Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A small vent, but annoying nonetheless  (Read 2961 times)

• Liked: 13
Re: A small vent, but annoying nonetheless
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 07:50:29 PM »
I'd probably be a high-fiver... haven't actually met any Americans just out and about yet though. (But you know, I just got here a few months ago).
Spouse Visa Granted: 20 January 2016 - Arrived in UK: 27 February 2016 - FLR(M) Granted: 12 November 2018 - LiTUK Test Passed: 6 March 2021 - ILR Application Submitted: 13 March 2021 - Biometrics: 10 April 2021 - ILR Approved 25 August 2021 - UK Citizenship Application Submitted: 20 September 2021 - Biometrics: 12 October 2021 - Email Invite to Citizenship Ceremony: 15 November 2021

• Liked: 1260
Re: A small vent, but annoying nonetheless
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »

It depends on the situation to be honest. I wouldn't say I run a mile but sometimes I get a bit cringey when I hear tourists - which I'm sure is probably my own insecurity because of how many times i hear "how loud Americans are" and how "overly friendly" they are to strangers, etc. I then get super self-conscious [again, my own problem haha] and feel like I have to talk extra quiet haha.

I won't necessarily go out of my way to speak to somebody specifically because of their accent [some times I don't even notice it! lol] and I wouldn't give an American extra attention, but I wouldn't really try to make them feel awkward. It probably happens more times that I see a person wearing a hockey team from my hometown or something and I think "OH I WANT TO GO TALK TO THEM!" because it's the last thing I'd expect to see and I get excited! haha.

I have to admit though, there have been some cases where I've met other Americans that have represented the whole of the US in the way their specific state has been run. The absolute worse of the worse, however, is the British people I come across that paints all of America with the same brush! There are different areas of the US! Not all areas are the same! It's really funny because there are some times when I feel the need to defend England and other times where I'm quick to jump in and defend my hometown area! Really depends what's being said and who is saying it  ;)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab