Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Most like and most dislike  (Read 2269 times)

• Liked: 6
Most like and most dislike
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »
I was wondering what people from the USA like most about the UK and what you like least?

As a Brit that has just returned, the things I missed the most and like the most about the UK are its countryside, its history and some of its unique festivals such as Guy Fawkes.

I least like the traffic and the high cost of housing in the South East

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Re: Most like and most dislike
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:09:11 PM »
Likes:  the weather, especially in summer (I don't miss the heat and humidity of the East Coast USA AT ALL); the laid-back people; the fact I can enjoy the coast without being boiled alive and sunburned; the way I can walk to a lot of places/the way town centres are built with the shops all together, as I've never driven; the history; (hubby just told me to add: the fact that British men are much better lovers. Bwaaaaa!!); market days...I'm sure there is much more, as I absolutely love it here, but it's late and I'm tired. :D

Dislikes:  lack of proper closets; lack of proper laundry rooms; lack of customer service (and that people don't like to complain even when they are being blatantly ripped off or treated rudely); being grilled at the chemist's counter when other people can hear; the acceptance of open drunkeness at 10 a.m.; the way the cars drive very close to the curb/sidewalk as the roads are so narrow (can't get a 'head start' across the street)  I think that is about it.  :)
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 82
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »
Likes....also the summer. Nyc in the summer was gross. The gorgeous green landscape, the fact that it rains less here than it did in nyc......Yes it may rain a lot....But drizzling is far better than downpours. The fact that it doesn't snow, and when it does it is panic. So comical

Dislikes.....no nyc bagels, no nyc pizza, no digiornos pizza (I really miss them) no tostinos pizza rolls, the fact that crunchy cheetos basically don't exist unless you pay a billion dollars, sugar in pickles.....that is a sin. Oh and  My family doesn't live here

Edit to add the fact that although the brits. *think* they queue well, they don't. The huff and puff when they actually queue and when they don't they push and shove and jump the queue
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:32:53 PM by JennyEye »

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:04:05 AM »
It is funny - I have lived all over the world and things people always miss are the comfort foods they are used to. I know an African guys that miss the steamed bread even though I found it completely flavourless - like eating air.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »
Nyc in the summer was gross.

I like this...simple and succinct.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 68
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 01:58:03 PM »
Likes: The NHS, what a brilliant service! The history of certain areas. Love the city of York. Castles. Football.

Dislikes:  It has to be said but things like the "Tampon tax" and "bedroom.tax" baffle me. I also hate how close the cars seem to get to everything and each other, and a small issue, but I really dislike instant coffee. My mom has had to send me.pack of Dunkin Donuts own brand from back home :-P

• Liked: 111
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »
I'm the USC, my husband is the UKC and we've been discussing this at length because we are returning to the UK when our youngest child finishes high school. This is our list.
The countryside
Sunny days because England is the most beautiful place to be when the sun is shining
The proximity to Europe
Small country
Windy roads
Country pubs
Drinking a pint at lunch time with workmates without judgement
The NHS
The Open University
Nicer cars (he's a big lover of European cars)
Familiarity for both of us (I lived there for over eight years)
Trains
Rugby
Football matches
Generosity for charities and have very open hearts & wallets
The comedy

Dislikes:
People are always complaining
Traffic congestion (and we live in Houston!!)
Bureaucracy
CLASS ENVY
Just as England is the best place to be on a sunny day, it's dreary and horrible when it's raining and in comparison to where we live now, it's always raining
People who keep "banging on" about England winning the World Cup in 1966. "Football's coming home", my ass!

• Liked: 82
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »

I'm the USC, my husband is the UKC and we've been discussing this at length because we are returning to the UK when our youngest child finishes high school. This is our list.
Sunny days because England is the most beautiful place to be when the sun is shining

Dislikes:
People are always complaining

These 2 <3 England truly is spectacular in the sunshine. And I've never met a more moany bunch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 149
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »
I can say the same thing about Washington State ( I grew up W side....small town). Better on the West side (rain) or East side (dry)? Better? Like? No right answer. Kind of like asking if you like vindaloo or....well....anything Thai. I'll take vindaloo any day.
Fred

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
How could you have 2 posts, one about world cup football and one about vindaloo, in a thread concerning 'England' without showing this:

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
How could you have 2 posts, one about world cup football and one about vindaloo, in a thread concerning 'England' without showing this:

That is truly a terrible video :)

The only World Cup song I liked was this one from my first period in the UK.
Fred

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 10:27:43 PM »
Oh Lord, not the one with Gordon John Sinclair!! Lol I hoped to never, ever hear that ever in my life! No matter what, "Vindaloo" sticks with you but "World in Motion" was CLASS!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 06:52:42 AM »
That is truly a terrible video :)

The only World Cup song I liked was this one from my first period in the UK.

GAUN YERSEL!!!  ;)

But what about Scotland's 1998 World Cup song?!

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 08:15:26 AM »
I didn't mind that video.....I hadn't seen it since I was in Germany at that time. But.....it lacks being "quirky". It's actually too good of a video/song, rather than a song you can't stand.....but also can't help but like it.......kind of like the occasional Eurovision songs.
Fred

• Liked: 533
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »
Super Bowl Shuffle?

Well, they call me Sweetness,
And I like to dance.
Runnin' the ball is like makin' romance.
We've had the goal since training camp
To give Chicago a Super Bowl Champ.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab