Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: In a real bind, would greatly appreciate some advice!  (Read 774 times)

• Liked: 13
In a real bind, would greatly appreciate some advice!
« on: May 13, 2016, 10:17:40 AM »
So we live in London at the moment, which has improved but if any of you have seen some of my previous posts...it's been tough to adjust. My husband however has recently been offered a job in New York City. My best friend (who I miss dearly) also happened to move there last year. We are both very excited at the prospect and the chance for me to finally move back to the states is served to us on a silver platter. His employers have said they'd like him to move over in six months. However my visa expires in late september so if we could move, it should probably be sooner.

However...I have a (now) elderly cat who I moved over from America two years ago. I've had him for 15 years and love him so much. A year ago, he developed a heart problem and almost died twice. But he fought through it and he's still with us. The vet said he could live another year and it has been six months and he is a lot more stable, on medication and doesn't seem outwardly sick other than being thinner. He has slowed down but still jumps around and plays occasionally. We are going to confirm with a vet but I doubt he'd be labeled fit to fly. We've also looked at the Queen Mary, but that would take 8 nights but i'd be able to visit him several times a day.

Every day I miss my home and my friend (who's like family to me.) But then I couldnt live with myself if I abandoned my cat, there's just no way I can see leaving him after all we've been through, especially in the last year. Also, even though my husband says he wouldn't mind not taking the job if it meant leaving our cat, I still would feel bad that he would have to turn down a great opportunity.

Anyone been through anything like this? I'm so torn!

• Liked: 4985
Re: In a real bind, would greatly appreciate some advice!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
Talk to the vet and see what they say.  I think you have any kitty in the cabin on the return flight home if you wanted.  The flight is only a matter of hours.  I like to think you'd be okay to fly.

QM2 is a great option but I believe the kennels book out a year or more in advance.

You'll figure this out.  I would take the opportunity if it seems right.  I have two kitties that are 14 and 15, so know what you mean.   :D

• Liked: 13
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
thanks  :), we are seeing the vet this weekend. hopefully there are some options. i did actually inquire with the QM2 and there is space but if i can get the whole thing over with in a couple of hours vs a couple of days, then i think that would be better. i really do hope we can make it work!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:15:36 PM »
I meant to say that your kitty should be able to fly in the cabin on the return flight.   :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab