Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: House spiders  (Read 1766 times)

• Liked: 154
House spiders
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
I experienced my first [giant] house spider today. My husband warned me that they'll be more prominent as the weather gets warmer. But eeeek!!! I hate spiders and if they really do become more prominent I may burn the darn flat down.

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Re: House spiders
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »
I am not afraid of spiders in the least, but my husband and step-son are absolutely *terrified* of them. It is up to the womenfolk - me and our Westie, Lola - to remove such pests from our abode.

That said, they sure grow 'em big here!  Ick.
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »
Brace yourself for summer!  I really don't get why window screens haven't caught on here.  My husband (Brit) hates spiders.  Me and the cats are in charge of removing them from our house.   ;D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
My house in Portsmouth had several that were as big as my thumb.  We hated them at first then I just learned to deal with them.  I did have a stick I would use to clear the way when I was walking to the shed. 

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »
I was on FaceTime with my parents when I moved our clothes dryer and saw it. They thought I was ridiculous lol. I hate spiders but I think it's because I've {stupidly} watched one to many videos of people smashing spiders and a million babies come out.  I'm sure I'll learn to deal sooner than later.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 06:12:53 PM »
I hate spiders but I think it's because I've {stupidly} watched one to many videos of people smashing spiders and a million babies come out.

Ewww haha! ;)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »
I just completely ignore them, we have a non aggression pact.  I'm fairly sure none of the ones in your house could hurt you or explode into a thousand baby spiders.  They just want to hunt bugs and might appreciate a drink of water!

Sent   using Tapatalk

• Liked: 85
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
I just completely ignore them, we have a non aggression pact.  I'm fairly sure none of the ones in your house could hurt you or explode into a thousand baby spiders.  They just want to hunt bugs and might appreciate a drink of water!

This is it -- if they insist on getting up in my business, then we may have to hold formal talks and enact sanctions. Otherwise, the spiders can go on doing spider things. (Although I cannot be held responsible for the actions of the cats.) We live in a basement flat through which the landlord can access two draughty, dusty storage/boiler rooms, and our front door opens directly into the back garden, so all manner of insects get in despite our best efforts. The spiders kindly take on the responsibility of ridding the flat of six-legged berks, making co-existence quite amenable.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 11:59:49 AM »
It's threads like this that make me glad I live in a 2nd floor flat far away from bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 584
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
It's threads like this that make me glad I live in a 2nd floor flat far away from bugs.

Me too!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »
I am horribly, absolutely and thoroughly afraid of spiders. My fear comes from the early childhood trauma of a friend of my uncle's (they were 17 at the time) putting his tarantula on my arm, when I was 5. He wasn't supposed to have it at grandma's house, but teen boys will be teen boys. I was too terrified to scream, watching in horror as it climbed up my arm and shoulder then was starting onto my neck before he took it off. Just a bit of harmless fun... we'd never let you get hurt... blah blah blah and jokes cracked for a bit by the guys standing around.

Because of that, I can't cope with any spider, even 'harmless' house spiders. My FIL nearly fainted when he heard that I actually killed, or had hubby kill, spiders. He'd tell me to take them outside if I didn't want them in the house. If they go outside, they just come back inside, usually with a spouse and several thousand children. Ick. Death is best.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 06:37:52 PM »
They are huge in the UK  and  Yes, KILL them...but DH and his family  were  horrified when I went  looking for  RAID...  then  again  MIL  leaves  spider webs  hanging about...   ??? ???
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Liked: 47
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »

They are huge in the UK  and  Yes, KILL them...but DH and his family  were  horrified when I went  looking for  RAID...  then  again  MIL  leaves  spider webs  hanging about...   ??? ???

Haha. This reminds me of my sister. She spent 2 years living in Malawi and got friendly with spiders in her house because they killed the malaria carrying mosquitoes. Even then she still got malaria 3 times. My mother and I went to visit her once and she got mad at my mom for killing the spider that was living in the drain of her bathroom sink. She said he was her friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 15
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 10:54:22 PM »
I run a sort of eugenics program, I allow one spider per room and if I see any other insects then its got an hour to get it or its bye bye spider.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 09:05:32 AM »

I have a can of hairspray in my kitchen so I can freeze them before killing lol. Couldn't find actual bug killer anywhere.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab