Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK-US food subsitutions and Conversion chart  (Read 52134 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: UK-US food subsitutions and Conversion chart
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
Caryn! Tabasco on Buffalo wings!!  Sacrilege!  Franks or nothing else!  Oh yes and with a ton of butter please.

:)

I like all sorts of wings so really can't complain.  I'm glad they are finally getting Franks in the UK.  :) A lovely lady even brought some back for me :* when I was still there.

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »
:P

LOL!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 2
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
Ive tried just about EVERY american style pickles out there, and for me NOTHING compares with real american dill pickles or dill slices... So I'd rather do without and I do.
I bring back two jars of dill pickle slices every time i visit the US .. Yea they do go rather quickly  ;D

Just my opinion others may vary  ;)

I totally agree  ;) Dh even knows this so 1 year he bought me some Valasic Dill pickles off an import site for our Anniversary I have such a sweet & wonderful hubby!!  [smiley=love.gif]

I think you need to buy polish pickles to approximate what we get for dill pickles in america.

I don't like all the spices & bits of stuff the Polish pickles have in the jars but that's just me.  ;)  ;D

• Liked: 1
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »
I'm lucky... I loved the little cornichons when I was living as a kid in Spain so I  just used those....

I realized a few weeks ago when I offered one to a friend here in the USA just how tart those little suckers can be!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 0
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2009, 04:37:38 AM »
Someone mentioned Bleu Cheese to go with the wings- and if I can insert my 2p I *ahem* came up with a fabulous recipe while in the UK.  I think it's better than the Bob's Big Boy brand- but probably because English cheese kicks the a** of the cheese you get most places here in the US. 

I just took a jar and threw in according to your personal taste ratio- Bleu Cheese, a bit of garlic, mayo, sour cream, and milk to thin it out a bit.  I also put in a bunch of black pepper and a squeeze of lemon.  Voila- instant deliciousness. 
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• Liked: 0
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »
I googled Buffalo Wing Sauce and was able to find some. Right now I have Sweet Baby Ray's from home! I make the best Buffalo Chicken Wraps that I thought of from eating at a local restaurant back home! mmm.....
Thanks for the flavoured coffee info! I will look into ordering for that website. 2.99 seems cheap! Is it a really small bag of coffee?
Ya, I think I will have to let go of the whole pickle craving. I will just bring over a jar next time.
Follow your bliss.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 12:38:40 PM »
I bought a bottle of Discovery "Tangy Fajita Table Sauce" at Sainsburys and it is as close as I have found to Taco Bell Fire Sauce. It isn't by any means Taco Bell Fire Sauce as it has a bit of a funny wang to it. But if you are desperate...

This is not an endorsement of Discovery products in general. The refried beans, for instance, need a warning label....the plastic bottles of soured cream and quac are a horror of food science gone wrong.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab