Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Genuinely feeling like I'm drowning at this point...  (Read 5063 times)

• Liked: 1260
Genuinely feeling like I'm drowning at this point...
« on: May 17, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »
Sorry to vent. Just feeling so frustrated and almost like I'm suffocating. Just filling out my paperwork for my FLR-M so I can extend my spousal visa and now I have to pay a £500 healthcare surcharge. It feels just infuriating because I work and pay taxes. I don't actually get access to any financial assistance if I'm in an unfortunate position where I need them. They just me to hemorrhage out more money it feels. It's just upsetting that I already pay NHS with my taxes yet need to pay a large additional fee because of new changes - not to mention I can barely get an appointment when I need one with a doctor [I think I went once and that was to register]. The worst part is not having the right to vote to even have a say in immigration changes. It feels like they are making it exceptionally hard for all non-EU immigrants. Gets super stressing and depressing at times and just needed to vent a bit.  :(
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 13
Re: Genuinely feeling like I'm drowning at this point...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
ugh, i feel your pain as i have to pay this too this year :( it is set up to discourage immigrants but it's so frustrating because we are paying twice. i've also had a horrible experience with the NHS so it really does sting. especially when you consider that all this money is being paid, yet NHS funding has been stagnant under Cameron. Where is it all going?

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »
Honestly, it's just upsetting and enraging! When I checked in November it was £200 cheaper as well and the price shot up in the span of two months and they are now applying new rules and fees as well. If the charge was for something other than what I already have my tax money going to, I could maybe try to rationalize it! If I were given any say in government/the ability to have my voice heard while they take my money, I could try to rationalize it. But it just seems like I'm giving more and more money away by the day with nothing really in return because I was born outside the EU and happened to fall in love with somebody from another country. It just feels really unfair.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 3595
Genuinely feeling like I'm drowning at this point...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:55:43 PM »
It's frustrating that you have to pay the NHS charge as well as paying NHS through taxes... Unfortunately, if you don't pay it your visa will be refused :(.

The NHS surcharge hasn't changed since it was introduced in April 2015 - it's £200 per year of the visa. The visa fees themselves rise in March/April every year, so the increase from £649 to £811 was sadly inevitable.

So the visa plus the NHS fee is £162 more than in November.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
Yeah, I mean as my husband said "what are we going to do? Pay it." We don't really have a choice, it's just frustrating having to pay taxes towards the NHS as well as the additional surcharge when I feel like it's nearly impossible to get an appointment at the doctors around me anyways. Just needed to rant a bit because it was feeling completely unfair [didn't account for the additional £500 surcharge I'd be paying as it wasn't required for my original visa so was a bit of a shock to the system]. Like I said, I wouldn't have been as bothered if it were a charge for something that my taxes don't already go to.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
My way of rationalising the IHS fee is that it is my 'insurance policy.' It's cheaper than any insurance policy I could have back in the US and cheaper than travel insurance would be for 2.5 years...

Would I rather not pay that? Heck, yeah. Do I think it's unfair? YES.

Only way to fix it is to get the current government out and a new government in. I do believe we are stuck with them for the next 5ish years... or do I misunderstand UK politics?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
I know this isn't any consolation when you have to pay unfair fees, but you might feel better about the NHS if you changed your GP. If you can't get an appointment when you need one, see if there's another surgery that might suit you better. It can be very hit and miss with GPs, but a good one is really, really good. I've had nothing but positive experiences with mine. It's at least worth investigating if there's somewhere else you can go.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 05:26:36 PM »
My way of rationalising the IHS fee is that it is my 'insurance policy.' It's cheaper than any insurance policy I could have back in the US and cheaper than travel insurance would be for 2.5 years...

Would I rather not pay that? Heck, yeah. Do I think it's unfair? YES.

Only way to fix it is to get the current government out and a new government in. I do believe we are stuck with them for the next 5ish years... or do I misunderstand UK politics?

Right but my understanding is that my tax money does go to pay the NHS and I also have the option of getting additional healthcare through my job if I want for a lower fee than £200 a year. And, again, it wouldn't be so bad if everybody in the country needed to pay or even all immigrants, but that isn't the case from my understanding. From those I'm friends with that are EU immigrants, they don't have to go through any of this or pay any of these fees [unless things have changed recently].

If the answer were just to get a new government, I would really not have any power there as I don't have the right to vote currently. If I had the ability to vote for change, perhaps I wouldn't feel as bitter about it I guess.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 05:31:49 PM »
I know this isn't any consolation when you have to pay unfair fees, but you might feel better about the NHS if you changed your GP. If you can't get an appointment when you need one, see if there's another surgery that might suit you better. It can be very hit and miss with GPs, but a good one is really, really good. I've had nothing but positive experiences with mine. It's at least worth investigating if there's somewhere else you can go.

You are totally right by the way! I just moved to a smaller town in a nicer area instead of the massively busy city centre I was in, so hopefully this should make a difference! I don't often need a doctor but I gave up ages ago when I kept having to wait a week for an appointment, knowing I would feel better by that point. It really probably was just the places close by the me that was the problem in terms of wait times. To me it's more about the paying this surcharge when I already pay taxes that should have a percentage going towards NHS already I think and I can pay for healthcare through my work. It just didn't make sense to me. I felt like I wouldn't have been as bothered if they just upped the visa by £500 [I would be super annoyed for sure at that much of an increase, but it at least wouldn't feel like I was paying for something I already pay for]. I guess overall it just felt like being kicked when you're already down, if that makes sense? Seems like my immigration status has just caused a bit more problems over the last few years than I anticipated and this was sort of breaking point for me yesterday I think.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 533
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 05:50:34 PM »
Only way to fix it is to get the current government out and a new government in.

