Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Genuinely feeling like I'm drowning at this point...  (Read 5038 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: Genuinely feeling like I'm drowning at this point...
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »
You play golf in the rain?
I'm a golfer.....of course I do. Not one of those mamby pamby people who wants to play golf. I've a 36 hole comp coming up this Sunday....not many people entered because it is too much walking/standing.

I did get dumped on the last 3 holes today.....but I had already screwed up enough not to win the group money today. Damn.......these Brits do like to gamble.........
Fred

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 06:26:41 PM »
Haha bonus points for using the phrase "namby pamby"  ;D

I remember the first time driving my a golf course where people were playing in the rain when visiting my FIL in Whitby. It was absolutely chucking it down and I was like "...what?! People are still out there playing?!? WHY?!?" I had never seen people play all seasons/weather before and I remember telling my parents excitedly as they are golfers lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 85
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 06:37:45 PM »
but you are right about it being a dry topic

I like to talk about immigration as if it were a Billy Mays infomercial -- BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! When you pay your annual healthcare surcharge of £200 in ONE EASY INSTALMENT of £500, you'll get ... THE SAME SERVICE AS YOU WERE BEFORE! [audience oohs and aahs] Don't hesitate -- marry a non-EU national today! [VFS Global web address flashes on screen] [applause]

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 07:06:38 PM »
I like to talk about immigration as if it were a Billy Mays infomercial -- BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! When you pay your annual healthcare surcharge of £200 in ONE EASY INSTALMENT of £500, you'll get ... THE SAME SERVICE AS YOU WERE BEFORE! [audience oohs and aahs] Don't hesitate -- marry a non-EU national today! [VFS Global web address flashes on screen] [applause]

Omg I just burst out laughing out loud with that one. Thank you, I fudging needed that! AND I CANT EVEN GET A LAUGH OUT OF MY HUSBAND WITH THIS BECAUSE HE DOESNT KNOW WHO BILLY MAYS IS!!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »
Hey!! What happened to my message?
Fred

• Liked: 537
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »
Hey!! What happened to my message?

It will probably show up randomly as KFDancers did. It wasn't there a few hours ago, but it came back. Maybe it's bing sucked into...the twilight zone?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 11:03:22 PM »
Omg I just burst out laughing out loud with that one. Thank you, I fudging needed that! AND I CANT EVEN GET A LAUGH OUT OF MY HUSBAND WITH THIS BECAUSE HE DOESNT KNOW WHO BILLY MAYS IS!!

Remember to show him the Sham-wow and Oxy-clean ads. :)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »
Remember to show him the Sham-wow and Oxy-clean ads. :)

I was trying to explain an episode of South Park that he hadn't seen that had Billy Mays in it and I was like "oh..right..you didn't have him...uhh...ummm...sham wow?...oxyclean...? Bueller...?" He legit was just staring at me and I tried to explain it and do an impression while laughing and he was like ...righhhhttt so.... Hahaha
My, how time flies....

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 10:12:21 AM »
Bueller...?

So trying to figure out the Bueller connection, it's one of my favourite movies. Billy Mays wasn't in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Are you thinking of the monotone guy from the Clear Eyes commercials? He was the teacher!

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 10:17:24 AM »
hahaha no no, he isn't connected to Ferris Beuller in any way, I just was getting a very vacant look from my husband as I was trying to trigger knowledge of Billy Mays. I got literally no response so I started with the" Bueller...? Anyone...?"  :P
My, how time flies....

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 10:35:43 AM »
[...] the monotone guy from the Clear Eyes commercials?

Not trying to pull a "when I was your age" but I laughed at this. If that's how you describe Ben Stein, I'm guessing you're in your early/mid twenties and missed out on the glory that was "Win Ben Stein's Money"?

When I was at Syracuse in 2002-ish, Ben Stein gave a speech at the business school there, and although I didn't see it because I wasn't a business student, he did walk right past me on campus. He's very short.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
Not trying to pull a "when I was your age" but I laughed at this. If that's how you describe Ben Stein, I'm guessing you're in your early/mid twenties and missed out on the glory that was "Win Ben Stein's Money"?

HEY NOW! haaha I am mid/late twenties and I used to watch "Win Ben Stein's Money"! It was so good!  ;D
My, how time flies....

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 11:12:27 AM »

When I was at Syracuse in 2002-ish, Ben Stein gave a speech at the business school there, and although I didn't see it because I wasn't a business student, he did walk right past me on campus. He's very short.

Nope, try early 30's. We didn't have cable from 1997-2003 when the show was on Comedy Central. So my knowledge of him was Ferris Bueller then those commercials.

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »
hahaha no no, he isn't connected to Ferris Beuller in any way, I just was getting a very vacant look from my husband as I was trying to trigger knowledge of Billy Mays. I got literally no response so I started with the" Bueller...? Anyone...?"  :P

Oooh, if you had repeated Bueller twice I would have got the joke. :)

Bueller...Bueller....anyone?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »
It's just upsetting that I already pay NHS with my taxes yet need to pay a large additional fee

It feels like they are making it exceptionally hard for all non-EU immigrants.

Some EEA nationals and all their dependants have to buy Comprehensive Sickness Insurance and they want to know why they aren't alllowed to buy the cheaper £200 a year IHS, instead of having to buy private insurance that is based on age and their health.

If your sponsor stops working, then because you are on a UK spouse visa you don't lose the right to work and live in the UK. If the EEA national stops being a 'qualified person' then they and all their dependants lose their right to reside and work in the UK.

They also have to keep up to date with all the changing EU rules in the UK to ensure they are maintaining a right to reside in the UK at all times, whereas once you have your visa you follow the rules of when your visa was granted. The new Immigration Act 2016 that became law on 12 May, means that some immigration crime will now become a criminal offence, which means that the proceeds of that crime can be seized and the person committing the crime can go to jail.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:14:37 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links