Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A small vent, but annoying nonetheless  (Read 2987 times)

• Liked: 5
A small vent, but annoying nonetheless
« on: April 04, 2016, 02:36:12 AM »
I am visiting my fiance in the UK at the moment and had a negative experience with another expat. We were out with a group and I was asked some questions about the U.S. I made a fairly benign statement on the same level as "It's common in the U.S. to eat turkey on Thanksgiving." Maybe not everyone does it, but it's generally accepted as the done thing, and can easily be verified with a half second google search. In this case, it's the opposite of the UK approach (they eat turkey on Christmas). But as long as you are following the right social norms in the right culture, everything is fine. The other American reacted very strangely and essentially accused me of representing Americans poorly. It was bizarre because this was not a hot button topic at all.

It was almost like this person was afraid of being associated with any aspects of American culture that differed from English culture. Has anyone here come across anything like this?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:40:29 AM by NewMeetsOldEngland »

• Liked: 533
Re: A small vent, but annoying nonetheless
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:30:37 AM »
Has anyone here come across anything like this?

I am fascinated by the way US expats react to other US expats....it's a thing.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »
Totally.  I'm the girl that hears an American accent and will immediately speak to them.  In my fantasy world, the person turns around and give me a high five!

There are two types of expats.  Those who are happy to meet another expat and are always up for having another friend.  And those who like to think they are the ONLY ONE who can experience their life.  Hee hee, see how I did the stereotyping.  I'm sure there are more than 2 types.  But still.  Most fall into one category or the other.  :P

I also roll my eyes when a non-American who has been on a single holiday to the US (usually to one place such as NYC or Vegas), feels they have a qualified opinion of all of America.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »

Strangely, I am in the 'run a mile when you hear an American accent' camp. I do have something about Americans who have just moved over - not about presenting America badly, but just being a bit annoying by their ignorance of life here. I tend to get a bit defensive of Britain!

And American tourist?! AHHHHH!!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »
I'm the girl that hears an American accent and will immediately speak to them. 

I don't really speak that much any more to Americans. Mainly because of some awkward encounters with Canadians.

This is an absolutely true story....I was at a bus stop and there was this person there.....to me obviously American....and a bunch of other people waiting around. So I said, "Are you American?" And she says, very flatly, "No, Canadian."

I think it would would have been OK had I just stopped there...but I said, and I don't know why, "Lot of grizzly bears up there, huh....and salmon.."

She just turned and walked down and waited as far away from me as she could get. It was about another ten minutes before the bus arrived.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
Strangely, I am in the 'run a mile when you hear an American accent' camp. I do have something about Americans who have just moved over - not about presenting America badly, but just being a bit annoying by their ignorance of life here. I tend to get a bit defensive of Britain!

And American tourist?! AHHHHH!!

I'm in this club. Americans?! Reverse!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
I would probably feel differently if I lived in an area that had any American tourists.  :P

• Liked: 18
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
Hi I'm the girl that moved here with a giant F150 FX4 with a lift kit (well, it's my English husband's favorite possession and there was no talking him out of shipping it).  We get all manner of reactions in public. I love the people who turn around and laugh in a reverse form of snobbery (not understanding the irony in what obnoxious people they actually are by being rude and laughing and pointing at how obnoxious we are because of a vehicle that happens to be ubiquitous somewhere else). On the other hand, some people ask if we'd ever sell it and absolutely love it.  In fact, I can guess there are some people here reading this that are judging the crap out of us this very moment...guess what I'm here to say...if you're judging something that represents where you came from because of changing where you've moved as if you're better than us, if you're reacting like a jerk to show your new British friends you're a respectable expat and this other American doesn't belong...then you need to examine yourself.  I mind my own business and respect your business, I don't get in anyone's face, and I'm certainly not loud.  The global village is getting bigger and letting insular ignorant people define how you feel is a sad state of affairs.   This place is teaching me to appreciate that I'm not an a**hole.  I can't imagine making fun of someone because they have an object or God forbid say something that highlights not belonging.  How ridiculous!  I've never been one to conform and people that insist on flinging their insecurities in my face and projecting their problems are not my problem.  Incidentally, along the lines of this topic, my husband while in America with many British expats experienced this same exact behavior.  He would get criticized for how he was pronouncing things more American, and all manner of unspoken rules and codes that he broke.  My point is I think we are all alike the world over.  There are some people that just need to feel special I guess.

Sorry for the rant, my patience in these silly negative things has worn thin.  I'd high five any damn one of you of you wanted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
American married to British Citizen, living in Colorado.  Moving to Hampshire/Berkshire area.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »
I feel like I've come across two kinds of expats in my travels. This isn't the person I was describing in my original post, but I have a family member who is also living in the UK. She is not shy about telling people that America 'has no culture' and that whatever other country we're discussing is so much more sophisticated. Then there is the category that I like to think I fit in to, where you are proud of where you come from, but also capable of appreciating the UK and adapting to the rules here. I suppose there's a third type: those who are oblivious and insist on living by their cultural norms even when they're somewhere else, but I think they don't tend to be expats for very long. You're more likely to see them doing a semester abroad or something.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 01:53:23 PM »
If I saw you driving around in a massive pick up truck with a lift kit, I would be embarrassed and wonder why you would bring such a monstrosity over here.  After you gave me a high five,  I'd be wanting to drive it and shout "Yoooooooo" out the window.  I could even bring my own Lynrd Skynrd tape.

Sent   using Tapatalk

A small vent, but annoying nonetheless
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »
If I saw you driving around in a massive pick up truck with a lift kit, I would be embarrassed and wonder why you would bring such a monstrosity over here.  After you gave me a high five,  I'd be wanting to drive it and shout "Yoooooooo" out the window.  I could even bring my own Lynrd Skynrd tape.

Sent   using Tapatalk

Ha! My husband (again the English one) says it's the most favorite thing he's ever driven.  He saved a nest egg for quite some time for something special...and that was it for him.  His British expat counterparts were asking him why on earth he would want to bring it home.  His answer:  because I can.  That's why I love him.  I have to say, it's a blast down any road here.  You can see over the hedges even.  I SO SO badly want the horn to play "Dixie" because, even though I'm not southern, that is just funny.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:26:49 PM by Persephone »
American married to British Citizen, living in Colorado.  Moving to Hampshire/Berkshire area.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »
Listen, it won't be long until one of those laughers rings up and says, "Persephone, hate to ask.....but we're moving house Saturday....and we were wondering if perhaps...."

Or better yet you see somebody stuck in a culvert and you can roar up in front of them....mosey back, and say the time-honoured southernism, "Looks like you're stuck, son...."

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »
And if somebody is stuck....you have to take your time about pulling them out. Walk around and look at it. "Hotdam, you dug it right on in there didn't you? Let me see if I got my tow rope...."

"Japanese ain't it? Get good mileage I hear."

"Hell, son....you've gone and got mud all over your tenny shoes hadn't you?"

/been pulled out before

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 02:39:48 PM »
NewMeetsOldEngland, sounds like you got it all figured out then. :)

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
SoS, so very true...as you may have noticed most English people trying to speak American do pretty decent Southern accents. I think I may give my husband these pointers.  When it's all said and done go full "cockney".  Hahaha!

Sponsored Links