Truth, plainly spoken!

"Jeremy Corbyn today defended mass migration saying it is a “plus” to the British economy and vowed migrants make an “amazing contribution” to our society."

“Migration actually is a plus to our economy as a whole. Those people pay a lot in taxes, receive much less on average in benefits than the rest of the community and make an amazing contribution."

We have the answer in front of us. Jeremy Corbyn is on our side, and is on the side of workers. He can win this (with a little help from our Scottish Brothers)!

MOMENTUM
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »

If the answer were just to get a new government, I would really not have any power there as I don't have the right to vote currently. If I had the ability to vote for change, perhaps I wouldn't feel as bitter about it I guess.

I get that you're upset, but if the shoe was on the other foot and your husband had moved with you to the US and was on a Green Card he wouldn't be able to vote either, at least not until he became a citizen.

4. Becoming a resident does not enable you to vote
There is a widely held misconception that carrying a green card (the informal name for your permanent resident ID card) allows you the right to vote in U.S. elections. While there are exceptions at local and state level (be sure to check voting requirements before heading to the ballot), permanent residents are forbidden by law to vote in elections that require voters to be a U.S. citizen. In short, if you have not acquired U.S. citizenship, you are ineligible to vote at senatorial, gubernatorial and presidential elections, as well as most other elections across the land.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/01/moving-u-s-5-things-dont-tell-visa-process
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »
I get that you're upset, but if the shoe was on the other foot and your husband had moved with you to the US and was on a Green Card he wouldn't be able to vote either, at least not until he became a citizen.

4. Becoming a resident does not enable you to vote
There is a widely held misconception that carrying a green card (the informal name for your permanent resident ID card) allows you the right to vote in U.S. elections. While there are exceptions at local and state level (be sure to check voting requirements before heading to the ballot), permanent residents are forbidden by law to vote in elections that require voters to be a U.S. citizen. In short, if you have not acquired U.S. citizenship, you are ineligible to vote at senatorial, gubernatorial and presidential elections, as well as most other elections across the land.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/01/moving-u-s-5-things-dont-tell-visa-process

I appreciate that. My response about voting is merely a response to the comment about bringing in new government. While that could be the answer, it's not one I have power to even try to participate in. While I don't really have any power in this situation as I've paid regardless, it doesn't make the fact that I feel I'm paying double for healthcare any better.  Again, there's nothing I can do, but I did come to the airing cupboard because I felt like it was a safe place to just say "I feel overwhelmed. It doesn't feel fair." etc. even though there's nothing I can do to change that. I appreciate where you're coming from, it's just frustrating.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:35:49 PM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 85
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
I appreciate that. My response about voting is merely a response to the comment about bringing in new government. While that could be the answer, it's not one I have power to even try to participate in. While I don't really have any power in this situation as I've paid regardless, it doesn't make the fact that I feel I'm paying double for healthcare any better.  Again, there's nothing I can do, but I did come to the airing cupboard because I felt like it was a safe place to just say "I feel overwhelmed. It doesn't feel fair." etc. even though there's nothing I can do to change that. I appreciate where you're coming from, it's just frustrating.

Is a bit like having to pay State & Federal tax and medicare and Social Security tax when living and working in the US but not a US Citizen, you would have to work for 10 years before you would get any $$$ back... most unfair but its the price you have to pay to be together.. Change doctors if you are unhappy with the one you have! or move to Scotland we have a better government  ;D
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 01:15:39 PM »
Is a bit like having to pay State & Federal tax and medicare and Social Security tax when living and working in the US but not a US Citizen, you would have to work for 10 years before you would get any $$$ back... most unfair but its the price you have to pay to be together.. Change doctors if you are unhappy with the one you have! or move to Scotland we have a better government  ;D

Yeah I totally appreciate that. I think it's unfair on both ends of the spectrum. Although, as a US citizen you did still have to pay all those taxes as well paying for healthcare. Not sure if I misunderstood what you wrote, but that side is not limited to non-US citizens living in the US. Do you really have to pay social security if you aren't a US citizen? Never knew that! I assumed you would be exempt because you wouldn't have a social security number as a non-citizen so that's quite interesting actually [although I could totally be wrong about whether or not you'd have a SSN because I didn't look into that side of things for my husband]. As you said, it's the price of being together and we've paid it. I get it in theory [in some ways] and I know I can't change it and that it's life etc. I've come to terms with it at this point because it is what it is, just felt like 99% of the people in my life wouldn't understand how stressing the process can be so I turned to here just to vent. Definitely will be getting a new GP so hopefully will have a much better experience from now on  :)

To be fair, I've never had a bad experience in Scotland! haha I loved driving across the border into Scotland because it was absolutely stunning visually ;D
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 533
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Well one thing you can do is educate those around you. There are so many misconceptions. For instance, many believe that people just move here and "sign on to benefits". We know that this is not reality for FLR folk.

Many think of us all....asylum seekers....EU migrants....all of us, as being here under the same conditions. It's understandable.....I've never seen the media make an effort to break it down. And this is also understandable....it's a dry topic.

But if you are at a party or family gathering and it comes up, you can mention that there are different kinds of immigrants. You don't have to wave the red flag like me.

As far as it being a price to pay to be together...I don't know. I refuse to speak to any notion of "fairness" any longer - more so to questions of morality. And ultimately to the fact that these are very destructive, ideological policies....immigrants do contribute, we are a net positive. The idea that we are takers says much more about the darkness in the mind of the accuser.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links