Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: They don't actually know how to queue!  (Read 898 times)

• Liked: 1891
They don't actually know how to queue!
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »

At Waterloo station there's a line of about 8 self-serve ticket machines.  When it's busy, a line usually forms in front of each machine.  The other day, there was a person at each machine, but only 7 of the 8 actually had a line, one had nobody waiting.  I'm always extra careful to do what's right in these queue related situations, so I'm looking carefully, trying to figure out what to do. 

The I spot Jeramiah Jobsworth , standing in between two machines.  He was trying to start his own little mini "single line that feeds multiple machines" by standing in the middle.  I could see he thought that he was going to use whichever of the two nearby machines was finished first, and I should stand behind him, and go after him no matter what.  I laugh to myself and go over and stand next to him, prompting a lot of stink eye and much tutting. Finally, I turn and ask him in my best passive aggressive American accent "Which line are you in?" I knew that was going to make him lose it, and he started lecturing me on how his queuing system was the best and every Englishman would agree....  Obviously not, as the "one line, one machine" system had been overwhelmingly adopted in front of every other machine.

Made me think that British people actually are really crappy at queueing, contrary to the myth.  They all individually think they know the rules, but they are all subtly different to each other.  Just like they all think they know what "British Values" are, while completely ignoring the fact that the dark skinned Muslim family down the street has a completely different idea of "British Values", and most likely a different idea of how to stand in line. 

If they do vote to leave the EU based on the spurious idea that then everyone will queue correctly, they are in for a big disappointment.  Nigel Farage's family is still going to be part German, so there goes a common idea of British values down the plughole as well.

That's my rant done.

Sent   using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
Re: They don't actually know how to queue!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:46:34 PM »
I find bus stops reveal a flaw in the queue system.....especially if there is seating at the stop.

Too, in the supermarket when a new aisle opens....gangway!!

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 02:50:33 PM »
Its quite common to start one line and go to the next available machine, saves waiting behind that person who doesn't know how to use one!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »
Its quite common to start one line and go to the next available machine

Certainly, but shouldn't that have been done as soon all the machines were occupied by a user? Once queues formed at multiple machines, then what is the point of trying to consolidate?

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 04:03:16 PM »
I'm fine with the idea of one line for all the machines.  Or one queue for all the cashiers, but it's either / or.  Pick a way and stick with it.  No, you can't switch to another way on your portion of the line for your benefit and then pretend it's ok cause you are British

Sent   using Tapatalk

• Liked: 47
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 06:18:17 PM »
I have the same experience almost daily at the little waitress in Cardiff. They have 2 queues. One for self serve and one for counter. All clearly signposted. And yet every time I go in there there is a huge queue in the self serve area with no one even using the self serve machines.

I just internally scream the entire time I'm in there. I always end up brushing past the queue and flashing back dirty looks at everyone blocking the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab