Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help! Considering a move and not sure where to start even thinking about it! :(  (Read 1804 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi All,

I have been offered the opportunity to take a 2 year assignment and work in our London office. For a family of 2 adults and 2 young girls (5 and 7), where we live is the most important part. My office is right on the London Metal Exchange. I dont mind commuting up to 30-40 mins, preferably in something where I can sit and not stand the whole way (like in NYC sometimes). Schools are the most important part for us, second by easy commute to work. Can someone please suggest some locations to look at? I know you will all ask for price range, I guess I would say 1700 - 2300 range (since I have no clue).

thanks in advance!!!
-L

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
That price range will make it rough. We're zone 5 in Greater London and finding a good commute AND good schools...well we're giving up and going back to the US.

Even with being in Zone 5, my husband's commute is verging on 90 minutes to two hours every day door to door, and that's just one train into London, no Tube (and yes, standing the whole way some mornings). Our house is small and affordable on the low end of your price range, but the schools are poor so we have to pay for private schooling.

I think you can manage two out of three -- good schools and a nice place to live -- on that price, but it'll come at the cost of the commute.

Thanks Gwen for the prompt reply. I was only taking a stab at the housing price based on what i've seen online. If I wanted to have all 3 and keep my commute to under 1 hour, what would be my price range for a comfortable 2 bedroom and in what areas should I look?

That price range will make it rough. We're zone 5 in Greater London and finding a good commute AND good schools...well we're giving up and going back to the US.

Even with being in Zone 5, my husband's commute is verging on 90 minutes to two hours every day door to door, and that's just one train into London, no Tube (and yes, standing the whole way some mornings). Our house is small and affordable on the low end of your price range, but the schools are poor so we have to pay for private schooling.

I think you can manage two out of three -- good schools and a nice place to live -- on that price, but it'll come at the cost of the commute.

• Liked: 70
I live in the Shoreditch area which is about 0.75 miles from the London Metal Exchange.  When looking to purchase recently we found Bow to be more reasonable than some other areas and there is lots of new housing there.  We pay in the middle of your budget to rent a 2 bedroom, no garden in a block and I couldn't speak on schools in this area.  I think you're going to want to be further out if you want 3+ bedrooms and / or a proper garden on your budget.

Because you're on the north east side of London I'd guess your mainline stations would be Liverpool Street for Essex and Moorgate for Hertford.  You may want to check into what's along the mainline trains heading in those directions.  I used to live in Essex, it was too far away from London for me personally (I worked in SE London at the time), but the journey into Liverpool Street from Brentwood (a truly lovely area of Essex) was only about 45 minutes and I mostly got a seat if I aimed to arrive for 8:30 rather than 9 am.

Thank you Larissa, I dont think we care much for a garden and if we can getaway with a small house vs an apartment that would be awesome. Having a seat on the train is a must for me lol.. I get stuck sometimes standing and its a horrible ride (in or out).

Thank you for your reply! :)

I live in the Shoreditch area which is about 0.75 miles from the London Metal Exchange.  When looking to purchase recently we found Bow to be more reasonable than some other areas and there is lots of new housing there.  We pay in the middle of your budget to rent a 2 bedroom, no garden in a block and I couldn't speak on schools in this area.  I think you're going to want to be further out if you want 3+ bedrooms and / or a proper garden on your budget.

Because you're on the north east side of London I'd guess your mainline stations would be Liverpool Street for Essex and Moorgate for Hertford.  You may want to check into what's along the mainline trains heading in those directions.  I used to live in Essex, it was too far away from London for me personally (I worked in SE London at the time), but the journey into Liverpool Street from Brentwood (a truly lovely area of Essex) was only about 45 minutes and I mostly got a seat if I aimed to arrive for 8:30 rather than 9 am.

• Liked: 70
Thank you Larissa, I dont think we care much for a garden and if we can getaway with a small house vs an apartment that would be awesome. Having a seat on the train is a must for me lol.. I get stuck sometimes standing and its a horrible ride (in or out).

Thank you for your reply! :)

I'm married with no children and my priorities are price, view, outside space (a postage stamp!), and easy access to high streets, shops, and things to do.  This will influence my recommendations as I very much prefer proper city living in a smaller flat over tons of space.  Essex about drove me crazy because it was a commuter belt with nothing of it's own.  Most of our friends with kids live there and love it!  They have space and eat in kitchens and drive everywhere and don't understand how I deal without those things (I very rarely drive).

Check out the Bow and Mile End - both along the canals.  Hackney, Bethnal Green and Hoxton are nice and close.  I like Hoxton a lot.  Isle of Dogs may be of interest as well, it's the isle that juts out into the river with Canary Wharf at the top across the river from Greenwich, connected by footpath under the river.  I'd live in Bethnal Green if it was better connected, my husband drives sometimes so it's not as suitable as where we live.  I can't speak at all for schools in the area (and clearly prefer East rather than North of the area you're working in).  I don't like Whitechapel.  It's not a thing I can voice, but when my sister came to visit and we went to a friend's house there she said she wasn't keen either.

I like Keatons because of their quick view, they aren't the only estate agent, I'm just biased.

Bow, www.keatons.com/property-details/3613-coborn-road-e3 and www.keatons.com/property-details/2661-tredegar-road-e3

Hoxton, www.keatons.com/property-details/3662-weymouth-terrace-e2

Isle of Dog, www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/40290709?search_identifier=a0ec9c325c6395879a7485e510f41c38#rGBMbJHmLzJRio5m.97  This is the street I really wanted to purchase a house on, but we missed out :(

Mile End, though to be honest, I probably wouldn't pick this particular place because of the exact location, www.keatons.com/property-details/5928-argyle-road-e1

Bethnal Green, but small on the inside, www.keatons.com/property-details/5756-kirton-gardens-e2

Limehouse, www.keatons.com/property-details/5618-narrow-street-e14

Does it have to be a seat or could it be without a seat if it's a short commute?  I'm 4 stops away on 2 trains from my work.  It takes me roughly 30 minutes, 15 of which are on a train.  I get a seat on one tube without fail but on the other I nearly never do.  Since it's only 2 stops, it doesn't really matter to me, it's 5 minutes.  The closer into London you are, and therefore the later your commute starts, may mean you fail to get a seat as those further out who have longer commutes, start earlier, beating you to them.  Worth it for me.  I'm stand for 5 minutes to avoid a 90 minute commute!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:08:11 PM by Larissa »

• Liked: 4985
You will be so close to the absolute heart of London that if you need a seat, I would recommend living within walking distance of work.  The tubes and trains are not comfortable as you get closer to London.

A good rule of thumb for rent is take your annual salary and divide by 30.  That is the max a landlord will allow your monthly rent to be.

As you don't want outdoor space, it will be much easier for you to live close to work.  But do be cognizant of where you will hang your laundry (dryers are rare).  With 4 people you'll have clothes draped around the house permanently!

• Liked: 1891
I live in Twickenham and really like it, it's a 25 minute train to Waterloo.  It's relaxed, leafy and has good schools.  Look on right move.com to find out what you can rent for your money.  It will also tell you what schools are nearby and how they are rated.

I'm afraid you may have to give up your requirement to always have a train seat as that's just not gonna happen as a London commuter.  Most of the time you'll be jammed in like a Japanese salaryman and thankful to pay thousands per year for the privilege.  Joking aside, nobody will take you seriously because that's so far from reality.

Are you absolutely sure you don't want outside space where you children can play? It's also nice to have somewhere to be when we have nice weather, without a/c you might be glad of some fresh air.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab