Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving entire household  (Read 1041 times)

• Liked: 1
Moving entire household
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:43:46 PM »
Hi does anyone have any recommendations around moving 3-4 bedroom house to Glasgow? Container? Do they pack, unpack deliver door to door?

Also ballpark cost and how long? Thanks for any info or sharing any experience...

Best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 63
Re: Moving entire household
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:31:38 AM »
Containers are the cheapest option, and it is door-to-door. BUT - you pack, load and unload. We've done that multiple times, and as long as the load is planned well, it's not that difficult. You have a a specific amount of time to load/unload; time over incurs extra charge, but it's not onerous. A 40' container will typically handle all the 'stuff' in a 3BR house, including personal effects.

The easiest way is to find a shipping agent who will arrange the container. If you are some distance from a container port, the road transport cost can be hefty, but I've seen recent quotes on another site for a near-port location running under $3K. The Fx rate does affect the cost.

You need to pack well, number your boxes, and have a pretty detailed list of what's in each box. Doesn't have to be "12 plates, 4 cups, 3 saucers, 22 forks" detailed, just "assorted dishes and cutlery"; "assorted clothing" - that kind of thing. You need that list for the C-3 custom forms. Time varies with port and container line, but think in the region of 4 to 6 weeks.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
Containers are the cheapest option, and it is door-to-door. BUT - you pack, load and unload. We've done that multiple times, and as long as the load is planned well, it's not that difficult. You have a a specific amount of time to load/unload; time over incurs extra charge, but it's not onerous. A 40' container will typically handle all the 'stuff' in a 3BR house, including personal effects.

The easiest way is to find a shipping agent who will arrange the container. If you are some distance from a container port, the road transport cost can be hefty, but I've seen recent quotes on another site for a near-port location running under $3K. The Fx rate does affect the cost.

You need to pack well, number your boxes, and have a pretty detailed list of what's in each box. Doesn't have to be "12 plates, 4 cups, 3 saucers, 22 forks" detailed, just "assorted dishes and cutlery"; "assorted clothing" - that kind of thing. You need that list for the C-3 custom forms. Time varies with port and container line, but think in the region of 4 to 6 weeks.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »
Thank you so much! I saw similar quotes and thought they were too low! Other than container is there another way? Sounds like you have a lot of experience...we are in Philly area so pretty close to Ports

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 12:44:29 PM »
You don't have to do the packing and unloading - your shipping company can arrange to do this for you if you're prepared to pay the extra.

We've moved internationally several times with the employer paying for the full service as agreed in the relocation package.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »
You can hire a *regular* mover, companies like U-Pack/We Ship and so on, but a DIY container move will be far cheaper.

As long as the container can get to you, loading is really no big deal. If you're paying a firm to do it, expect the costs to go up dramatically. If you are center city, narrow street, limited access it could be more problematic to get the container where you want it, but shipping agents can advise you on this. If you are in suburbia, then usually no big deal.

Being in Philly means a huge savings on the road transport, and significant access to shipping agents. We were also lucky on the last move as we were relatively close to Norfolk VA. Start contacting shipping agents and see what is on offer.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 10:03:26 AM »
Do you have any shipping companies that you can recommend please? I am already in the UK and will be shipping my stuff from the storage unit. I found it difficult to find sites when searching the UK as they seemed to be blocked. ( I tried 2 years ago) I'm ready to ship my things now. $3000 sounds incredibly cheap!! Not sure how practical it is to try and pack it from the storage unit though. I have a 2 bedroom house. Thanks.

Sponsored Links