Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: apply/getting uk driving license  (Read 947 times)

• Liked: 0
apply/getting uk driving license
« on: May 11, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »
I have been in the UK with a spousal visa for a couple years in and out and now need to apply for driving license...have applied for application through DVLA but need to know how long it takes with the tests etc. please fill  me in on any info you may have thanks

• Liked: 4985
Re: apply/getting uk driving license
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
Depends.

When I applied for my provisional, I signed up for the first available theory test which was about 6 weeks away.  As soon as I passed that, I signed up for the first available practical test which was 4 months away.  So took about 5.5 months from start to finish.  I was very fortunate to pass on my first attempt.

I took about 10 hours worth of lessons to learn how to pass the test.  I know others who have taken 2-4 hours worth of lessons and been fine.  Others who have needed many more hours of lessons.  Everyone is a bit different.

There is also an option of an intensive course which is 5 days and you take your test on the last day.

• Liked: 3595
apply/getting uk driving license
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »
Also, remember that if it's been more than 12 months since you first entered the UK on your spousal visa, you are no longer allowed to drive on your US licence... Which means you will be considered a learner driver and will have to abide by learner driver rules.

So, you will need to display L plates on your car, you must be accompanied at all times by a driver over 21 who has held a full UK licence for at least 3 years, and you will not be allowed to drive on motorways until you have your UK licence.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »
Also, remember that if it's been more than 12 months since you first entered the UK on your spousal visa, you are no longer allowed to drive on your US licence... Which means you will be considered a learner driver and will have to abide by learner driver rules.

So, you will need to display L plates on your car, you must be accompanied at all times by a driver over 21 who has held a full UK licence for at least 3 years, and you will not be allowed to drive on motorways until you have your UK licence.

I was wondering if you know, I have about six months left in my US license. Do I need to get the provisional license before I do proper lessons etc? Or will they accept my American license?

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
I know you will need the provisional to be able to book and take the tests but I'm not sure about doing lessons - I guess you would have to ask your driving instructor/driving school.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
I have been in the UK with a spousal visa for a couple years in and out and now need to apply for driving license...have applied for application through DVLA but need to know how long it takes with the tests etc. please fill  me in on any info you may have thanks

Here in the Newcastle/Gateshead area it's about a 2 month wait between booking and taking a practical test, but it can be less if you are able to grab a cancellation.  I think it was about 3 to 4 weeks lead time for the theory/hazard test. 

I was wondering if you know, I have about six months left in my US license. Do I need to get the provisional license before I do proper lessons etc? Or will they accept my American license?

My instructor accepted my American license for lessons, I just needed to get a provisional before I could take the theory/hazard test (as ksand already mentioned).
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »
Just to clear this up for my own sake...

So, I may be able to do lessons on my American license without having to get a provisional right away (as long as I am within my 12 months), but I will need to get a provisional before doing any test for the actual license?

Also I am not sure if I am even in my 12 months. I have been in the UK as a student (so not permanent) until February this year when I re-entered as a fiancee, then spouse. I know it will probably be safer for me to just get my provisional first, but I was just curious! I have always wanted my license here (although UK roads scare me!), but have relied on public transportation or my husband driving just fine. However, now that I am job searching, I am finding jobs that are only just on the other side of the city that would take only 20 minutes to get to in the car but an hour and a half using public transport!  :o

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 09:50:32 AM »
Just to clear this up for my own sake...

So, I may be able to do lessons on my American license without having to get a provisional right away (as long as I am within my 12 months), but I will need to get a provisional before doing any test for the actual license?

Also I am not sure if I am even in my 12 months. I have been in the UK as a student (so not permanent) until February this year when I re-entered as a fiancee, then spouse. I know it will probably be safer for me to just get my provisional first, but I was just curious!

I'd count your one year from when you first arrived as a student. Exiting and reentering doesn't reset the 1 year, although I'm not sure how it works when you're on different visas that don't overlap. Better safe than sorry.

You'll need your provisional anyway to take the tests. It only takes a few weeks to get it. If you didn't have your UK provisional, but should have had it, your insurance (or your instructor's insurance) won't cover you and you'll essentially be an uninsured driver. Not a good way to start a driving record!

Even if you don't need your licence right now, I'd suggest getting it sooner rather than later if you can. It might save you scrambling and stressing later. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 68
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 08:13:02 PM »
Thanks for all that! I'm not willing to take a chance,  just wanted clarification. I didn't know if it made a difference between being here on a settlement visa and a temporary visa, but even if it did it sounds way more beneficial to get the provisional. Thanks again :-)

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 08:30:03 PM »
Thanks for all that! I'm not willing to take a chance,  just wanted clarification. I didn't know if it made a difference between being here on a settlement visa and a temporary visa, but even if it did it sounds way more beneficial to get the provisional. Thanks again :-)

It's basically about when you became resident in the UK. You initially became resident when you arrived here on your Tier 4 visa... so your 12 months started then.

Although you went back to the US to apply for your fiance visa, it was only for a few weeks and was essentially temporary due to your Tier 4 visa expiring... if you hadn't had to leave the UK to get it, you would have continued your residency in the UK by switching to FLR(M). So, I would say that your 12 months didn't reset with the fiance visa, due to your previous continuous residency in the UK immediately beforehand.

I wouldn't take any chances either because if you were to drive on your US licence and it turned out that the 12 months didn't reset, then you can be charged with driving without a valid licence and also without valid insurance.

Also, be aware that with a provisional licence you are subject to the rules of learner drivers:
- you must display L plates on the car at all times when you are driving
- you must always be accompanied by a full UK licence holder, who is over 21 and has held their licence for at least 3 years
- you cannot drive on motorways until you have your full UK licence

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab