Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: An Electricity Bill doesn't prove anything!  (Read 1807 times)

• Liked: 1892
An Electricity Bill doesn't prove anything!
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »

There, I just had to say it.  I'm so tired of being asked to provide an electricity or water bill to prove my address.  Most of the time they'll even accept a copy or even a fax.  Hello....it's 2016 and I can fake that in 10 minutes!

You can even buy fakes on the web FFS. 

Along similar lines, a credit card is not a form of ID, I'm speaking to you, stupid post office.  There's no picture, no address, just a name but that proves it. 

Rant over, go about your normal business...

• Liked: 1260
Re: An Electricity Bill doesn't prove anything!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
hahahahah I went with a coworker into the post office during our lunch break ad she needed a form of ID, for some reason my first instinct was Costco card because it had name, signature, and picture on it. I don't know why that was my default (I think it was mostly because she had just shuffled through her cards and I saw it and went OH!). But instead they wanted the credit card  with literally just name on it. It's not like it even has an address! I am with you on the whole "how s a credit card a form of ID" thing!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »
Hear, hear. It's ridiculous, and increasingly so when you consider that we're being encouraged to go paperless. If everyone did that how would anyone be able to prove who they were?
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:04:36 PM »
I feel your pain.  Sometimes this country operates like 3rd world.

Sent via iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:23:14 PM »
Hear, hear. It's ridiculous, and increasingly so when you consider that we're being encouraged to go paperless. If everyone did that how would anyone be able to prove who they were?

I have to admit, while I LOVE going paperless, it makes getting appropriate documents for visa/mortgage/etc. SO much harder (especially when they don't allow printed out copies)!! That definitely bugs me to no end!

I think it's funny that the post office needs proof of ID - in which cards are counted - but your spouse can use your cars to pick up your package for you lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy my spouse is allowed to get packages for me, I just think it's another bit that's silly about what is/isn't proof of ID
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »

Well there's technology now that allows you to place a harmless chip under your pet's skin...perhaps something similar?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »
I feel your pain.  Sometimes this country operates like 3rd world.

Sent via iPhone using Tapatalk

But you have to have a paper bill in your name to renew your driving license in Colorado.
My last license has the most pissed of photo of me because I had to go home and find a bill after waiting 45 minutes to speak with a person. It'd be nice if that info was somewhere to remind you... 5 years is a long time between renewals. I won't ever forget again!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »
But you have to have a paper bill in your name to renew your driving license in Colorado.

That's crazy! In Renewed mine when I was home last year in MA and I don't even think I needed to show a form of ID (but I might have - I have crap memory). I just filled out the form and they send the license to your address so I imagine that might be how they stop fraud? Or maybes I did have to show my passport but I definitely didn't need a paper bill! I would've been screwed as I definitely didn't have one!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
Well there's technology now that allows you to place a harmless chip under your pet's skin...perhaps something similar?
This is a bit of a hijack, but it's my thread so ....

I would accept to have one of those chips put in my hand if I could actually use it to prove who I am.  The computer work I do requires me to authenticate all the time, I have to carry keys and swipe cards, I must prove who I am literally 300 times a day. 

SOS, were you being sarcastic or can we sign you up for the cyborg army?

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
SOS, were you being sarcastic or can we sign you up for the cyborg army?

Well I just feel like one day maybe you would perhaps go into a store with a black light or something....be noodling around looking at an album or something and glance down to where your chip is embedded under the skin of your wrist. And in the glow of the light you would see the number 666. And then it would be too late. 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »
And then you would notice the kid behind the counter looking right at you and talking urgently into the phone.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 05:07:14 PM »
Looking at an album?  You are dating yourself!  I haven't bought an album since 1995!

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
Looking at an album?  You are dating yourself!  I haven't bought an album since 1995!

I started to say LP.

DJ: Here's one from Rush's LP Moving Pictures....going out to Mikey and Oliver over at the Tire Plant.

A modern day warrior, mean, mean stride....

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 09:36:45 PM »

I hear they're coming back in a big way.  :)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 11:55:03 PM »
Want to gain entry to your office, get on a bus, or perhaps buy a sandwich? We're all getting used to swiping a card to do all these things. But at Epicenter, a new hi-tech office block in Sweden, they are trying a different approach - a chip under the skin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31042477

I've always thought it would be a good idea to have one with relevant medical information so if you're unconscious and/or unable to communicate with the emergency services, a quick scan could give them all the information they need - your ID, relevant medical history, known allergies, emergency contact information, etc.  But it's one of those things that I think it's great in theory, but in practice, perhaps not. 

Sponsored Links