Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: School for 13 year old  (Read 2164 times)

• Liked: 0
School for 13 year old
« on: May 06, 2016, 01:35:17 AM »
We are moving for husband's job this summer and are trying to figure out where exactly to live. Schools are most important to us, the job is Farnbourough and people at work have suggested Windsor, Ascot, Sunningdale, Farhnam, Fleet. Most worried about my son who is 13 and would be entering the eighth grade this fall. He is a"gifted" kid (label from school) and tests typically 97-99%on standerized tests, qualified for Duke tips based on ACT scores etc. Do comprehensive schools group kids by abilities or is everyone all mixed in? Would trying to get him into a grammar school (if that is even possible at his age) be a better fit? He is finally at the point in school where his all his classmates are on the same pace and he likes school so much more that way. Any advice?

• Liked: 4985
Re: School for 13 year old
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
Welcome!  I'm in Wokingham, which is about 30 minutes from Farnborough.

I can't help with the schooling as my child is only 2.  Will you be in the UK permanently or temporarily?  If it's temporary, (Tier 2 ICT visa), I would personally recommend looking into the American School near Virginia Water.  The UK and US school systems are VERY different and kids should pretty much know what they want to be when they grow up by the age of 14 here.  It's intense!

As you won't be able to apply for a school until you have a place to live, you'll probably have to "take what you get".  The school places are a bizarre almost lottery in the area.  As the good schools will be oversubscribed at this point, you'll likely be allocated a spot in a school that has places, not necessarily the school down the street.

As I said I'm in Wokingham which is a fantastic family friendly area.  I'm about 15 minutes from Ascot.  Which I think is "meh."  I'd live in Sunningdale or Virginia Water instead.  Windsor is a bit too cramped for me and directly under the flight path for Heathrow so not very quiet (but gorgeous).  My inlaws are near Fleet in Church Crookham.  It's very nice but I'm not sure about the schools.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
Check  and see if they even have a grammar school in Hampshire. A quick search on the National Grammar Schools Association website turned up negative results:

http://www.ngsa.org.uk/schools.php

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »
Thanks for the input,I will investigate the American school for sure but the tuition could be tough - we are more middle class/upper middle and worry he would have trouble fitting in with the banker type incomes I would think would be there.

I guess for grammer schools I saw the ones in Slough and thought that distance might work.

Any thoughts on how kids are placed in classes in the comprehensive schools? By apptitude or all mixed up?

Also thanks for the input on the towns, we will also consider Wokingham and Virginia Water. it us so difficult to figure this all out without being able to count on school placements. We are signing on for two years for now but could extend after that. I would hate for him to have to jump around to different schools in those two years (meaning going to less good under subscribed school year one and the getting into better school year two). I alsohave a daughter going into 5th grade but am not so worried for her since those grades are so easy in the US.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 04:27:24 PM »
Slough is not close to Farnborough at all.  You'll have to adapt distances to the UK.  For example, I work 4 miles away from home now and a good day takes about 25 minutes.  My husband works less than two miles away and it takes 20 minutes (we both have to drive each day as I drop our daughter off and he picks up).  Farnborough to Slough would take well over an hour each way.  Honestly, I would just look close to Farnborough and then move further out if you are not happy.  It's a pretty decent area.

The American school will cater for kids who will be moving in and out of the US system, which may fit your son.  His education would be more seamless that way.  There will be a mix of students but yes, most will be expats that are being paid for as a part of the relocation package.  People won't necessarily have money, but they won't be footing the bill directly (in most circumstances).

Hopefully someone who knows how abilities are dealt with will pop up soon.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:27:50 PM »
Ability groups depend on the school. Each will have its own individual policy, which may even vary from department to department.

From about 14, kids can elect to take a range of subjects (though Science, English and Maths are always compulsory). So setting will depend on option blocks. For example, the comprehensive I used to teach at did not set for Science until Year 8 (equivalent to 7th grade). However, Geography classes were never 'set' by ability as it was always a bit pot luck with when kids could fit it into their timetables.

My current school, an all-girls' independent boarding school does not set for Science until Year 9 (8th Grade) and English is never in set ability! Though it really probably could do as we are not selective so we have a HUGE range of academic achievement and aptitudes. Maths is set from Year 7 (6th grade) before the girls ever step foot in the school.

So there is a large difference of opinion in academic research about the affect of setting based on academic achievement or 'ability' and so each school will be a bit of a minefield.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab