Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK-US food subsitutions and Conversion chart  (Read 52132 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: UK-US food subsitutions and Conversion chart
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
Discovery Brand Buffalo Sauce!!!!

NOOOOOOOO! I would rather never eat another buffalo wing in my life then have to eat this stuff! It is horrible! My husband was all excited to find this in the shop so he brought it home for me as a surprise. I felt so bad for him because he was doing something nice for me but I took one bite and  that was all I could take. :-X

Tesco sell Franks Hot Sauce and you can make a really nice buffalo sauce from it. I just add butter, Cayenne pepper, pepper, salt and garlic. It does the trick for me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:21:19 PM by Jupy »

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »
I would rather never eat another buffalo wing in my life then have to eat this stuff!

LOL... I don't think I ever *have* eaten a buffalo wing in my life!
It's just spicy chicken wings, isn't it?  If so... wouldn't any hot sauce you like do the trick?

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2009, 01:21:49 PM »
I think you need to buy polish pickles to approximate what we get for dill pickles in america.

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
LOL... I don't think I ever *have* eaten a buffalo wing in my life!
It's just spicy chicken wings, isn't it?  If so... wouldn't any hot sauce you like do the trick?

Clearly not just any hot sauce will do. Other wise people would use just any old hot sauce and wouldn't be asking where to find buffalo sauce. It's just something you wont understand until you taste them a suppose. On that note, if you ever do decide to try them use something other then the Discovery Brand. To me the Discovery Sauce was more like a salsa (A very bad salsa too) thick and chunky. Gross!

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
Clearly not just any hot sauce will do. Other wise people would use just any old hot sauce and wouldn't be asking where to find buffalo sauce.

Clearly?  :-X  :-X

What makes buffalo sauce different / more suitable to the job?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2009, 03:11:36 PM »
What's wrong with Franks? My husband was over the moon when I found that. I thought it was even made in Buffalo, or originates from there anyhow.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
Clearly?  :-X  :-X

It's a specific recipe. I guess to those who love Buffalo wings, not having the right sauce is the same as asking for a hot Madras curry and actually getting a Jalfrezi or something else! :)

MTA: There are different Buffalo sauce recipes even here. So everyone's mileage may vary with what they find as an acceptable replacement - just like with pickles, ranch dressing, etc!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:19:28 PM by balmerhon »
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
Clearly?  :-X  :-X

The flavor!  :) If you eat meat and like spicy food you really should try them sometime.

It's a specific recipe. I guess to those who love Buffalo wings, not having the right sauce is the same as asking for a hot Madras curry and actually getting a Jalfrezi or something else! :)

MTA: There are different Buffalo sauce recipes even here. So everyone's mileage may vary with what they find as an acceptable replacement - just like with pickles, ranch dressing, etc!

Yes, Sorta like asking for a Big Mac and getting a Whopper. Both are burgers (and yummy) but they are not the same. Just like "buffalo" and "hot" sauces are the same but different. Sorry I can't think of another way to explain it.  :-\\\\

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »

I agree! I've never had pre-made Buffalo sauce, but I can't tell you how many people in the US have claimed theirs is the "authentic" recipe - yet they're all quite different. Some of them may in fact be very much like ordinary hot sauce.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
I agree! I've never had pre-made Buffalo sauce, but I can't tell you how many people in the US have claimed theirs is the "authentic" recipe - yet they're all quite different. Some of them may in fact be very much like ordinary hot sauce.

Yup. It's almost as bad as people with their BBQ recipes - closely guarded and always 'authentic' ::) ;)

We make hot wings now and then, and we're pretty purist. We just use Tabasco, cayenne, butter and garlic. We don't use any other name-brand hot sauce in it aside from Tabasco.

Now, if you want to talk about something you can't get in the UK that you have to make to go with the wings, then that would be decent bleu cheese dressing!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• If you take my breath away...
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »
I think there is a cream or fat element to buffalo sauce that hot sauce lacks.  If you shake a bottle of hot sauce, it has the consistency of water but good buffalo sauce will have a more custardy consistency.  Buffalo sauce has heat and flavor, whereas hot sauce is really just about heat.

I remember looking at the label of some Hooters wing sauce in a grocery store (a typical 'good' buffalo sauce IMO) and a table spoon had an incredible amount of fat in it.  Enough to make me put down the jar and not buy it, even though I wanted to.  Didn't think to look at the ingredients.

The only good substitute I've found here so far is called 'reggae reggae' (flavor) sauce, nice flavor (jerkish) and substantial heat.  A little too sweet, but alright.

ETA:  ...based on the opinion/experience of a person raised on BW3 wing sauce...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:07:20 PM by hollyberry »
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2009, 04:04:45 PM »
I get flavoured coffee from Jacc's coffee because they are the only ones who do good lavoured decaf for my dh.

http://www.jaccscoffee.co.uk/

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2009, 04:10:49 PM »
I think there is a cream or fat element to buffalo sauce that hot sauce lacks.  If you shake a bottle of hot sauce, it has the consistency of water but good buffalo sauce will have a more custardy consistency.  Buffalo sauce has heat and flavor, whereas hot sauce is really just about heat.

I remember looking at the label of some Hooters wing sauce in a grocery store (a typical 'good' buffalo sauce IMO) and a table spoon had an incredible amount of fat in it.  Enough to make me put down the jar and not buy it, even though I wanted to.  Didn't think to look at the ingredients.

The only good substitute I've found here so far is called 'reggae reggae' (flavor) sauce, nice flavor (jerkish) and substantial heat.  A little too sweet, but alright.

ETA:  ...based on the opinion/experience of a person raised on BW3 wing sauce...

I couldn't imagine a Buffalo sauce with a custardy or creamy element. Yuck! See? Everyone has an opinion! ;)

FWIW, the fat element is the butter. There's a TON of butter in it. Rachel Ray does a pretty decent low fat buffalo chicken sloppy joe recipe that is hardly purist but pretty decent.

http://somewherebetween40and20.blogspot.com/2009/01/rrs-buffalo-chicken-sloppy-joes.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:20:52 PM by balmerhon »

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »
I get flavoured coffee from Jacc's coffee because they are the only ones who do good lavoured decaf for my dh.

http://www.jaccscoffee.co.uk/

Thanks so much for this!! I see flavoured coffees all over the place, but very rarely decaf! And as someone who can't have caffeine and does occasionally like gingerbread coffee, this is fab!!  ;D

(Though I have to say - some of their flavours sound a bit  :-X ... lemon meringue coffee??)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2009, 04:22:33 PM »
Thanks so much for this!! I see flavoured coffees all over the place, but very rarely decaf! And as someone who can't have caffeine and does occasionally like gingerbread coffee, this is fab!!  ;D

(Though I have to say - some of their flavours sound a bit  :-X ... lemon meringue coffee??)

I love the Bounty Island Cream.  It is so good.  I have never used the website, but they were nice when I did some mail order (they were redesigning the site).  Also, they are often at summer fairs in our area and are always really nice. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab