Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Passport Renewal due to name change  (Read 1458 times)

• Hello, Cheerio -- Life is about going that extra mile, for love.
  • Liked: 0
US Passport Renewal due to name change
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »
Hi All,

I have a couple (or few) questions about renewing my US Passport due to finally getting around to changing my surname after marriage. Before I ask those questions, I'll preface by saying I do have an appointment at the US Embassy in London in two weeks time.

Okay, so on to my questions:

1. Where in the world do I get a photo for the passport papers? Everything I read online states that the machines at Tesco and all other sorts like those are not going to be good enough so does anyone know where I could go to have my photo taken? Is there one at the embassy?

2. I came over in 2014 on a Fiancé Visa, will I need to do anything special for my Passport so that the fiancé visa remains in my new passport? 

3. Other than pretty much all identification I own, as well as bringing along my marriage license and the passport renewal application, is there anything else I need to bring along to the appointment at the embassy?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Signed,
Dazed and Confused
Jeana

Met online via LiveJournal, May 2012
Became a couple, August 2012
Met in London, February 2013
Met three more times in 2013
Decided to move to England, August 2013
Hired Immigration Lawyer, Sept 2013
Began Immigration Process, Sept 2013
Submitted Fiance Visa App, March 2014
Received Visa Approval, May 2014
Moved from USA to England, June 2014
Married my Brit, Sept 2014
FLR(M) Application Began Sept 2014
FLR(M) Application 2014 = Success!
Celebrated 1yr Wedding Anniversary Sept 2015
Passed UK Driving Test Oct 2015
Next FLR(M) = in process

• Liked: 4985
Re: US Passport Renewal due to name change
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
You can get a passport photo most anywhere, including doing them yourself online at passpic.co.uk (that way you can pick one you like).   ;)  I usually go to Snappy Snaps.  But any of the supermarkets have the booths, and yes they have a booth at the embassy. 

The fiancé visa will not be in your new passport.  I imagine you now have a BRP card?  That is what you'll need to get updated.  When do you apply for your next FLR(M)?  If it's less than 90 days until you renew and you do not need to travel in that time, you can wait until you submit your application.  Otherwise it will cost £223, which takes two or three months to receive by post.  Or for £500 you can do a same day appointment and receive the new BRP in about 2 business days.

Is there a reason you are doing the name change at the embassy?  I did my by post, which was definitely easier.  You just need your passport, the form, photo, the fee, and your marriage license. 

• Hello, Cheerio -- Life is about going that extra mile, for love.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »
Are the sizes of the supermarket photos the same as what is needed for the application? I read that UK sizes are different than US sizes requirements for passport photos that's why I had become a bit concerned.

I was told that I needed to get my Passport changed within three months from having my stateside Social Security updated and that once my Passport was updated I could then update my BRP card. We did my first FLR(M) in Sept 2014, so I believe I have to renew that start of next year?

As for the doing the renewal at the embassy, I just assumed it would be a bit safer than posting all my documents and we travel in September; I wasn't sure how long it would take to get everything back by post.

The entire process just confuses me.
Jeana

Met online via LiveJournal, May 2012
Became a couple, August 2012
Met in London, February 2013
Met three more times in 2013
Decided to move to England, August 2013
Hired Immigration Lawyer, Sept 2013
Began Immigration Process, Sept 2013
Submitted Fiance Visa App, March 2014
Received Visa Approval, May 2014
Moved from USA to England, June 2014
Married my Brit, Sept 2014
FLR(M) Application Began Sept 2014
FLR(M) Application 2014 = Success!
Celebrated 1yr Wedding Anniversary Sept 2015
Passed UK Driving Test Oct 2015
Next FLR(M) = in process

• Liked: 20
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »
I have no idea about anything about name changes, but most of the photobooth machines around here (I'm in Bedford); have a sticker that says they do sizes approved for U.K., U.S. and India.  I've used these in the past without issue. I've also made my own and printed on photopaper (for my kids) which was also fine. Just use the templates you can find online.

And yes, if you're going to the embassy in London they have a machine as well.  When I went last time, they had a sign that said you can smile in your U.S. photo, which made me, um smile!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »
I was told that I needed to get my Passport changed within three months from having my stateside Social Security updated and that once my Passport was updated I could then update my BRP card. We did my first FLR(M) in Sept 2014, so I believe I have to renew that start of next year?

Have you already changed your name on your SS card?

If not, it would make things much easier for you, because then you won't need to change your name on your US passport yet, which also means you won't need to change your name on your BRP yet either.

If your FLR(M) was issued in September 2014, then it will expire in March 2017... and you cannot apply for the next visa until 28 days before the expiry date... so presumably sometime in February 2017.

If you change your name on your passport now, then you are legally required to change your name on your BRP within 3 months... or you can be fined £1,000 and they may cancel your visa.

However, if you were to wait until November 2016 to change your passport, you would not need to change the BRP because you would be applying for a new FLR(M) within 3 months.

But, this is all dependent on you not having changed your name on your SS card yet.

If you haven't changed your name on the SS card yet:
- change name on passport in November/December 2016, takes about 4 weeks, cost $110 by mail
- don't change BRP, cost $ 0
- apply for FLR(M), cost £1,311
- change name on SS card, $0

Total cost =
$110 for the passport renewal by mail
£1,311 FLR(M) visa fee

If you have changed your name on the SS card:
- change name on passport now, cost $110 by mail
- change name on BRP card, cost £223 by post, takes 2-3 months (must send off passport and BRP) or £223 + £500 = £723 in person for a same-day decision
- apply for FLR(M), cost £1,311

Total cost =
$110 for the passport renewal
£223 or £723 for the BRP
£1,311 FLR(M) visa fee

As for the doing the renewal at the embassy, I just assumed it would be a bit safer than posting all my documents and we travel in September; I wasn't sure how long it would take to get everything back by post.

The entire process just confuses me.

I wasn't aware you could attend an in-person appointment unless you weren't eligible to apply by mail (which would only be if you are under 16 or your passport was issued more than 15 years ago).

The US Embassy FAQs state that you should not submit your application in person unless you are required to, because appointments are limited and reserved for those won't can't mail it:

Do I have to submit my passport application by courier?

If you are eligible to apply for the passport renewal by courier, you should use this service.  Appointments are limited and are reserved for those who are required to apply in person. Please see the instructions for your specific passport service for more information.

Also, the appointment is just to submit the documents in person instead of by courier - the passport is not processed or issued in London and you won't get it that day... it has to be mailed to the US by the embassy for processing, which can take up to 4 weeks

- In order to apply by mail, you mail the passport application to the US Embassy in London using a registered courier (DX), they mail it to the US for you, then they receive it back from the US and mail it back to you by registered courier (DX). It costs $110 and takes about 4 weeks.

- If you apply in person, you submit the documents in person, then they mail it to the US for you, then they receive it back from the US and mail it back to you. It costs $135 and takes about 4 weeks.

If it were me, I would just apply by mail - it still takes the same amount of time to be processed and it seems much easier than having to attend an appointment in London first... because you'll have to pay to travel to London, and possibly stay overnight, plus pay extra to attend the appointment, plus you could end up sitting in the embassy for hours waiting to be called up... and it will still be 4 weeks before you get your passport.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
I would DEFINITELY wait to change your passport.  Not worth the extra expense for having to change your BRP.

I have not heard that if you change your name on your social security card you must update your passport.  I've looked all through the travel.state.gov site and cannot see that listed anywhere...  https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/FAQs.html

You have two options:
Change name on US passport now:
New passport - 4 weeks by post
New BRP - 2/3 months by post
or New BRP - £500 and 2 days

OR

Change name around Christmas on US passport
Apply for FLR(M) in February/March 2017 and use new name on application

Either one will work and both are valid options.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 09:36:12 AM »
Ah, yes, my advice above was based on if you do have to change your passport after you have changed your SS card, although as KFDancer said, I can't see anything on the US government webpages that says you must change your name on your passport too.

If it's the case that you don't need to change your name on your US passport after changing the SS card, then I would just wait a few months and change it closer to your FLR(M) expiry date... that will save you either £223 or £723 in BRP fees.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
If you have been using your married name, i.e. for work (HMRC), banking, driving licence etc, then you must apply for a new BRP within 3 months as you can only have one legal name.

Changes to your name or personal details

You must apply for a new BRP straight away if any of these things change:

name, eg if you’ve got married
    nationality
    facial appearance
    date of birth, eg if it was wrong
How you report the change and apply for a new BRP depends on whether you have:

permission to stay in the UK temporarily (‘leave to remain’)
    permission to settle in the UK (‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You must apply for a new BRP within 3 months. You can be fined up to £1,000 or have your stay shortened if you don’t.

https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:53:22 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »
Ah, yes, my advice above was based on if you do have to change your passport after you have changed your SS card, although as KFDancer said, I can't see anything on the US government webpages that says you must change your name on your passport too.

If it's the case that you don't need to change your name on your US passport after changing the SS card, then I would just wait a few months and change it closer to your FLR(M) expiry date... that will save you either £223 or £723 in BRP fees.

I changed my name on SS before I moved to England, my passport is still in my maiden name.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 10:02:53 AM »
If you have been using your married name, i.e. for work (HMRC), banking, driving licence etc, then you must apply for a new BRP within 3 months as you can only have one legal name.

Changes to your name or personal details

You must apply for a new BRP straight away if any of these things change:

name, eg if you’ve got married
    nationality
    facial appearance
    date of birth, eg if it was wrong
How you report the change and apply for a new BRP depends on whether you have:

permission to stay in the UK temporarily (‘leave to remain’)
    permission to settle in the UK (‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You must apply for a new BRP within 3 months. You can be fined up to £1,000 or have your stay shortened if you don’t.

My passport is in my maiden name but everything else is in my married name, my driving licence, my national insurance number, my bank account, even my job was in my married name.

There was no need for me to apply for a new biometric permit as none of those things listed applied to me.

I need to apply for a new US passport soon so will change my name then.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:04:02 AM by Shandy »

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »

You only need to change the BRP if you change your name in your passport ... because the name in your passport MUST match the name on your BRP.

So, if you've been using your married name for work, banking etc., but you have not changed your name in your passport, then you cannot change your name on your BRP because the names won't match anymore.

So, if you keep your maiden name on your passport, there is no requirement to change the BRP because no passport details have changed.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
You only need to change the BRP if you change your name in your passport ... because the name in your passport MUST match the name on your BRP.

So, if you've been using your married name for work, banking etc., but you have not changed your name in your passport, then you cannot change your name on your BRP because the names won't match anymore.

So, if you keep your maiden name on your passport, there is no requirement to change the BRP because no passport details have changed.

Oh, thank god you posted this ksand. I was just about to have a royal freak out as my driving license and at work are my married name and my passport and all is maiden name.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »

I can understand why someone doesn't want to change their BRP if they travel and haven't changed their passport details yet, but I can't find where they say that is an exception. I have only looked on the government BRP pages.

All I can find is what the government have said under the link I gave above

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:02:07 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:18 AM »
I don't know if it is explicitly mentioned, but it's common sense and determined from experience of dealing with UKVI.

A visa must always be issued in the name on the passport as they must match at all times (hence the 3-month deadline between changing the passport name and changing the BRP).

For example, when you first apply for the visa, they won't issue it in your married name if your passport is still in your maiden name - if you want the visa to be issued in your married name, you must change your passport name first, before applying.

So it follows that you cannot change the name on your BRP if you have not changed the name on your passport... Because they have to issue the BRP in the name on your passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 10:46:08 AM »
So it follows that you cannot change the name on your BRP if you have not changed the name on your passport... Because they have to issue the BRP in the name on your passport.

I was referring to the changes since the BRP was issued, that must be reported by those who reside in the UK on a BRP.

8. Changes to your personal details

You must report any changes to your address, personal details or circumstances if they change at a later date.

This can be that you’ve changed your name, gender or you’ve confirmed a change to your place or date of birth.

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/changes

and this that lists all the changes that must be reported by those who are in the UK and who have got a BRP, or who have applied for a BRP and haven't had a decision yet.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:11:08 AM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab