Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Health Care  (Read 1648 times)

• Liked: 5
Health Care
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
This is part of an email I received in my quest for info about becoming an expat,  I am looking for comments , " As far as health care, I'm afraid you will be aghast at the care here.  I've been lucky in that I got into a great doctor's surgery that listened to me, and took the fact that I was a 30 year veteran nurse and knew what I was talking about.  They listened, as helped me out with several illness I have and I've been fortunate have them.  Now, my poor husband, who goes to the same surgery, is suffering with kidney stones, and has been waiting 6 weeks for an ultra sound in AGONY!  Part of it is his fault, as he's probably not as pushy as I am, however, not many people would suffer as he is.  I work in a sheltered housing accommodation, meaning I am a manager of 55 flats of elderly people.  I see their care, mis-managed every single day.  I've seen a near crippled with pain, 75 year old wait 3 years to have a knee replacement, a woman in pain so bad, she'd faint with it, be sent home, saying it was probably "arthritis."  This 70 year old woman, later was admitted to hospital, found to have a broken leg, and later died from a pulmonary embolism as they kept her in bed too long and she developed a clot.  Please don't think I'm saying any of this to be cruel or scare you, I'm just being realistic.  I was 50 when I came here, still young enough to have some health, but old enough to be a wee bit fearful of what would happen if we stayed here long term".  I could add to this from personal conversations with UK citizens but will leave this for now.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Health Care
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:53:16 PM »
Are you concerned about the care you will receive in the UK?

In my experience, you have to do a fair bit of research yourself and push your GP for help.  I do think if I hear the line, "It's just a virus" regarding my family or friends one more time I will scream.  Currently hoping my MIL's diagnosis of "it's just a virus" is correct and that she really is okay to wait 6 weeks before returning...

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »
There's plenty of horror stories about health care in the US.  That doesn't match my personal experience with the NHS but it may very well be some people's experience.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »
I have given birth to two of my three children in England in two different NHS Trusts and both were completely opposite experiences. I had a stressful experience in one that left me nervous throughout my pregnancy and the care after delivery was horrible. The other one was a completely positive experience. That same positive to me, NHS was positively crap when my husband's grandmother was on a four-year waiting list for a knee replacement. My husband paid for her operation in a private clinic to keep her from pain.

What I have learned over the many years with the NHS is that they've given excellent care to my family when the illnesses were grave (cancer) but crap with the lesser issues. But, I've found that in the USA too. No place is perfect.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »
A visit to the reviews on trip advisor will show the same effect.  Jesus could open a restaurant and somebody is going to leave a review "absolutely disgusting..."

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab