Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UKM and US Biometric woes  (Read 3051 times)

• Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
    • Wandering the Numinous Wilds
  • Liked: 0
UKM and US Biometric woes
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »
I sent in my documents and application for UKM and a got letter back basically saying that it would probably not be processed in the usual six months because of a delay in biometrics. I know the US hasn't gotten it together with regard to the US/UK biometrics even though it was supposed to be ready last May but does anyone know if it's still possible to go to Canada and get it done? I read on another forum that someone heard it was no longer possible but they weren't sure. Or is it possible to to the UK on a visitors visa and get the biometrics done there and hope the application gets processed within the six months of the visa or is that a really bad idea, I know for spousal visas and such that is a big no no, I kind of assume it is in this case as well but I thought I'd ask. I have a pretty certain potential job opportunity that would start next autumn but I don't think I will get my citizenship in time.  :(

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative!  :)

Re: UKM and US Biometric woes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:38 PM »
I sent in my documents and application for UKM and a got letter back basically saying that it would probably not be processed in the usual six months because of a delay in biometrics. I know the US hasn't gotten it together with regard to the US/UK biometrics even though it was supposed to be ready last May but does anyone know if it's still possible to go to Canada and get it done? I read on another forum that someone heard it was no longer possible but they weren't sure. Or is it possible to to the UK on a visitors visa and get the biometrics done there and hope the application gets processed within the six months of the visa or is that a really bad idea, I know for spousal visas and such that is a big no no, I kind of assume it is in this case as well but I thought I'd ask. I have a pretty certain potential job opportunity that would start next autumn but I don't think I will get my citizenship in time.  :(

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative!  :)

Caroline

First of all, congratulations! You actually got a reply from HO. Most of us, do not receive any acknowledgement at all.

Secondly, from various forums I have been told that applying from the US can take up to one year.

Thirdly, biometrics for an US submitted UKM application can be completed in the UK (reference below). So, given that this is possible, and that I already had a trip planned, I am taking this route. I have just sent the email and I will post any results. Hopefully, this proves successful as I am already at the 5 month mark and have heard nothing thus far :(

Hubby applied via UKM form back in September 2015 while in the US.
The fee was taken September 11, but we never received acknowledgement for anything.
We waited and decided to try to come to the UK and finish the citizenship process at the beginning of March. We arrived the 3rd of March, sent an email requesting to do biometrics on the 9th and received a letter from HO on the 12th and did biometrics on the 14th...
Dual Citizen: US / UK
Dual Resident: US (New England) / UK (Scotland)

UKM application: 2015/17/12 (British Citizenship by Descent)
no email acknowledgement
no response via phone
emailed request to do biometrics in the UK instead: 2016/15/05
biometrics enrollment invitation: 2016/21/05
Biometrics: Truro 2016/26/05
Approved: 2016/15/06
Oath: 2016/28/07

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:01:07 AM »
Thanks for replying! Do you know if Cloverbea's husband went into the uk on a spouse visa or a visitors visa? What will you be traveling there with? I think I will email the HO and ask if I can do it in Toronto or if I can come to the UK to finish then stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 08:04:47 PM »
Do you know if Cloverbea's husband went into the uk on a spouse visa or a visitors visa? What will you be traveling there with?

I am traveling on a tourist visa however, I imagine that her husband entered with another type as they were staying for six months. FYI - as of today, I have no response from HO but from their experience, that is the norm and if my request is successful, I will only receive an enrollment invitation in the mail at my UK address.
Dual Citizen: US / UK
Dual Resident: US (New England) / UK (Scotland)

UKM application: 2015/17/12 (British Citizenship by Descent)
no email acknowledgement
no response via phone
emailed request to do biometrics in the UK instead: 2016/15/05
biometrics enrollment invitation: 2016/21/05
Biometrics: Truro 2016/26/05
Approved: 2016/15/06
Oath: 2016/28/07

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 08:17:33 PM »
I am traveling on a tourist visa however, I imagine that her husband entered with another type as they were staying for six months.

As far as I know, they entered on visitor visas (staying 5-6 months), as they were planning to go on holiday in England, and also see if they could get his biometrics done while they were there.

There was no other visa they could have come over on, since the only person in the family who qualifies for UK citizenship is the husband, who was applying for citizenship on form UKM, and work/student visas wouldn't have been an option for a 6-month visit.

