Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Most like and most dislike  (Read 2271 times)

• Liked: 12
Re: Most like and most dislike
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »
We seem to have digressed ...  don't give a rat's tailbone for football, vindaloo or whatever.

During my first episode of British living (1972-1995), I was delighted to be in a country that reminded me of 1940/50 USA.  There was trash collection (free), milk delivery, rag and bone men, public transportation, grocers, bakers, greengrocers, candlestick makers all just a short walk from home.  The city centre had their own versions of department stores, book shops, a Ceylon Tea Centre, Golden Egg ... I could go on forever.

Now what do we have: more and more supermarkets, bin men come more or less regularly but you're expected to manhandle your wheelie bins back and forth, more and more coffee shops, no milk delivery in our area, post offices and local banks closing down, more and more cars driven by maniacs, local shops consist of estate agents, hair dressers and those coffee shops, and so on ...

Well, at least there are still buses (but British Rail has died)  There are now fresh blueberries and butternut squash in those supermarkets. I can't think of much else positive, except the weather not being too extreme.  Hmmm, but I came back, didn't I.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 149
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »
The shuffle....

Yep, that's so bad it's almost good.
Fred

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »
We seem to have digressed ...  don't give a rat's tailbone for football, vindaloo or whatever.

During my first episode of British living (1972-1995), I was delighted to be in a country that reminded me of 1940/50 USA.  There was trash collection (free), milk delivery, rag and bone men, public transportation, grocers, bakers, greengrocers, candlestick makers all just a short walk from home.  The city centre had their own versions of department stores, book shops, a Ceylon Tea Centre, Golden Egg ... I could go on forever.

Now what do we have: more and more supermarkets, bin men come more or less regularly but you're expected to manhandle your wheelie bins back and forth, more and more coffee shops, no milk delivery in our area, post offices and local banks closing down, more and more cars driven by maniacs, local shops consist of estate agents, hair dressers and those coffee shops, and so on ...

Well, at least there are still buses (but British Rail has died)  There are now fresh blueberries and butternut squash in those supermarkets. I can't think of much else positive, except the weather not being too extreme.  Hmmm, but I came back, didn't I.

Sounds like you got my disease......getting older. Older generation always wants it like it used to be.....younger generation wants things to change.

Fred

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 12:28:20 PM »
Dislikes for me:
Weather - As with everything, it depends on where you hail from.  I grew up in Florida which truly is paradise (Clearwater).  When I go back to visit my parents now I nearly cry with happiness at the sun.  Put me in flip flops and my mood instantly brightens!  I lived in Colorado for many years before moving here and we had 4 genuine seasons.  Each one was spectacular.  After living there, I do not feel like I get 4 seasons in the UK (but understand that for some, we do).  I am surprised at how much the weather can affect my mood.

Work - I have come to the conclusion that employees are not as empowered in the UK as they are in the US.  I'm on the board of my company and I still don't have authority to make changes without approvals.  Very frustrating.

Social life - I have made great friends here who will support me if I'm struggling, so true friends.  But I still don't have as active a social life overall.  I don't know what everyone else is doing on the weekend, but it seems I have to book people in well in advance.  Not so much a "hey, wanna grab dinner" culture.

Family - I miss them.  I have a child now and my inlaws are not a support network for us.  I am very envious of people who have family they can call when needed.  And I hate that my parents are watching my child grow up via Facetime and not in real life.  My inlaws are very nice people, they just aren't overly interested in their grandchildren.

Cost of living - The cost of housing/childcare/transport, etc., it truly remarkable.

Likes for me:

Food - I like the food and feel that things are too salty when I go back to the US now.  Though I do love the food in the US.  I just love food.

Transport - I like that I have train and bus options for getting around and don't have to rely exclusively on a car.  I also love walking from shop to shop in town.  I do NOT like the traffic.  :P

Work - I am climbing higher and higher on my career ladder.  I think that my skills are unique in the UK and I would be "a dime a dozen" in the US.  I don't think my career would have progressed as rapidly at home.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »

Sounds like you got my disease......getting older. Older generation always wants it like it used to be.....younger generation wants things to change.

Yeah, things ain't the same as the good old days in the States either.  But somehow I expected Britain to uphold the standards.   ;D
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 05:12:04 PM »
Things I like (in no particular order):
Amazing scenery, sheep all over the place, the NHS,  beer, the BBC, food, my house in a wee village in the Scottish Highlands, Tesco, pubs, my job,  my allotment, trains, really good pay as you go mobile internet and phones, Freeview, M&S food, lovely friends, brass bands

Things I dislike:The US has so much better/cheaper homebrew equipment and cycle clothing and being so far from family.     
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 08:01:29 AM »

It depends where you live. Where I am, we only have one supermarket in the entire town - a Waitrose, so lots of small independent shops. If I want meat, I go to the butchers, fish the wonderful little fishmongers, bread from the bakers round the corner.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 08:04:03 AM »
Dislikes for me:
Weather - As with everything, it depends on where you hail from.  I grew up in Florida which truly is paradise (Clearwater).  When I go back to visit my parents now I nearly cry with happiness at the sun.  Put me in flip flops and my mood instantly brightens!  I lived in Colorado for many years before moving here and we had 4 genuine seasons.  Each one was spectacular.  After living there, I do not feel like I get 4 seasons in the UK (but understand that for some, we do).  I am surprised at how much the weather can affect my mood.

It is funny how we are all very different with weather. We have just moved from Australia and the one thing I hated was the heat. I have visited Florida and enjoyed it, but couldn't live there because of the heat.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »
I most definitely prefer the weather here!
I come from Southern California, which was too hot for me.  And my parents live in Texas, which is also too hot in summer- even just for a week's visit - and snowy in the winter.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 05:37:54 PM »
And my parents live in Texas, which is also too hot in summer- even just for a week's visit - and snowy in the winter.

Houston, Texas is as hot as I've ever been. Texas heat with Gulf Coast humidity.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 18
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »
Add me to the list of those who don't like it too hot.  Too hot for me is generally anything over 75 degrees Fahrenheit - yes, I'm a heat wuss.  I just returned from visiting my daughter in Sacramento, California which was lovely.  Loads of sunshine, a picture perfect neighborhood, and it still got too hot for me during several days - in April!

I like the weather here, although if it's gray for too many days in a row it is easy to get a bit depressed.  A sunny day in Northeast England is the most glorious spectacle ever - with all those lovely rolling green hills dotted by sheep - and this time of year lambs!

What I really don't like is jet-lag (yes, I know that isn't something specifically British)!  Absolutely hate that feeling of disorientation and clumsiness - heck, I got myself stuck in the bathroom the first night back cause I couldn't find the door, my husband had to rescue me!!  I won't live that one down anytime soon.   ;)

Actually, it's been ever so slightly better this time which I chalk up to all the sunny days since I've returned.   ;D
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »
I like the heat for a couple of months.....then it gets old. Eastern Washington was great for 4 seasons. I spent 5 years in Okinawa.....summers are pretty hard with 90 and humidity......especially when it only gets down to 80 at night.

As far as jet lag. Before I retired I finally figured out a way that worked for me. I bought plenty of sleeping pills like Tylenol PM......then the first 4-5 nights back in the UK I would down 3 or so in the evening. I usually got a decent sleep and then made sure I got back off of them by the end of the week. I hate staying up all night......
Fred

Sponsored Links