Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help with entry requirements  (Read 3398 times)

Help with entry requirements
« on: March 23, 2016, 12:37:19 PM »
I'm looking into radiography at the University of Exeter. I'm still not clear on most of the UK academic terms. Can anyone explain the section of entry requirements to me?
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medical-imaging/imaging/#Entry-requirements

I'm not sure what "typical offer" means and I don't know what any of the things listed under the required subjects are.
I'm a high school graduate and I've mentioned that I'm willing to go to "college" in the UK if I don't meet the requirements for a university. I just want to go to the U.K. Thanks :)

• Liked: 47
Re: Help with entry requirements
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »
Click on the foundation programme link in the link you posted. That ought to give you some info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
Did you do any AP classes in high school?

The subjects are the A-levels they would require applicants to have completed, and the typical offer shows the grades they expect for A-levels. So they wouldn't accept anyone with less than 3 B grades at A-levels. IB is International Baccalaureate.

A-levels are the exams students take after 2 years at college, generally American AP exams are considered equivalent.

If you just have a high school diploma with no AP courses, you'll probably have to do a foundation year.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:18:42 PM »
Did you do any AP classes in high school?

The subjects are the A-levels they would require applicants to have completed, and the typical offer shows the grades they expect for A-levels. So they wouldn't accept anyone with less than 3 B grades at A-levels. IB is International Baccalaureate.

A-levels are the exams students take after 2 years at college, generally American AP exams are considered equivalent.

If you just have a high school diploma with no AP courses, you'll probably have to do a foundation year.

No, I did not do AP classes in high school. There's a foundation and INTO program and I'm not sure what the difference is. I'm thinking that the foundation program is more for people who don't speak English well and INTO is for people who don't meet academic requirements? I've sent them many emails with no response, so I'm hoping they reply to the one I sent regarding this. I'm not sure which subject in the program would correlate with Medical Imaging... I wish this was more clear on their site...

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »
There's a foundation and INTO program and I'm not sure what the difference is. I'm thinking that the foundation program is more for people who don't speak English well and INTO is for people who don't meet academic requirements?

As far as I can tell, the INTO programme offers range of different courses for international students wishing to study in the UK, some of which are foundation courses. I just went to the INTO website and then selected the foundation courses for international students, and it came up with about 20 different foundation course options.

Looks like they offer two international foundation courses, though I see they both give training in English Language skills- one is 3 terms (1 academic year... the terms run approx Sept-Dec, Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun), and the other is 4 terms (i.e. summer classes plus 1 full academic year) for students who need extra English language tuition.

There also are foundation courses available for UK students, whereby it looks like a foundation year is incorporated into the actual bachelors degree programme, for example:
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/foundation/2017

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »

There also are foundation courses available for UK students, whereby it looks like a foundation year is incorporated into the actual bachelors degree programme, for example:
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/foundation/2017

Yes! The only difference I can see is that the INTO programs count as the first year of an undergraduate study and lead to the second year, whereas the foundation program is more of a pre-university course. My questions have been answered since this is posted so thank you! Also, I'm interested in the course I mentioned above, Radiography. Do you know which course in the foundation/INTO program would correlate with that by any chance? 

Sponsored Links