prescription, present it and you then get the prescription free.  Currently its £8.25 per item so you break even if you have 1 prescription per month.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »
Not sure where you get the idea that using points for flights isn't as popular in the UK? We use BA Avios for flights both in Europe and back to the US, also collect United and Hilton points by using c/cards.

However you may find that its as cheap to buy a flight within Europe using a discount airline as using points, because airline taxes are expensive here.

If you aren't going to be paying a monthly health insurance premium you may find you are as well off in the UK as in Texas. You may not drive as many miles but still spend the same on petrol. I find there are more free things to do here, and we ride our bikes much more than we ever did in Texas as we're not dying in the heat!

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 09:20:11 AM »
Have you spent time in the UK before on a shorter term assignment to see if you like it here and if you think you can adapt to the change in lifestyle?

Maybe rent your home instead of selling (it's very unlikely you will be able to buy here until you have Indefinite Leave to Remain unless you are paying cash for a home).  Small steps to still have a "return" to the US in case  you find it wasn't the right move.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 11:07:33 PM »
I guess I just got the sense that there aren't as many credit card options as there is in the US. I probably have about 15-20 miles cards that are open at any given time.

Unfortunately, given the career I am in (academia) short-term assignments wouldn't work. I agree that it would be optimal to do that.

I have a romanticized "grass is greener" view of Europe, but I know the reality is different. I had that when I moved to Miami and I went to the beach twice (once to show a family member).

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »
The grass is greener where you water it.   ;)

If you are going to have a more positive outlook on life by moving, then this could be the best move you ever make.

I like my life here, I liked my life in the US.  I don't find the UK to be superior to the US or vice versa.  I see the pros and cons of both locations.  Some people feel much more at home here in the UK, others feel more at home in the US.  It's impossible to know which category you will fall into.  For me, I live the same life here that I did in the US (work hard, pay bills, take great holidays). 

The only real difference for me has been how often I see and speak to my family.  Only speak once a week due to time zone differences and everyone working.  When I lived in the US we spoke more frequently.  I see my parents twice a year (probably saw them 4 times I year in the US).  I used to see my brother very frequently but I've only seen him twice since moving and have only met one of my nephews once.   :\\\'(

I think some people think life will be "sexier" in the UK.  Personally, I think it's just the same life in a different location.  Yeah, I can take holidays more easily in Europe.  But my friends can take holidays more easily in North and Central America. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:52:31 AM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »
For me, I live the same life here that I did in the US

This is probably similar to my perspective. There are daily practicalities that...even in India or Cape Town....you do on a regular basis that consume most of your time. Subtract out work, sleep and things like shopping and eating...you know....

If you like to read or exercise or paint...any sort of transferable hobby....then you do those things here almost exactly as anywhere. Give me a soft chair, a cup of coffee and a biography on Pope Pius XI...and I could be anywhere in the world and be happy. However, as population density is for-the-most-part greater here in the South of England....the chances for noisy neighbours are greater. So having a quiet read can be a challenge cheek to jowl with a large-familied neighbour with a new trampoline. 

But again, as KF says, if I can sort of paraphrase, there is a sort of intangible 'hominess' that a place can have for some people. I think perhaps for some....that feeling can almost be a negative....if they are prone to wanderlust.

Regarding that, it seems that we hear with some frequency that it may be true that it is harder to make friends/become part of the community here.....which may be a major part of developing the feeling of "home". I don't know....I feel I am an untrustworthy test subject for that, as I don't know that Western society itself hasn't evolved into a more closed-naturedness. I certainly remember having lots more friends in my 20's in the US.....but who doesn't?

One comment I read somewhere regarding this difficulty of establishing friendships ran along the lines that if you move to an area later in life....that you find other people have already sort of filled out their friendship dockets already. There is just no more room in people's lives for another relationship....when their current relationships already demand so much.

Are Brits more standoffish? Perhaps. I will say that as an American immigrant...I think that the natives have a bit more trouble pigeon-holing you. I think there is a tendency/trait of humanity to sort/categorize new people.....probably some sort of evolutionary function....useful when a new tribe approached over the horizon at the water hole. Perhaps the Neanderthal lacked this....and misjudged, with terrible result, upon meeting the first few Sapiens....

And I think that in particular here in Britain....where societal pockets formed (as shown by the distinctive area-related accents and slang), and where perhaps class plays a stronger role, that snap judgements are quickly made. Clothing seems to be a strong marker.

I was reading a fascinating article about tattoos...where the author wrote about observing two heavily tattooed people talking at a party in London.  The one (from accent partially) was determined to be "working class" and had a jumble of mismatched designs...where as the other....a middle-class looking hipster....had a very coordinated "sleeve". Perhaps that sort of judgement moment exists in the US, but I can't help but think of Mark Zuckerburg in his T-shirt and jeans or Bill Gates in his dockers and button-down oxford.

And specifically for the American immigrant, I feel that we don't quite fit into these standard judgement parameters. If you were say Somalian, the British native could easily slip you into a category (well of course you are the UK, you are probably a refugee, and all refugees are headed for the UK). Obviously this judgement can be totally wrong...and is in itself sort of morally dodgy....but even when mistaken, or even the product of bigotry, it allows the native to be quickly comfortable with the relationship.     

An American, though.....just why are you here? And how long will you be here? And what is that American accent? Is that Long Island? Kansas City? Are you a hick, or a stockbroker? Or a hick stockbroker? There is just a little more confusion....

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »
I guess I just got the sense that there aren't as many credit card options as there is in the US. I probably have about 15-20 miles cards that are open at any given time.

You have 15-20 credit cards??!?!?!

• Liked: 15
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »
If Donald Trump gets to be President Brits will probably start to consider American ex-pats as refugees

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »
Son of Sailor, you are exactly right about that pigeon hole thing.    For me, it is overwhelmingly advantageous personally and professionally.  Since they don't know where to put me, they tend to put me higher. 

I'm lucky that way.  Or maybe just too thick to understand I'm being made fun of...

Sent   using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »
For me, it is overwhelmingly advantageous personally and professionally.  Since they don't know where to put me, they tend to put me higher. 

It can be....absolutely. Case-in-point, I graduated from Florida State University.....in the US let's face it....it has a decent football team and ranks regularly on Playboy's Top Party Colleges list. Nothing wrong with it.....but it is palmetto league not Ivy.

When it occasionally pops up in conversation here, people sometimes say something like, "Oh, state university....is it the official school?" I always reply, "Well, if you compare Florida's university system to say...Oxford and Cambridge....them FSU is like Cambridge.....sort of second place."

And they always go, "Oh, like Cambridge....oh my..."

I always say something like, "Well...ahem...".

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 01:24:48 PM »
Spot On!  I graduated from UNCC which is no big deal as far as I am concerned, but on my CV I throw in some Cum Laudes and the Brits swoon. 

Sent   using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links