Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What to bring to uk?  (Read 814 times)

• Liked: 0
What to bring to uk?
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:17:05 AM »
Advice on paperwork to bring? Packing methods?

Any easier method than hifx to transfer funds? Any banks with us and uk locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
Re: What to bring to uk?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:02:40 AM »
I only brought essential paperwork, such as birth certificate, tax returns, jewellery valuations, etc.  Just a small folder.

There are many ways to transfer money.  The best option depends on how much you are transferring.  It's a great time to be covering $ to £!

You may find you'll need to bank where you are able to open an account.  Opening a bank account in the UK is not always very easy.  I now bank with Barclays and I can withdrawal cash at Bank of America in the US without fees.  I initially was with Lloyds as they would allow me to open an account.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »

You may find you'll need to bank where you are able to open an account.  Opening a bank account in the UK is not always very easy.  I now bank with Barclays and I can withdrawal cash at Bank of America in the US without fees.  I initially was with Lloyds as they would allow me to open an account.

Why is it difficult to open an account?

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »
As you have a partner, it won't be so bad.  But it's seriously the worst initiation into life in the UK.

You'll need proof of address before you can open an account.  If you do not have a partner (I was on a work visa), you cannot get a lease without a bank account.  But you can't get a bank account without an address.  It's a vicious circle.

Your bank may allow you to open an account with your husband.  Some people have had trouble even doing this as they don't have UK credit.  Honestly, it can be a very frustrating process.  Hopefully you will have no problem at all!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:52:39 AM »
As you have a partner, it won't be so bad.  But it's seriously the worst initiation into life in the UK.

You'll need proof of address before you can open an account.  If you do not have a partner (I was on a work visa), you cannot get a lease without a bank account.  But you can't get a bank account without an address.  It's a vicious circle.

Your bank may allow you to open an account with your husband.  Some people have had trouble even doing this as they don't have UK credit.  Honestly, it can be a very frustrating process.  Hopefully you will have no problem at all!

FATCA won't have helped matters either.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »

Oh yikes... Yes we have a lease already, but UK credit might be an issue.

Is getting a phone an issue too?

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »

Unfortunately, you'll be starting from scratch to build credit as your US credit won't transfer here.

You may not able to get a phone contract if you have no credit yet, so you might have to start off with a Pay As You Go phone until you've built up some UK credit.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »

Before I moved here, DH (UKC) ordered me a new sim and put me on his plan. We'd bought our phones elsewhere.

If you're looking to be on a plan under your own name, it might not be as easy since you have no UK credit history yet.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »
I went about two months without a phone here, as I first had to get through the obstacle of no bank account.  Then I had to get through the obstacle of no credit for a phone.

I was eventually able to find that Three would allow me a SIM-only contract because I had a bank account.

Again, this will all be MUCH easier for you as your husband is British and (I assume) has established credit.

Things have progressed and I've even been able to secure a mortgage!

• Liked: 82
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 05:28:29 PM »
I tried to get a phone and was told I needed to be here 3 years before it could go in my name. So it is on my husband account.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 47
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
I got a sim only 1 year contract with no issues from 3 in my first month here.

April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

Sponsored Links