Once they had his UK citizenship, they were planning to apply for spousal/child dependent visas to move to the UK.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
I am traveling on a tourist visa however, I imagine that her husband entered with another type as they were staying for six months. FYI - as of today, I have no response from HO but from their experience, that is the norm and if my request is successful, I will only receive an enrollment invitation in the mail at my UK address.

So they will let you stay until the process is complete? What if it takes longer than the visitors visa?

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
As far as I know, they entered on visitor visas (staying 5-6 months), as they were planning to go on holiday in England, and also see if they could get his biometrics done while they were there.

There was no other visa they could have come over on, since the only person in the family who qualifies for UK citizenship is the husband, who was applying for citizenship on form UKM, and work/student visas wouldn't have been an option for a 6-month visit.

Once they had his UK citizenship, they were planning to apply for spousal/child dependent visas to move to the UK.

Did they stay in the UK or did they have to fly back to the us first?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
Did they stay in the UK or did they have to fly back to the us first?

They would have needed to return to the US to apply for the visas. Those who enter the UK on a visitor visa, are not allowed to switch (apply in country).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:48:09 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 07:46:58 PM »
They would have needed to return to the US to apply for the visas. Those who enter the UK on a visitor visa, are not allowed to switch (apply in country).

If it had just been him by himself would he still have to leave and come back?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »

If it had just been him by himself would he still have to leave and come back?

Not if he is already a British citizen.

British citizens don't need to do biometrics to live in the UK. It was his family that were going to do their biometrics in the UK while on holiday, then return home to apply for their visas.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:56:23 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »

British citizens don't need to do biometrics to live in the UK. It was his family that were going to do their biometrics in the UK, then return home to apply for their visas.
Oh I thought he was getting his biometrics for his UKM citizenship so at the time of arrival he would not have been a citizen.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 08:01:34 PM »
Oh I thought he was getting his biometrics for his UKM citizenship so at the time of arrival he would not have been a citizen.

Yes, he was.

British citizens don't need to do biometrics to live in the UK. It was his family that were going to do their biometrics in the UK while on holiday, then return home to apply for their visas.

The family were not doing biometrics as far as I am aware, since the biometrics for visas can be done in the US with no issues.

The family were just visiting the UK and while they were there, the husband, who is not yet a UK citizen, was going to do biometrics for his UKM citizenship registration application since there is no means of giving biometrics for citizenship in the US yet.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
I emailed and asked about doing my biometrics in Canada a few days ago and I just got an email back with my biometrics enrollment letter for the United States! Huzzah! I'm very relieved and hopefully this is good news for anyone else stuck in this situation!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 12:04:14 AM »
I emailed and asked about doing my biometrics in Canada a few days ago and I just got an email back with my biometrics enrollment letter for the United States! Huzzah! I'm very relieved and hopefully this is good news for anyone else stuck in this situation!

Congrats, Caroline!

Good to know there's hope for others awaiting biometrics in the US for citizenship. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 2
  • Location: North Carolina on my way to Chipping Norton 3/16!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »
Hi all!!
Ok so to answer a few questions (thanks ksand for remembering most of our details :) )
So.. We came to the UK to hopefully do Hubby's biometrics finish up his bid for citizenship via UKM. After a week here we had his invitation to do biometrics in Oxford. That was done on March 14. I emailed immigration only once a month as I didn't want to be forceful and rude, but I did let them know that we were trying to finish the process before we have to "go back" to the states the first week of August. May 27 my husband got an email asking him to call the office where they then confirmed he wanted to change his ceremony location from Atlanta to Oxford that he wanted to have his documents sent back to us here in the UK. We said yes of course and she then said it all looked good that he'll get his ceremony invitation letter in the next couple of weeks, but probably sooner :) So three months here and the process is almost over....
We are actually not going back to the states, as soon as this is over we're heading to Ireland to exercise Hubby's treaty rights :) Is that it? I can't remember.... But on a side note, according to passport advice hubby was eligible for a passport and that process is already finishing up as well, we're just waiting for that to arrive :)
I am a North Carolina girl born and raised, yes I love sweet iced tea, Texas Pete and biscuits and gravy....but England is where my soul feels at peace and I can't wait to get there.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab